Is Sirena sailing slower?

Hokapontas

Hi, My hubby and I are sailing in June on Sirena. It's past final payment and in the last 2 weeks, we have had one change of port (good from the perspective of pre-planning but bad missing a better port) and 9 changes of timing in port. The email from O states that they are carrying out maintenance, but every schedule change sees us in the ship for longer - not in port for longer, or earlier, or later.

This is going to sound cynical, but seeing as this is a long way in advance, could they be deciding to sail slower to save on fuel?

Edited by Hokapontas
Corrected a sentence

11 hours ago, Hokapontas said:

Hi, My hubby and I are sailing in June on Sirena. It's past final payment and in the last 2 weeks, we have had one change of port (good from the perspective of pre-planning but bad missing a better port) and 9 changes of timing in port. The email from O states that they are carrying out maintenance, but every schedule change sees us in the ship for longer - not in port for longer, or earlier, or later.

This is going to sound cynical, but seeing as this is a long way in advance, could they be deciding to sail slower to save on fuel?

Any potential savings on fuel you might think is associated with cruising "slower" would certainly be wiped out by the extra costs of caring longer for folks onboard. Many cruisers don't realize that certain scheduled port costs incurred don't disappear if the port is missed. In addition, an added sea day comes with extra costs in food and beverage as well as service.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

Save money on port charges??

Could also be availability of a berth at the port.

That port stop, including charges for berth, tugs, longshoremen, et al. we're already committed long before the cruise. Ships, like passengers, have non-refundable expenses, penalty fees for cancellation, etc. plus (as aforementioned), caring for/feeding all the passengers who are now remaining aboard on an added sea day.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Check the port! We were scheduled for Warenmude and ended up in Rostock. Too many ships in the prior city. Availability to port, in many places, is based on seniority. Oceania being a younger cruise line pales on that front when compared to many of the old European and US lines. We along with several ships got moved to Rostock to dock along side an old power plant and huge cinder pile! No room at the Inn, even though we once had the reservation.

The tour companies knew where to find us!

12 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Save money on port charges??

Could also be availability of a berth at the port.

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Check the port! We were scheduled for Warenmude and ended up in Rostock. Too many ships in the prior city. Availability to port, in many places, is based on seniority. Oceania being a younger cruise line pales on that front when compared to many of the old European and US lines. We along with several ships got moved to Rostock to dock along side an old power plant and huge cinder pile! No room at the Inn, even though we once had the reservation.

The tour companies knew where to find us!

Yes, a new ferry takes precedence at Porto Vecchio apparently, and we needed to move to Propriano, on the other side of Corsica. Not like the difference between Warnemunde and Rostock - half an hour in a little train.

But shortly after they amended 9 different ports to shorter shore hours. So that's how they save money??

7 hours ago, Hokapontas said:

But my burning question is: What sort of maintenance causes 9 different ports to get shorter shore time?

Keep in mind that by legal definition when a Line sells you a cruise, you are buying the time on the ship, i.e. NOT point to point transportation at specific times.  

This is a bit like buying a red sweater at Macy's and then giving it a poor review because it isn't blue.  

On 4/4/2019 at 11:51 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

That port stop, including charges for berth, tugs, longshoremen, et al. we're already committed long before the cruise. Ships, like passengers, have non-refundable expenses, penalty fees for cancellation, etc. plus (as aforementioned), caring for/feeding all the passengers who are now remaining aboard on an added sea day.

Don't think that is true.  Every cruise line we have been on except Oceania/Regent seems to refund port charges for missed ports so sincerely doubt there are non-refundable port charges when the ship doesn't make the port.

26 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Don't think that is true.  Every cruise line we have been on except Oceania/Regent seems to refund port charges for missed ports so sincerely doubt there are non-refundable port charges when the ship doesn't make the port.

I'm equally sure that whether the fee's are non refundable to the Cruise Line depends on the timing and the circumstances. 

Edited by StanandJim

13 hours ago, StanandJim said:

Keep in mind that by legal definition when a Line sells you a cruise, you are buying the time on the ship, i.e. NOT point to point transportation at specific times.  

This is a bit like buying a red sweater at Macy's and then giving it a poor review because it isn't blue.  

I get that. Some on our Roll Call are spitting chips, ready to change brands forever. We are still on a cruise, and still see the ports.

But I come from the perspective of a poky little puppy...why?

To answer the OP's question, very likely it is sailing slower, though since I don't know the itinerary, I can't say for sure.  A likely maintenance that would cause all the port times on one cruise to be shortened (and typically apply to 3-4 cruises in a row) is an overhaul of one of Sirena's 4 diesel engines.  These engines require a full overhaul every 12,000 hours (about 2 years), and the overhauls take 3-4 weeks to complete.  Ships with 5-6 diesels have more flexibility, but the ships with only 4 engines will tend to have itineraries changed to allow for the reduced power, though typically the line knows about these in advance, and will schedule a different itinerary well in advance, rather than last minute changes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, StanandJim said:

No, it's more like Macy's advertising a red sweater and after purchase, giving you a blue one. It is still a sweater just not the particular color you wanted.

15 hours ago, Sea42 said:

No, it's more like Macy's advertising a red sweater and after purchase, giving you a blue one. It is still a sweater just not the particular color you wanted.

More like that, yes.

And I haven't written my review yet!!!

On 4/10/2019 at 9:30 AM, Sea42 said:

You're saying that based on a knee jerk reaction that the port times are what they are selling.

They are not.

Please read your terms and conditions, they are selling time on the ship, the ports are an ancillary  benefit.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:47 PM, chengkp75 said:

To answer the OP's question, very likely it is sailing slower, though since I don't know the itinerary, I can't say for sure.  A likely maintenance that would cause all the port times on one cruise to be shortened (and typically apply to 3-4 cruises in a row) is an overhaul of one of Sirena's 4 diesel engines.  These engines require a full overhaul every 12,000 hours (about 2 years), and the overhauls take 3-4 weeks to complete.  Ships with 5-6 diesels have more flexibility, but the ships with only 4 engines will tend to have itineraries changed to allow for the reduced power, though typically the line knows about these in advance, and will schedule a different itinerary well in advance, rather than last minute changes.

I have relayed your explanation to those (very concerned people) on the roll call, as it seemed such a good answer. Hope you don't mind.

For your information, the cruise concerned are the 18th June and 28th June ones, finishing on 5th July, on Sirena. Both segments are affected.

Anita

Aren't they taking the ship into dry dock in May? I would hope they address those engine issues then.  We are actually on the 7/5 cruise out of Lisbon.  I am sure they will(hopefully) get things straightened out by then...😊  

On 4/10/2019 at 4:47 AM, chengkp75 said:

These engines require a full overhaul every 12,000 hours (about 2 years), and the overhauls take 3-4 weeks to complete.

1 hour ago, neilrr said:

I would hope they address those engine issues then. 

As I understand it, it is typical to do the engine overhauls while the ship is in service, not at a drydock.  More "standard maintenance" than "engine issues".  Chengkp75 will correct me as needed!

I agree. We sail for the ports and would be very disappointed to miss (or have time shortened in) the ones that made us choose that particular cruise. 

Some cruise lines break out port fees and taxes in their pricing. Oceania  usually does not, so maybe that's why there's no refund when a port is missed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, neilrr said:

Aren't they taking the ship into dry dock in May? I would hope they address those engine issues then.  We are actually on the 7/5 cruise out of Lisbon.  I am sure they will(hopefully) get things straightened out by then...😊  

2 hours ago, babysteps said:

As I understand it, it is typical to do the engine overhauls while the ship is in service, not at a drydock.  More "standard maintenance" than "engine issues".  Chengkp75 will correct me as needed!

Yes, this is something that happens all the time for cruise ships.  This is not an "engine issue", it is routine maintenance, that cannot be deferred to a drydock, unless that docking is within the grace period of the maintenance interval.  Besides, the engineers have far too much going on in the engine room during drydock to have an engine torn down as well, plus the overhauls typically take longer than a normal drydock period.

Chengkp75;

We have power plants, refinery units, etc, that go down for maintenance turnarounds on a regular basis. The companies know when they are needed, plan and schedule them months in advance. They do so to ensure all personnel and equipment is available and on hand for the turn around.

That’s not the issue. Oceania could calculate and knew well in advance when the maintenance wouybe required. They waited until after payment in full date and into cancellation penalty dates to tell the cruisers “ Oh, by the way!” We, obviously incorrectly, expect more out of a premium cruise line!

3 hours ago, babysteps said:

45 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, this is something that happens all the time for cruise ships.  This is not an "engine issue", it is routine maintenance, that cannot be deferred to a drydock, unless that docking is within the grace period of the maintenance interval.  Besides, the engineers have far too much going on in the engine room during drydock to have an engine torn down as well, plus the overhauls typically take longer than a normal drydock period.

babysteps and Chengkp75 - Thank you for your responses. I would hope that even if they could not do a full take down of the engine - they should do some type of fix, as they have a full and busy summer season ahead of them. How long is the ship going to be in dry dock for? I have not seen any information on it...