MSC Seaside - Puerto Rico stop

sunny2runner

Anyone who has done MSC Eastern itinerary, can you tell if you dock at 5PM? What time frame does it actually take to get off ship? I can just imagine 4,000 passengers trying to get off at once.

I read some where else that MSC Seaside has arrived at 4PM in the past well. Anyone confirm this?

I was in SJ recently when the Seaside pulled in, it passed the castle around 4:30PM so the passengers were likely walking off the gangway a little before 5PM. My suggestion is just to go out for a good authentic dinner in SJ (I can recommend a place I love if you'd like), or just eat onboard and go out drinking or partying until midnight in OSJ. Not much else you can do in that time, and if it's the winter, it'll be dark. 

10 hours ago, Shippy said:

OUR ITINERARY ALSO SAYS DOCK AT 5PM & LEAVES AT 1AM THE NEXT MORNING.

I CONSIDER THIS A 'NON STOP'  FOR US !

Sailing 4-27, looking forward to the evening in Old San Juan....

i think it it will be interesting...

9 hours ago, OceansOfTravels said:

I was in SJ recently when the Seaside pulled in, it passed the castle around 4:30PM so the passengers were likely walking off the gangway a little before 5PM. My suggestion is just to go out for a good authentic dinner in SJ (I can recommend a place I love if you'd like), or just eat onboard and go out drinking or partying until midnight in OSJ. Not much else you can do in that time, and if it's the winter, it'll be dark. 

Restaurant recommendations welcomed...any noteable bars also....

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I loooooooove Tropical Taste, it's a small restaurant buried behind a souvenir shop in OSJ on Calle del Santo Cristo. They have very good, authentic food, and I really enjoy the ambiance. I always make a stop there whenever I have a cruise that stops in Old San Juan. The Asopo con Pollo is my FAVE!

We did the El Moro & More Walking tour through MSC and really enjoyed it. We were off the ship a bit befor 5pm. Next time, we’ll walk around OSJ on our own and have dinner somewhere low key. Last time we went to Barrachina and were underwhelmed. 

22 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

For restaurants, top choice is Marmalade (small courses, pre fixe), but reservations are hard to get.  Could try Oceano or Mario Pagan.

For bars, the obvious one is Barrachina (for the Pina Colada!), but becoming too touristy to many.  Others would be Nuyorican Cafe, lvely after 10:00 p.m.  $5.00 cover many nights, but free Salsa lessons, and good drink prices ($7 or under for most cocktails), El Batey (dive bar with lots of graffiti and a juke box as the musical entertainment.  Still, a fun place), Bodega Chic is a sports bar near El Morro, and our favorite in Old San Juan is La Factoria. Named on of the 50 best bars in the world twice, it is really four bars:  the main one and three more small ones in the back:  VINO, Shing a Ling and El Final.  Great drinks and great service.

Edited by JAGR

Sorry, but DW told me to add her favorite!  Anam Spa and Cocktail Lounge.  Right by the smallest house in Puerto Rico and a great view down to the port! For DW, it has it all:  haircut, nails and great cocktails! To top it off, the have great Phò!

Edited by JAGR

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

For restaurants, top choice is Marmalade (small courses, pre fixe), but reservations are hard to get.  Could try Oceano or Mario Pagan.

For bars, the obvious one is Barrachina (for the Pina Colada!), but becoming too touristy to many.  Others would be Nuyorican Cafe, lvely after 10:00 p.m.  $5.00 cover many nights, but free Salsa lessons, and good drink prices ($7 or under for most cocktails), El Batey (dive bar with lots of graffiti and a juke box as the musical entertainment.  Still, a fun place), Bodega Chic is a sports bar near El Morro, and our favorite in Old San Juan is La Factoria. Named on of the 50 best bars in the world twice, it is really four bars:  the main one and three more small ones in the back:  VINO, Shing a Ling and El Final.  Great drinks and great service.

Thanks...

3 hours ago, JAGR said:

Definitely agree with John on Marmalade!  We had a wonderful dinner there in March.

I had a small group on bard  on the March 16th sailing.   I had arranged a  group tour with a local company in Puerto Rico. Due to the 5:00 arrival, I told the tour driver to meet us at 5:30.   I had people throughout the ship in each of the "experiences" including Bella and Yacht Club, and no one had a problem in being at our meeting spot on the outside the pier that evening.

11 hours ago, Into Cruising said:

I had a small group on bard  on the March 16th sailing.   I had arranged a  group tour with a local company in Puerto Rico. Due to the 5:00 arrival, I told the tour driver to meet us at 5:30.   I had people throughout the ship in each of the "experiences" including Bella and Yacht Club, and no one had a problem in being at our meeting spot on the outside the pier that evening.

who did you use and would you recommend? there would be 4 of us ages 35, 43, 43 and 48

I used De Tour con Ali  ....   www.detourconali.com

I do recommend them very highly.  What i did was secure her  "You're the Boss" services for a small group of 5 ,  but then offered remaining seats up other passengers, who eventually filled 14 seats.   We toured both Old and New San Juan and stopped at a restaurant for an evening meal.  (at our expense)    Total tour was close to 4 hours  and the per person charge was split evenly across all 14 people, equally $25 per person.   If you can get Alicia as your tour guide , she is excellent, but all of her people do a great job.  Everyone remarked and thanked me for arranging it and allowing them to join in.