P&O drink package alcoholic beverage limit

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Well you got a bargain then, that is like 40% off the normal price.

Hence why we purchased the package. We have found that you have to keep an eye on it as the price changes. When we first booked the price was $89 AUD a day and it dropped to $62  3 months after booking.It did go as low as $61 at one point.

It is now back up to $89..

Edited by SuitesRbest

8 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

RSA is totally irrelevant. No normal human being who wants to live a long and healthy life could possibly drink that much alcohol, sugar, caffeine and not have serious health problems or be killing themselves.

Now I love to drink. I love beer and wine and spirits. When I cruise I load up on board credit to my account which is less than what the drinks package would cost and I always come out on top by buying individually.  I buy bottles of wine and the bar tenders kindly keep them behind the bar for me. I buy beer by the glass/bottle and same with spirits. I often have a few bottles of wine around the ship at various bars. It works well for me.

What people fail to take into account is that on cruises where they are on shore tours, exploring, doing other things is time they are not drinking. The drinks package has never been a financial viable option that benefits the passenger when you add it all up.

Besides some men might like to drink alcohol and have the toilet as their best friend all night long for their relief, I would not like the lack of sleep that comes with it. Couple that up with the health implications then it is a package not worth having.

Now I know there are cheapskates out there who can apparently afford cruises and one half of the travelling party will get the package and the other will not. They will go to different bars and get drinks for each other on the one package. The cruise line is aware of these cheapskates and it is probably why they have adjusted their price accordingly which reinforces the fact that it is not a financially viable option. Anyone with very basic maths skills could calculate that very quickly.

All those points raised are completely true and valid, on a cruise you usually indulged in few unhealthy options not just on the alcoholic side. I generally am a bit naughty when cruising. (unsure on other's just speaking for myself)
Couple of beers during the day, few cocktails in the the evening, some wine at dinner and few more of what ever at night OH not to mention a good NY bloody Mary a couple mornings with breaky. That surly will put me on par with the package price. ($62 a day that is)

There is only a hand full of people who do bend the rules (guessing here) on these packages and lets be honest here , what a freaking hassle sneaking around from bar to bar BUT, lets be serious it will not break a cruise line's bank due to a few on evan several drinks.

3 hours ago, SuitesRbest said:

Hence why we purchased the package. We have found that you have to keep an eye on it as the price changes. When we first booked the price was $89 AUD a day and it dropped to $62  3 months after booking.It did go as low as $61 at one point.

It is now back up to $89..

How much is the P&O package?

33 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Royal doesn’t charge the %18 with the drinks package 

Not that we buy it ,we have access to the lounges.

Current onboard pricing:

PACKAGE 2019 SAILINGS
Deluxe $63 - $70
Refreshment $29
Classic Soda $12.99

*Pricing above reflects the daily cost, per person and does not include 18% gratuity.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Current onboard pricing:

PACKAGE 2019 SAILINGS
Deluxe $63 - $70
Refreshment $29
Classic Soda $12.99

*Pricing above reflects the daily cost, per person and does not include 18% gratuity.

Like I said we don’t bother to buy the drinks package (we have other ways of getting a free skin full)and I’m not going from personal experience .

What if you buy the drinks package before the cruise ? I’m fairly sure the gratuity is included.

Technically RC can’t charge it as it’s a extra.

7 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Like I said we don’t bother to buy the drinks package (we have other ways of getting a free skin full)and I’m not going from personal experience .

What if you buy the drinks package before the cruise ? I’m fairly sure the gratuity is included.

When we purchased the package there was no mention of a gratuity charge.

There was a mention of service charge and it came up as $0.00 ?

14 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It is just included in the total price you pay.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

I am a Diamond member in Crown and Anchor, RCL have the Diamond club open every night from 3pm> 6pm from memory and that includes canapes and select beer wines on the house.

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Okay, so you really do need to be drinking at least 12 beers, or 8 cocktails to get your money back.

Works out at $5.26 per alcoholic drink, for your 15 in total. ( not including all the unlimited water and soft drink you may have

Edited by SuitesRbest

30 minutes ago, SuitesRbest said:

I am a Diamond member in Crown and Anchor, RCL have the Diamond club open every night from 3pm> 6pm from memory and that includes canapes and select beer wines on the house.

Likewise, I buy any other drink as I go.

BTW, Diamond club is open 24/7, alcoholic beverages available from 5 - 8.30pm.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Likewise, I buy any other drink as I go.

BTW, Diamond club is open 24/7, alcoholic beverages available from 5 - 8.30pm.

Thanks for that, yes has been a while between drinks (Pun intended)

1 hour ago, SuitesRbest said:

There’s spirits but you need to give a tip if you want a stiff drink.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Unless things have changed (which is possible)

I did a bit of a article on TripAdvisor when RC started including daily gratuity.

In a email from them they said.

Due to local requirements daily gratuity will be included in the fare and only onboard  VOLUNTARY purchases will attract a %18 gratuity. 

If something is purchased in Australia even on cruise planner.which is Australian dollars and the funds go to the north Sydney office not Miami.

They can’t add gratuity.

6 hours ago, SuitesRbest said:

All those points raised are completely true and valid, on a cruise you usually indulged in few unhealthy options not just on the alcoholic side. I generally am a bit naughty when cruising. (unsure on other's just speaking for myself)
Couple of beers during the day, few cocktails in the the evening, some wine at dinner and few more of what ever at night OH not to mention a good NY bloody Mary a couple mornings with breaky. That surly will put me on par with the package price. ($62 a day that is)

There is only a hand full of people who do bend the rules (guessing here) on these packages and lets be honest here , what a freaking hassle sneaking around from bar to bar BUT, lets be serious it will not break a cruise line's bank due to a few on evan several drinks.

I always put on weight on a cruise and I have to get it off after.

The issue with drinking now at my age is the older I get the longer it keeps me up at night running to the toilet so I need to cut back. I am not 20 anymore and things change.

Normally bottles of wine are the best option if you like wine. I only drink beer around lunch time and early afternoon and then switch to wine and spirits of an evening as they are less likely to keep me awake at night.

That all said and done the budget for me is usually well under that per day when I factor in the bottles of wine that I have purchased. If I have a bottle of wine purchased then I am estimating a $30 per day spend on drinks.

Just now, Brisbane41 said:

I always put on weight on a cruise and I have to get it off after.

The issue with drinking now at my age is the older I get the longer it keeps me up at night running to the toilet so I need to cut back. I am not 20 anymore and things change.

Normally bottles of wine are the best option if you like wine. I only drink beer around lunch time and early afternoon and then switch to wine and spirits of an evening as they are less likely to keep me awake at night.

That all said and done the budget for me is usually well under that per day when I factor in the bottles of wine that I have purchased. If I have a bottle of wine purchased then I am estimatkg since booking last Octobering a $30 per day spend on drinks.

The way i do it is, lose the weight BEFORE I cruise . Have lost about 8kg since booking last October and plan to lose another 5>6kg before boarding in November. Should have plenty of room then.

I am in my 40's so still can handle a drink but, I also have to get up during the night for the bathroom.

Most times the ship is going flat out at night and if its rough, well say no more

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I did a bit of a article on TripAdvisor when RC started including daily gratuity.

Due to local requirements daily gratuity will be included in the fare and only onboard  VOLUNTARY purchases will attract a %18 gratuity. 

If something is purchased in Australia even on cruise planner.which is Australian dollars and the funds go to the north Sydney office not Miami.

They can’t add gratuity.

I think you are suggesting that the cruiseline cannot charge gratuities on something purchased in Australia because it is against Australian law. This is often stated, but it is NOT correct.😊

If it was, the cruiselines were breaking the law for many years.🙂 GST became law on 1st July 2000. P&O removed auto gratuities in 2010, Princess on 3rd May 2011 and RC fairly recently. When Princess removed the tips they stated that it was because most Australians weren't accustomed to tipping. 

Below is an extract from a government website explaining GST on international travel. 

GST and international travel

Most travel and tourism activities within Australia, such as domestic air travel, accommodation and car hire, attract GST. However, activities related to international travel and tourism are generally GST-free:

• passenger transport to or from Australia or between destinations outside Australia
  • domestic air travel where the passenger is a non-resident and the travel was purchased while the passenger was outside Australia
  • some domestic travel within Australia connected with international transport
  • transport insurance connected with the international transport of passengers
  • purchasing a service that is used or enjoyed outside Australia.

Where a travel or tourism service is GST-free, any insurances, arrangement fees or commissions associated with it are also GST-free.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

They can’t add gratuity.

Correct, but as you will know, they won't be losing money, things are just priced to include the gratuities.

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Correct, but as you will know, they won't be losing money, things are just priced to include the gratuities.

Sorry - it is not correct. It is not a requirement of Australian law that cruiselines include gratuities in the overall price. This is myth that has arisen. (Please see my earlier post.) Cruiselines have chosen to to it because Aussies are not accustomed to tipping.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think you are suggesting that the cruiseline cannot charge gratuities on something purchased in Australia because it is against Australian law. This is often stated, but it is NOT correct.😊

If it was, the cruiselines were breaking the law for many years.🙂 GST became law on 1st July 2000. P&O removed auto gratuities in 2010, Princess on 3rd May 2011 and RC fairly recently. When Princess removed the tips they stated that it was because most Australians weren't accustomed to tipping. 

Below is an extract from a government website explaining GST on international travel. 

GST and international travel

Most travel and tourism activities within Australia, such as domestic air travel, accommodation and car hire, attract GST. However, activities related to international travel and tourism are generally GST-free:

• passenger transport to or from Australia or between destinations outside Australia
  • domestic air travel where the passenger is a non-resident and the travel was purchased while the passenger was outside Australia
  • some domestic travel within Australia connected with international transport
  • transport insurance connected with the international transport of passengers
  • purchasing a service that is used or enjoyed outside Australia.

Where a travel or tourism service is GST-free, any insurances, arrangement fees or commissions associated with it are also GST-free.

I’m not referring to GST or the gratuity.

I’m referring to someone buying something in Australia and finding a unknown hidden charge.

Such as buying a unlimited drinks package so you can drink your self into oblivion and when you get on the ship there’s a extra charge associated with the purchase.

I don’t believe that is lawful 

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I’m not referring to GST or the gratuity.

I’m referring to someone buying something in Australia and finding a unknown hidden charge.

Such as buying a unlimited drinks package so you can drink your self into oblivion and when you get on the ship there’s a extra charge associated with the purchase.

I don’t believe that is lawful 

Does it ever happen that someone buys a drinks package at 'X' dollars then finds later there is an extra charge? I see this as a poor business practice, but I don't think it is unlawful.

I was responding to this part of your post :

(quote)   Due to local requirements daily gratuity will be included in the fare and only onboard  VOLUNTARY purchases will attract a %18 gratuity.  If something is purchased in Australia even on cruise planner.which is Australian dollars and the funds go to the north Sydney office not Miami.  They can’t add gratuity.  (unquote)

I do not see how "local requirements" have anything to do with it. 🙂 I realise you were quoting RC when you mentioned this, but by quoting the Australian government website, I was pointing out that it is nothing to do with Australian laws. It does have something to do with customs in Australia (I don't mean the Customs Department).