How many euros do you think I will need?

Vampiress88

So we are going on a weeks cruise. 
Majority of things included. 

Not booked any excursions. We are just thinking of having a walk round or catching a tourist bus/train. Sampling some lovely food in little cafes etc. Not really sure what is at any of these places to be honest. 

We have 4 ports. 
St. Peter port
Santander
La Coruna 
Cherbourg

How many euro should we take? We have the credit card as back up anyways and this isn’t taking into account anything we spend on the ship as that’s separate. 

There are four of us. Two adults. Kids are 3 & 4. 
Breakfast and dinner will definitely be on the ship cos it’s supposed to be a cheap trip.

I think 50 Euros per port which is a total of 150. You are not doing major shopping and snacks at the ports is the main cost.  I suspect a taxi to the beach might be a cheap day option taking towels off the ship and a taxi. Translation of take me back to the cruise terminal is a requirement.  Guernsey ATM is UK currency European ATM's could be used if you run short at the last port.

Regards John

I would suggest just having a small float of around €50 and use your debit card, everywhere seems to take them.

There are plenty of places to change money, even on board and cash points are aplenty.

I doubt you will spend as much as you think, you mostly see the same tourist tat everywhere.

Have s fantastic time,

Andy

• Haha 1

Good advice above. About 50 euros per port for snacks, coffee etc should be more than enough if you don’t intend to buy much.

I would just add that A  Coruna has some really good seafood restaurants in the back streets, the type with the fish out on display, so if you fancy a good lunch or tapas with nice wine perhaps a few euros more / debit card enabled for Europe. They also have a coupe of really good chocolate/ sweet shops that the children might enjoy (and a large toy shop so beware!)

Have fun.

24 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Not big on sea food or wine but definitely sweets and toy shops would be good. 

Definitely don’t intend to spend too much. It’s more like lunch or snacks and then maybe one of the tour buses

The toy shops there are really quaint so your children should enjoy them, there is one on the corner along from the main square which had some lovely wooden toys and cute little kitchen equipment for kids. They also has some nice kites (which my overgrown and very old “child” aka my husband purchased).

8 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

So we are going on a weeks cruise. 
Majority of things included. 

Not booked any excursions. We are just thinking of having a walk round or catching a tourist bus/train. Sampling some lovely food in little cafes etc. Not really sure what is at any of these places to be honest. 

We have 4 ports. 
St. Peter port
Santander
La Coruna 
Cherbourg

How many euro should we take? We have the credit card as back up anyways and this isn’t taking into account anything we spend on the ship as that’s separate. 

There are four of us. Two adults. Kids are 3 & 4. 
Breakfast and dinner will definitely be on the ship cos it’s supposed to be a cheap trip.

Sounds like you may be going on the same cruise as us. Azura, 4th May?

We will only be taking about 100 Euros, which is the same amount we took when we went on Ventura last year. We actually came back with 45 Euros last year.

We have bought euro's on-board a couple of times. They just charge the amount to your on-board account. So if you took 100 and spent it in a couple of days you could just go to guest services for some more. 

If you do pay by card while ashore remember to pay in euro's and don't convert it to pounds.

Take a few, and use ATMs, preferably with a debit or credit card which doesn’t charge extra for foreign currency transactions or cash withdrawals, such as Halifax Clarity. We just make sure we have a few Euros at the end of a holiday, and take it next time.

We opted for a top up Euro card and a Dollar card plenty out there but we used Fair FX and by putting £50 on each card we got them for free and they last for 3 years .

Should you not spend, they do not charge a dormacy fee and would return your cash to your account .

Once off the ship we found it safer than carrying  loads of euros around  and  no risk to your bank card as they are not linked to it .

It works for us and as others have said,should you want cash withdrawals then a Halifax clarity or the like is a good idea but not a Halifax debit as that is rated amongst others as a bad choice for overseas  cash machines .

So as others have said carry some cash and then a card that works for you  , much safer than lugging wads of cash around .

Edited by kalos

17 minutes ago, kalos said:

We opted for a top up Euro card and a Dollar card plenty out there but we used Fair FX and by putting £50 on each card we got them for free and they last for 3 years .

Should you not spend, they do not charge a dormacy fee and would return your cash to your account .

Once off the ship we found it safer than carrying  loads of euros around  and  no risk to your bank card as they are not linked to it .

It works for us and as others have said,should you want cash withdrawals then a Halifax clarity or the like is a good idea but not a Halifax debit as that is rated amongst others as a bad choice for overseas  cash machines .

So as others have said carry some cash and then a card that works for you  , much safer than lugging wads of cash around .

Good advice kalos, but if a Halifax Clarity card is used for ATM withdrawals, it's good to remember that interest accrues from the withdrawal date so best pay it off as soon as you get home.  Other transactions are interest free subject to full payment when that's due and at a very good exchange rate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

Good advice kalos, but if a Halifax Clarity card is used for ATM withdrawals, it's good to remember that interest accrues from the withdrawal date so best pay it off as soon as you get home.  Other transactions are interest free subject to full payment when that's due and at a very good exchange rate. 

A great all rounder is Barclaycard Platinum Cash Back plus.  No fees on non -sterling purchases or ATM cash withdrawals abroad (Although the actual bank or ATM you use may charge a withdrawal fee of a dollar or euro as do some UK ATM's )    until 31 Aug 2023. In fact no fees if you pay off total  amount on each monthly statement.

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/rewards-credit-cards

Edited by Pennbank

2 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

But in reality, the actual interest over a couple of weeks will be negligible.

17 minutes ago, Wiltonian said:

But in reality, the actual interest over a couple of weeks will be negligible.

Agree - i think last time I looked it equated to around 1.5% per month so not a great deal - cheaper than say,  one-off withdrawal charges which come with many cards.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Hubby ended up getting €100 for first 3 ports then £100 for the Guernsey one. 

Least if I have any left overs they can go towards next years 

Guernsey pounds are the same value as UK pounds and may be spent in the UK at the same rate, they just look a bit different.  The only problematic note denominations are the £100 and the £1 note.  A mint Guernsey £1 is a good souvenir, its the coins that sometimes differ saying Bailiwick of Guernsey on them.  Basically UK and Guernsey pounds are effectively the same some on shore ATMs have Guernsey and others UK pounds in them. Occasionally Jersey notes might be encountered on the same basis.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

4 hours ago, john watson said:

Guernsey pounds are the same value as UK pounds and may be spent in the UK at the same rate, they just look a bit different.  The only problematic note denominations are the £100 and the £1 note.  A mint Guernsey £1 is a good souvenir, its the coins that sometimes differ saying Bailiwick of Guernsey on them.  Basically UK and Guernsey pounds are effectively the same some on shore ATMs have Guernsey and others UK pounds in them. Occasionally Jersey notes might be encountered on the same basis.

Regards John

Can i I not just use normal £ like here at home for Guernsey?

42 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Can i I not just use normal £ like here at home for Guernsey?

Yes, the money is reciprocally  accepted in Guernsey and the UK.  Local shops will give you change in UK notes if you ask.  Just need to get rid of Guernsey COINS before you leave.  Guernsey pounds have the same status as Scottish or Irish pound notes in the UK.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

14 minutes ago, john watson said:

Yes, the money is reciprocally  accepted in Guernsey and the UK.  Local shops will give you change in UK notes if you ask.  Just need to get rid of Guernsey COINS before you leave.  Guernsey pounds have the same status as Scottish or Irish pound notes in the UK.

Regards John

Brilliant thanks

would never have thought to ask for change in uk. 

Will make sure I use the coins. 

If I forgot which is likely will they change it onboard for me?

16 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

If I forgot which is likely will they change it on board for me?

They might accept them at reception  as payment against your on board account thus reducing the balance by the exact number of pounds you give them.  You do not want to change them on a "Foreign Exchange" type transaction, if they try and charge you a "commission".  They can be spent in the UK at face value, in any shop, no problem other than some young people behind the counter in shops have no knowledge of the situation and try to refuse acceptance particularly in central London.   They can go into your own bank as a face value deposit and most banks will hand you £ for £ if you can demonstrate you have an account with that bank.

There are unscrupulous currency converter people on the internet who tell you that Guernsey Pounds are not "Legal Tender" in the UK.  This statement is actually technically true in the strict legal sense. They are a local issue of pound notes.  However they are universally accepted throughout the UK.

Regards John