Hotel recommendations

Tracey.kinney425

Where's a good place to stay in Miami? We will fly into MIA and then cruising out of Miami as well. We're just looking for a place to lay our head and maybe some type of breakfast in the morning. We've never been to Miami so don't know what area's to avoid and what I have been finding is 200+ a night for just a red roof inn.

For downtown location, hotel shuttle and close to the port, food on site and good restaurants nearby, we have stayed at and been very pleased with the Courtyard Marriott Downtown / Brickell area.

But as with any downtown location it will not be as budgeted as a more remote location.

I always have to chuckle when someone's question suggests that they consider $200+/night for a good hotel in a cosmopolitan city expensive. That may have been true a decade ago. Today? Add a hundred to that.

In any case, do the research. 

Because we prefer longer cruises, preferably with new-to-us (or favorite) different cruise start/end ports for extended land stays, dates of cruise itineraries become an important consideration.

Though Miami would not be a place we would want to spend any extra time (been there/done that), do know that one of the best properties pre-cruise (or for an extended stay) is the Intercontinental. Pricey? Depends. We've stayed there for <$200/ night and it's a short hop to the ship's. Of course, that same room can sometimes be >$400/night.

Other examples (price for identical room, depending on dates):

Intercontinental SF   <$200 to >$700/night 

Any major hotel at SFO <$200 to >$400/night

Dates, who is traveling, and budget will help the suggestions to be closer to your target.  Rates vary with the tourist season.  The $300+ room in Feb can go for under $100 in August.

If you are looking for just a place to lay your head and a decent breakfast you can look at the 

Miami Marriott Airport campus. There are three hotels on the site, A Marriott, a courtyard Marriott and a residence inn 

so several price options. They also offer a free shuttle to and from the airport that runs about every 20 mins.

Its about $26 Taxi to the pier not sure of Uber prices but will be cheaper. They do have taxis available on site infront of the Marriott.

Edited by goneclear

Thanks, I will check out the board and hotels suggested, I don't travel much but when I do it's to Columbus Ohio, Phoenix and once to Oceanside CA on memorial weekend and I've always found rooms under 100 unless something is going on that weekend to cause the rates to jump.

Oh God no, you will not find anything in Miami under $100 that you would be safe in and Miami has some pretty sketchy and dangerous areas.

I would go on Hotwire and book a downtown hotel.  It's a safe area, plenty of things to walk to, lots of dining, and a short trip to the port and from the airport.

4 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

Oh God no, you will not find anything in Miami under $100 that you would be safe in and Miami has some pretty sketchy and dangerous areas.

I would go on Hotwire and book a downtown hotel.  It's a safe area, plenty of things to walk to, lots of dining, and a short trip to the port and from the airport.

Good to know, what should we expect to pay in mid April (2020) for a hotel room. We definitely want to be in a safe area.

3 minutes ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

Good to know, what should we expect to pay in mid April (2020) for a hotel room. We definitely want to be in a safe area.

Aside from anything that isn't the week before or after Easter (April 12, 2020), you can easily get something in the $140 range.

19 hours ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

For now we're booked at the Hyatt House, anyone know anything about it?

By the airport yes? 

Fine if all you want is a place to sleep. If you want to actually be able to walk around, see Miami and do something then try to find something in Downtown Miami or Brickell. 

If you are getting in at night and all you need is a place to sleep it seems like that does the job. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2019 at 12:22 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

For downtown location, hotel shuttle and close to the port, food on site and good restaurants nearby, we have stayed at and been very pleased with the Courtyard Marriott Downtown / Brickell area.

But as with any downtown location it will not be as budgeted as a more remote location.

Do they have a shuttle to ship? We are staying there next Wed and Thurs night. Any suggestions for not real expensive restaurants in the area? We like fresh seafood, cuban would be good and breakfast options. Thank you

1 hour ago, Choozin Croozin said:

Do they have a shuttle to ship? We are staying there next Wed and Thurs night. Any suggestions for not real expensive restaurants in the area? We like fresh seafood, cuban would be good and breakfast options. Thank you

Yes - they do offer a shuttle to the Port of Miami.  Need to reserve it the day before with your ship name and it costs $6 pp. 

The La Granja restaurant across the street is very reasonably priced and very good.  Here is their website:

https://www.lagranjarestaurants.com/en/about-us/

A more upscale Spanish style restaurant which would be a 10 minute Uber ride is called Jamon-Iberico Pata Negra.  Excellent but a little pricey.  Here is their website:

http://patanegrarestaurant.com/

Another tapas style restaurant about 3 blocks walking distance is Niu Kitchen.  Here's their website:

http://niukitchen.com/

Or you can walk a little farther (about 6 blocks) or Uber to the Bayside Marketplace on the waterfront where there are a number of the more traditional restaurants and a lot of stores to browse.  Here is their website:

http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/

Or ask the Hotel for other options.  Enjoy your stay and your cruise!

BTW the blue drink in your avatar looks like my wife's favorite sail away beverage.  (Which would basically be anything blue in color but preferable with Curacao).  And I'll take the beer...

Edited by leaveitallbehind

9 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Yes - they do offer a shuttle to the Port of Miami.  Need to reserve it the day before with your ship name and it costs $6 pp. 

The La Granja restaurant across the street is very reasonably priced and very good.  Here is their website:

https://www.lagranjarestaurants.com/en/about-us/

A more upscale Spanish style restaurant which would be a 10 minute Uber ride is called Jamon-Iberico Pata Negra.  Excellent but a little pricey.  Here is their website:

http://patanegrarestaurant.com/

Another tapas style restaurant about 3 blocks walking distance is Niu Kitchen.  Here's their website:

http://niukitchen.com/

Or you can walk a little farther (about 6 blocks) or Uber to the Bayside Marketplace on the waterfront where there are a number of the more traditional restaurants and a lot of stores to browse.  Here is their website:

http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/

Or ask the Hotel for other options.  Enjoy your stay and your cruise!

BTW the blue drink in your avatar looks like my wife's favorite sail away beverage.  (Which would basically be anything blue in color but preferable with Curacao).  And I'll take the beer...

Thank you so much! I could not find anywhere on their site about a shuttle. That’s great!! And thank you for the foodie tips!!!

On 4/2/2019 at 8:18 AM, Flymia said:

By the airport yes? 

Fine if all you want is a place to sleep. If you want to actually be able to walk around, see Miami and do something then try to find something in Downtown Miami or Brickell. 

If you are getting in at night and all you need is a place to sleep it seems like that does the job. 

Our cruise is to far out to book my flight but I will keep that in mind and may cancel later depending on arrival.

I had also looked at country inn and suites in Kendal as a possiblity bit looks a little far on the map.

40 minutes ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

I had also looked at country inn and suites in Kendal as a possiblity bit looks a little far on the map.

WAY too far. Stick with what you have now, once you book flights you can reevaluate your hotel needs.