Hawaii weather

saphir

Generally the best weather in Hawaii (meaning a little dryer) is  June, July and September.   Reality is that most months are really similar and there isn't a bad time to visit.   Hurricane season would generally run from Jun to November but a cyclone could occur any time.   I really wouldn't worry about hurricanes.

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Generally the best weather in Hawaii (meaning a little dryer) is  June, July and September.   Reality is that most months are really similar and there isn't a bad time to visit.   Hurricane season would generally run from Jun to November but a cyclone could occur any time.   I really wouldn't worry about hurricanes.

I thought that the only difference between a hurricane and a cyclone was the location where they occurred.😃

1 hour ago, Husky61 said:

I thought that the only difference between a hurricane and a cyclone was the location where they occurred.😃

You are correct.   Generally Hurricanes are in the Norther Atlantic and Northern Pacific.  I referred to it as a cyclone in Hawaii as it is is more mid-Pacific.   Generally Hurricanes form in the Coastal Waters of Mexico and sometimes are called a Cyclone or Typhoon dependent on where they move to.  

You are correct in that a Typhoon, Hurricane and Cyclone are the same except location.

On 4/8/2019 at 12:55 PM, saphir said:

Hi,

Which month is better May of September to Hawaii (less rain, more sunny). Is hurricane is frequently in mid to end September?

thank you.

Yes, mid to the end of September would be hurricane season. I’ve done 2 Hawaii round trippers without any issues. One from L.A and one from Vancouver in this time frame. Now a 3rd this coming September from Vancouver. It’s hit and miss. You may get lucky just like you may not. Remember one thing,  there’s plenty a room for the cruise ship to deviate, if there is a hurricane. I wouldn’t worry. Go for it.

3 hours ago, rick160158 said:

Yes, mid to the end of September would be hurricane season. I’ve done 2 Hawaii round trippers without any issues. One from L.A and one from Vancouver in this time frame. Now a 3rd this coming September from Vancouver. It’s hit and miss. You may get lucky just like you may not. Remember one thing,  there’s plenty a room for the cruise ship to deviate, if there is a hurricane. I wouldn’t worry. Go for it.

Yes, very good post above.  

15 hours ago, saphir said:

Thank you. I was planning an Hawaii cruise from 18 to 28 September 2020,  But the Hurricanes were making me hesitate.  You'll have to reassure me.

Please don't let hurricanes dissuade you from your decision.   Do a Google search for Hurricanes Hawaii and you will see that level 4 and 5 hurricanes hitting Hawaii are very rare.  

You can be hit with storms on any itinerary.   I had a particularly bad year last year.   On a B2B from Vancouver to Japan and Japan Immersion we were hit with two typhoons and were evacuated from the ship for one of them and overnighted in Yokohama.    To top it off 2 weeks later on a Southampton TA we had to divert far south to avoid another Hurricane. 

On 4/9/2019 at 8:24 PM, saphir said:

Thank you. I was planning an Hawaii cruise from 18 to 28 September 2020,  But the Hurricanes were making me hesitate.  You'll have to reassure me.

The last hurricane to make landfall in the Hawaiian Islands was over 25 years ago. 

I've done the Hawaii cruise 3 times and the fall was a little better than the spring but all 3 cruises had great weather in Hawaii.  Vancouver was a different story, in Sept is was wet and cold both times and the first sea day was a bit rough. The last sea day on our Spring cruise was also rough and cold when we got closer to Vancouver.

I live in Hawaii.  The weather is beautiful year-round.  You get the odd flurry of bad weather.  

Most days you will experience passing showers (green for a reason!) but its rare for rain to be an all-day affair unless you're on the "rainy side" of the island. (Hilo, Hanalei, Hana, Kaneohe).

February and March tend to be rainier.  May is cooler (5-10 degrees).  September can be humid and hot.  Hurricane season is May to November, but like someone else said, the last one to truly hit Hawaii was Hurricane Iniki in 1992... In the last few years several hurricanes have appeared in the news as "on track" to hit Hawaii... schools were cancelled, bottled water sold out, gas stations lines were around the block... and they all ended up being a beautiful, mild, sunny day.  I wouldn't worry too much about Hurricanes.