Taking a bottle of sparkling grape juice on board

Joannawog

I think it’s technically not allowed since non-alcoholic beverages have to be in juice boxes or cans that are 12 ounces or less, but my guess is that if you brought it instead of wine they would probably allow it if they even noticed that it was not wine. 

15 minutes ago, 30scruiser said:

I think it’s technically not allowed since non-alcoholic beverages have to be in juice boxes or cans that are 12 ounces or less, but my guess is that if you brought it instead of wine they would probably allow it if they even noticed that it was not wine. 

I was going to say they might not even notice it wasn't wine.

I am thinking about trying to get a bottle through on my next cruise.  I would be fully prepared to chug it at security if they said no.  Even though a bottle is only $3.07 after tax, there is no way I would just throw it away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

I can't imagine it being a problem if bringing it in place of wine. 

2 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

I can't imagine it being a problem if bringing it in place of wine. 

I can't either.  We don't drink wine, but do enjoy drinking the sparkling grape juice.

Just now, Joannawog said:

I can't either.  We don't drink wine, but do enjoy drinking the sparkling grape juice.

Same here, although I haven't brought any. If they even check the label, I'm sure they only make sure it's not liquor. Otherwise they probably don't care:)

Just now, Doggielover68 said:

Same here, although I haven't brought any. If they even check the label, I'm sure they only make sure it's not liquor. Otherwise they probably don't care:)

Thanks for your help!  We are going to try it. Hopefully it won't be a problem.  Not everyone drinks alcohol! lol

29 minutes ago, Tiger0613 said:

I am thinking about trying to get a bottle through on my next cruise.  I would be fully prepared to chug it at security if they said no.  Even though a bottle is only $3.07 after tax, there is no way I would just throw it away.

I have to be perfectly honest with you. I'd be thoroughly entertained if I saw you do that in my line. 🤘

Just like the other day when a guy was asking what would be the best way to find 4 other people at the terminal to carry on more wine for him. They could only carry on 2, but wanted to take 6. I'd get such a kick out of watching someone walk around the terminal, approaching strangers, asking if they'd carry a bottle of wine on for them. I'd love to see their faces when they're asked. My wife said she'd say sure...then keep it. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

I have to be perfectly honest with you. I'd be thoroughly entertained if I saw you do that in my line. 🤘

I would likely be heading to the restroom soon after that to pee.  750ml of sparkling white grape juice won't wait for me to get on the ship.

Edited by Tiger0613
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tiger0613 said:

...well that is a plan

10 hours ago, Joannawog said:

I've seen that you can take a bottle of wine in your carry on, but I wondering can you carry on a bottle of sparkling grape juice?  

That's what we're planning to do. When I spoke with my PVP about it she said as long as it was the 750ml limit it would be allowed. The only question I have about it now is will we be charged a cork fee if we bring it to dinner?

This is what I'm bringing, it is delicious!

Screenshot_20190328-083921_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Me too :classic_laugh:

9 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Just like the other day when a guy was asking what would be the best way to find 4 other people at the terminal to carry on more wine for him. They could only carry on 2, but wanted to take 6. I'd get such a kick out of watching someone walk around the terminal, approaching strangers, asking if they'd carry a bottle of wine on for them. I'd love to see their faces when they're asked. My wife said she'd say sure...then keep it. LOL

Here's an artist's rendering of him standing outside the terminal

Sketchy_Stanley.jpg.4840ad347f8f4470cf8ab700d40e98ee.jpg Psssst! Hey buddy, wanna do me a solid?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 1st4our25th said:

That's what we're planning to do. When I spoke with my PVP about it she said as long as it was the 750ml limit it would be allowed. The only question I have about it now is will we be charged a cork fee if we bring it to dinner?

The corkage fee is there, not necessarily to open someone's wine, as it implies, but to compensate Carnival for passengers who aren't dining with wine purchased on board. Since it's not technically wine, maybe they won't charge the corkage fee, but I'd say be prepared for it. Maybe your waiter would let it slide. The Carnival FAQ's only mention wine and champagne specifically in regards to the corkage fee. Ask the maitre d' the first chance you get, I'm sure they can tell you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Do they actually take the alcohol out of the wine?

Yes, they do.

https://beclink.com/blog/how-its-made-nonalcoholic-wine-and-how-it-differs-from-juice/

Here is an excerpt, from the linked site, explaining how it is done, if you're interested:

"This is where non-alcoholic wine differs from say, grape juice. While grape juice is the unfermented juice sourced from grapes, non-alcoholic wine goes through the same fermentation and aging process as regular wine, only to have the alcohol removed at the last stages. This makes non-alcoholic wine much less sugary than grape juice, but with the same great flavors and complexity as wine that contains alcohol.

However, just before the wine is about to be bottled comes the hard part: removing the alcohol from the wine. There are two main ways winemakers go about removing the alcohol: distillation and filtration.

Distillation is the process of distilling the alcohol off the wine through steam. In other words, commercial producers put the wine into an extremely strong vacuum and heat it. As the suction of the vacuum increases, the boiling temperature for the wine decreases. This allows winemakers to heat the wine temperatures as low as 70 degrees Fahrenheit, which distills the alcohol off the wine, without heating the wine too much and causing it to oxidize.

The second method of removing alcohol is through filtration, or reverse osmosis. In this, winemakers use extremely high pressure to force the wine against a membrane so fine only water and alcohol can seep through it. They repeat this process until the wine becomes a concentrate. Water is then added back into the concentrate to create the alcohol-free wine."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1st4our25th said:

This is what I'm bringing, it is delicious!

Screenshot_20190328-083921_Chrome.jpg

Pour your glass and then head to dinner. Depending on your ship you can grab glasses at the wine machine in the library or ask a bar tender. We ask bar tenders for glasses with no issues. This way you will avoid any corkage fee. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Auralee said:

When do you cruise next tiger?? I would love to hear if you were successful!

12/30/2019 on the Valor

5 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

...and quite possibly into a sugar coma, as well.😮🤪

I have one bottle of Welch's sparkling white grape juice every few months.  I usually drink the entire bottle in less than an hour.  I pace myself.

8 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Yes, they do.

https://beclink.com/blog/how-its-made-nonalcoholic-wine-and-how-it-differs-from-juice/

Here is an excerpt, from the linked site, explaining how it is done, if you're interested:

"This is where non-alcoholic wine differs from say, grape juice. While grape juice is the unfermented juice sourced from grapes, non-alcoholic wine goes through the same fermentation and aging process as regular wine, only to have the alcohol removed at the last stages. This makes non-alcoholic wine much less sugary than grape juice, but with the same great flavors and complexity as wine that contains alcohol.

However, just before the wine is about to be bottled comes the hard part: removing the alcohol from the wine. There are two main ways winemakers go about removing the alcohol: distillation and filtration.

Distillation is the process of distilling the alcohol off the wine through steam. In other words, commercial producers put the wine into an extremely strong vacuum and heat it. As the suction of the vacuum increases, the boiling temperature for the wine decreases. This allows winemakers to heat the wine temperatures as low as 70 degrees Fahrenheit, which distills the alcohol off the wine, without heating the wine too much and causing it to oxidize.

The second method of removing alcohol is through filtration, or reverse osmosis. In this, winemakers use extremely high pressure to force the wine against a membrane so fine only water and alcohol can seep through it. They repeat this process until the wine becomes a concentrate. Water is then added back into the concentrate to create the alcohol-free wine."

...and the taste?

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

...and the taste?

I don't drink it.  I drink postalcoholized:classic_wink: red wine.   But I have had a few sips of dealcoholized red before.  My MIL used to drink it every now and then.  It has a very similar taste.  Not bad.  It would be pretty easy to eventually convince oneself one was drinking the "real" thing.  Anyway, not a bad substitute if you happen to like wine but aren't allowed or don't want the alcohol.

• Like 1