Aurora Refit

Selbourne

Many thanks for posting these photos. Looks very nice to me. I hope that they have replaced the rearmost windows both sides of the Crows Nest, which have had blown sealed units for as long as we have been cruising on Aurora (6 cruises and counting)! It’s such a shame that you can’t see out of so many windows in a panoramic viewing lounge!. 

2 hours ago, BalbTheSailor said:

Someone put this on facebook, looks a bit cheap if you ask me, crammed more tables in, the chairs don't look like they are quality either. Sure the others were padded leather.

57226397_132990631150152_8125021033796206592_o.jpg

Thanks for getting this thread back on track Balb. Knew I could rely on you.  Yes those chairs don’t look half as comfy and easy to lounge in.  Maybe they are trying to  discourage those who camp out here the whole day nursing an empty cup!  It looks light and airy but I think those colours will show the stains quickly! 

20 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

Thanks for getting this thread back on track Balb. Knew I could rely on you.  Yes those chairs don’t look half as comfy and easy to lounge in.  Maybe they are trying to  discourage those who camp out here the whole day nursing an empty cup!  It looks light and airy but I think those colours will show the stains quickly! 

Raffles is a favourite place of mine on Aurora, and we like to go for a coffee there.  

The refit seems to have brightened up the venue, but like you say will show up any marks.

We've sailed on Aurora twice in the last couple of years, and have had a cabin on deck 8, just behind the 'secret door' that leads to Raffles.  As a result, we walked through Raffles several times a day, and we always saw the same people at the same tables - morning, afternoon and even sometimes in the evening.  I think there'll be less chance of them lingering in those chairs. 

Thanks for posting the photos.

I guess they have tried to make the Raffles area more of a relaxed coffee bar feel than the atrium bar that it was originally.

Not sure about some of those carpets.  Not keen on the corridor one and the Crows Nest one looks a bit depressing.  Seldom use Champions so not that bothered about that one.  The one in the Atrium looks very much like the one on Arcadia - perhaps they had some left over after her refit 😁

Sanding and treating the teak floor around the Terrace pool has been going on for the last few days. This has now finished and a whole raft of sun beds and chairs have appeared. There is now a team of people wiping them all down. 

Brian

17 minutes ago, BrianI said:

Sanding and treating the teak floor around the Terrace pool has been going on for the last few days. This has now finished and a whole raft of sun beds and chairs have appeared. There is now a team of people wiping them all down. 

Brian

I read somewhere that all the deck furniture had been renewed, so why the need to wipe it down?

Recently published on Cruise Critic News:

(3:20 p.m. BST) -- P&O Cruises Aurora cruise ship left dry dock in Brest, France, on April 8, following a 16-day refit that has seen the ship redesigned as an adults-only vessel.

The refit saw 28 brand-new cabins added to Deck 8 of the 19-year-old ship. Other areas, including public spaces, restaurants, bars and the ship's spahave also been refurbished.

The 1,910-passenger Aurora joins Arcadia and Oriana as the line's third child-free ship, though the latter will leave the fleet in August 2019.

Other updates include:

New furniture, carpet, curtains, soft furnishings and bathroom fittings in all suites, including the two-floor penthouse suites.

A new look at The Oasis Spa, with refurbished treatment rooms, thermal suite and steam room.

The Glass House has been remodelled with new decor, tables, artwork and soft furnishings.

New carpets, soft furnishings and furniture in Anderson’s, Carmen’s, Charlie’s, Masquerade and Raffles venues.

New poolside furniture and tiling at the Riviera and Crystal pools

New carpets in the atrium and main dining room

New mattresses for all cabins will be added over the next six months.

I wonder if there is still a free sauna & steam room?  If you get chance to find out Brian, that would be great.

17 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I read somewhere that all the deck furniture had been renewed, so why the need to wipe it down?

It has probably been stored somewhere for a while and would be in need of a quick clean down.

The good news for those of us who like Aurora is that, seemingly having spent a fair amount of money on this refurbishment, it suggests that P&O / Carnival see Aurora as continuing in service with the company for at least the next three or four years or so.

• Like 1

As the thread starter, I would like to thank those who have posted so many pictures and information following the refit. As is often the case, we have now established far more information than has been provided by P&O. 

I dare not show my wife the photo of the white bathroom in the new cabins as she has been hoping that the horrid pink ones in the existing cabins would be replaced with white and, unless I’ve missed it, I don’t believe that we have heard whether or not this has happened!

It’s a shame that they couldn’t have shoehorned an Epicurean Restaurant in, but the other changes all seem positive and look to have spruced the ship up a bit. I look forward to seeing the changes first hand.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

As the thread starter, I would like to thank those who have posted so many pictures and information following the refit. As is often the case, we have now established far more information than has been provided by P&O. 

I dare not show my wife the photo of the white bathroom in the new cabins as she has been hoping that the horrid pink ones in the existing cabins would be replaced with white and, unless I’ve missed it, I don’t believe that we have heard whether or not this has happened!

It’s a shame that they couldn’t have shoehorned an Epicurean Restaurant in, but the other changes all seem positive and look to have spruced the ship up a bit. I look forward to seeing the changes first hand.

I have heard elsewhere that the existing, beautiful pink bathrooms have not been changed in the original cabins....

I agree about the Epicurean, although not my thing, I think the typical Aurora passenger would enjoy it.

We have always thought there is a lot of underused space on Aurora, so think they may have missed a trick.

Andy

• Like 1