Aurora Refit

Selbourne

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Have you spotted any changes, other than the new cabins, carpets and new TV's?

There are new carpets virtually everywhere. For example Raffles has new carpets and new modern looking furniture and has a much lighter and airery feel to it. The whole ship is like new

Brian

2 hours ago, BrianI said:

Confirm that Neil Turnbul is the captain. Interesting that on the way down to check out some changes made to the engines we had to do a 3 hour full speed run and Aurora reached 27 knots. This was followed by a crash stop which involved putting the engines to full astern from 25 knots. There was a bit of vibration but the ship stopped in 6 lengths.

Brian

That must have been interesting to say the least!

We always enjoyed Neil Turnbull's broadcasts and one of his favourite terms ' going at the speed of a thousand gazelles ', which I'm sure applied here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jh1809 said:

I'm one who likes him. As he makes a lot of jokes, I don't think Legal Stylist need have any concerns about his sense of humour.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied.  The above definitely puts my mind at ease, my husband and I have a very peculiar relationship which we like to share with the world (even though we do get some very odd looks at times!)  I'm pleased we'll be able to be 'us' for our vow renewal without fear of making the poor Captain horribly uncomfortable.

Thanks Brian for the confirmation of Neil Turnbull as captain, and also about the amazing renovation done on Aurora.  We really can't wait to get on board!  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Do you know if the same Captain remains on board for our cruise on 24th April?

I should think it’s highly likely Jean. I’ve never known a Captain join a ship and leave after just one cruise.

13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Ah didn't know he had just joined.  I shall be interested to see what he is like, as up to now, have never seen a Captain around the ship and the female on Oriana left me cold.

I have been on 2 cruises with Neil Turnbull and have never seen him, even at the captains welcome, the first officer attended. Others who did said he was aloof and did not want to engage with passengers.

I found his announcements repetitive and boring with an air of arrogance.

But, many people seem to like him, so perhaps it's just me.

Andy

5 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I have been on 2 cruises with Neil Turnbull and have never seen him, even at the captains welcome, the first officer attended. Others who did said he was aloof and did not want to engage with passengers.

I found his announcements repetitive and boring with an air of arrogance.

But, many people seem to like him, so perhaps it's just me.

5 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Sounds like most of the Captains I have been told are wonderful.  Well, it doesn't change our enjoyment of the cruise.  As long as he is attending to the bridge, I don't care.

Edited by jeanlyon

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

and I would rather have a non Butlins Ent Manager!!  "Are we all having a lovely time?"  "I can't hear you".  Wave your arms.  Grrrrrr.  A bit of sophistication wouldn't go amiss.

You would have loved (not) Muster Drill in the theatre on Azura for my 4-night cruise last month Jean.  It was led by a member of the Entertainment Team and he asked everybody to play a game.  Whenever he mentioned it was Muster Station A or Alpha, everybody was to raise their arms making an "A", a la "YMCA" 😝.  Sadly, many joined in.  I was not one of them... 

I am not a killjoy but turning a serious event into a joke is not really funny.  I'm sure it will be different on your Aurora cruise!

and I would rather have a non Butlins Ent Manager!!  "Are we all having a lovely time?"  "I can't hear you".  Wave your arms.  Grrrrrr.  A bit of sophistication wouldn't go amiss.

Completely agree. On another thread I have listed a lot of the things that I like about P&O, but this would feature in my top 5 dislikes. Sadly, it is encouraged by the passengers who respond to these inane comments. If everyone did as we do and ignore them they would soon stop! 

5 minutes ago, Britboys said:

You would have loved (not) Muster Drill in the theatre on Azura for my 4-night cruise last month Jean.  It was led by a member of the Entertainment Team and he asked everybody to play a game.  Whenever he mentioned it was Muster Station A or Alpha, everybody was to raise their arms making an "A", a la "YMCA" 😝.  Sadly, many joined in.  I was not one of them... 

I am not a killjoy but turning a serious event into a joke is not really funny.  I'm sure it will be different on your Aurora cruise!

Dear God. I think I would have had to walk away! It’s bad enough having to be treated like morons in the theatre but, as you say, a muster drill defies belief. Like you, I’m no killjoy, but I hate being treated as though I am in a nursing home needing stimulation! Jean summed it up well. What happened to the sophistication?

6 hours ago, Britboys said:

Although I accept they are essential, muster drills are very mundane so I appreciate why they try different things, although YMCA seems to be taking it a bit far....

Perhaps they should incorporate it into the sail away party...

Sweet Caroline in an orange life jacket, I can see it now!!

Andy

15 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Although I accept they are essential, muster drills are very mundane so I appreciate why they try different things, although YMCA seems to be taking it a bit far....

Perhaps they should incorporate it into the sail away party...

Sweet Caroline in an orange life jacket, I can see it now!!

Andy

I think that might tempt me to go overboard and test the life jacket out... 😁

I'm not alone then!!  You're right, why do the passengers do it?  I can only assume that they like waving their arms about?

Andrew, you can imagine the comments from Shirley?  As an ex professional stage person, she cringes.  Also, like us, with the volume of some of the acts!  Absolutely deafening.  We have had to leave on a couple of occasions.

Edited by jeanlyon

26 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I'm not alone then!!  You're right, why do the passengers do it?  I can only assume that they like waving their arms about?

Andrew, you can imagine the comments from Shirley?  As an ex professional stage person, she cringes.  Also, like us, with the volume of some of the acts!  Absolutely deafening.  We have had to leave on a couple of occasions.

The volume on P&O is nothing compared to that on Marella Jean!  I had to walk out of the Live Lounge on three occasions when I tried Marella Discovery - and I was only on for 7 nights 😮😫

I don't know Jean.  On Marella Discovery, the Live Lounge is a large bar with a stage.  It was completely impossible to have a conversation unless you literally shouted into the ear of the person you were talking to.  Oddly, the volume seemed to be turned up at midnight!!!

Trouble is we don't have hearing aids so can't turn them down!!  Why on earth is it so loud?

We always sit towards the front in the theatre on Azura & Ventura because we need one of the wheelchair seats,  and don't have any problems with it being too loud. I wonder if the speakers in the main part of the theatre are set at a higher volume?

I suppose it's possible, but on Oriana they sometimes put the Headliners in the Pacific Lounge and it was just unbearable.  We sat with our fingers in our ears.  Went to a show in the theatre with 3 singers and the first time they were on it was quite enjoyable, the second time we left after the third number.  It was actually painful.

I am really looking forward to cruising on the (refitted) Aurora in under 2 weeks time! When we sailed on her last September I found the volume in the theatre fine and hopefully it still will be 🙂