P&O drink package alcoholic beverage limit

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I always thought that all taxes and extra charges HAD to be included in the displayed price in Australia. Gratuities are not the same as GST.

Leigh

I see the point you are  making that gratuities are different from GST, but the requirement for the displayed price to include all taxes and charges came in with the introduction of GST. 

For domestic goods and services - yes. For international travel - no. If you read my quote from an Australian government website, it is clear this does not apply to international travel. For example, you do not pay GST on overseas airfares.

This is one reason Queensland coastal cruises usually go via Willis Island so the cruise is classed as 'international'. Many years ago, passengers even had to have a passport even though the cruise did not stop at an international port. This requirement has been removed.

Edited by Aus Traveller

15 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Sorry - it is not correct. It is not a requirement of Australian law that cruiselines include gratuities in the overall price. This is myth that has arisen. (Please see my earlier post.) Cruiselines have chosen to to it because Aussies are not accustomed to tipping.

I was responding to what was highlighted - the local requirements were that Australian cruises have it included, where as elsewhere they do not (P&O UK is bringing it in as well). Not that is was a law.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

For domestic goods and services - yes. For international travel - no. If you read my quote from an Australian government website, it is clear this does not apply to international travel. For example, you do not pay GST on overseas airfares.

This is one reason Queensland coastal cruises usually go via Willis Island so the cruise is classed as 'international'. Many years ago, passengers even had to have a passport even though the cruise did not stop at an international port. This requirement has been removed.

Yes but these cruises are sold in Australia and paid in Australian dollars - they may cruise to international ports. 

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I was responding to what was highlighted - the local requirements were that Australian cruises have it included, where as elsewhere they do not (P&O UK is bringing it in as well). Not that is was a law.

I am questioning the term "local requirements" that gratuities be included on cruises out of Australia. I agree that it is with cruises that are classified as "domestic". Then GST has to be charged and has to be included.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am questioning the term "local requirements" that gratuities be included on cruises out of Australia. I agree that it is with cruises that are classified as "domestic". Then GST has to be charged and has to be included.

There are still overseas cruises out of Australia, like I said, not so much law but preferred by the customers so TAs and cruise lines make it a local requirement for cruises they sell here.

13 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I always thought that all taxes and extra charges HAD to be included in the displayed price in Australia. Gratuities are not the same as GST.

Leigh

I always thought that.

we were visiting friends in Oklahoma and Texas.They couldn’t comprehend why we don’t tip. I went through the whole speech and we have no hidden charges.

In the end they gave one and other a dumb look (only as Americans can) and said how did they end up with their system.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes but these cruises are sold in Australia and paid in Australian dollars - they may cruise to international ports. 

Yes .

everything purchased on RC cruise planner is in $AU and goes through their north Sydney office.

everything purchased onboard is in $US and goes through head office in Miami.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I see the point you are  making that gratuities are different from GST, but the requirement for the displayed price to include all taxes and charges came in with the introduction of GST. 

Not quite. Pricing was always displayed as a single price pre-GST, e.g. including wholesale taxes. When GST was introduced there was a specific discussion about whether the extra tax would be displayed separately (as it typically is in the US), and there was a specific call that GST was also to be included as part of the price.

So it wasn't a change in the general rule, nor a change in component pricing, just about the GST itself that was made in 2000.

2 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Not quite. Pricing was always displayed as a single price pre-GST, e.g. including wholesale taxes. When GST was introduced there was a specific discussion about whether the extra tax would be displayed separately (as it typically is in the US), and there was a specific call that GST was also to be included as part of the price.

So it wasn't a change in the general rule, nor a change in component pricing, just about the GST itself that was made in 2000.

Agreed.

I have a strong suspicion that cruise companies make money out of drinks packages, otherwise, they would not offer them. At best they are a marketing ploy. So whilst some may feel they well and truly get their $$ worth, overall most must break even/lose. We don't buy them and have only spent about 50% per day on average of a drinks package. And we do drink a few alcoholic beverages on nearly all days on a cruise. Buy the odd coffee. We don't buy water or soft drinks. 

I also view drinks packages, along with OBC offered by the cruise company as ensuring your onboard spend to at least that amount. ie. You buy a drinks package for $1000 per cabin, cruise company has that onboard spend off you well before the cruise. Cruise company offers $500 OBC, which is usually incorporated in the fare, the company now has your $500 in their bank account. Savey price hunters will always find ways to make this work in their favor of course, but overall the company wins and takes their profit. They are a business and they are there to make a profit. 

Edited by ELep

7 minutes ago, ELep said:

I have a strong suspicion that cruise companies make money out of drinks packages, otherwise, they would not offer them. At best they are a marketing ploy. So whilst some may feel they well and truly get their $$ worth, overall most must break even/lose. We don't buy them and have only spent about 50% per day on average of a drinks package. And we do drink a few alcoholic beverages on nearly all days on a cruise. Buy the odd coffee. We don't buy water or soft drinks. 

Welcome to cruise critic. I think you are spot on, the companies are banking on most people not being able to get anywhere close to the retail value of the drinks. If people buy the drinks or the drink packages, either way the cruise line makes money

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Welcome to cruise critic. I think you are spot on, the companies are banking on most people not being able to get anywhere close to the retail value of the drinks. If people buy the drinks or the drink packages, either way the cruise line makes money

Thank you. Been reading the forums for ages. Finally got around to confirming my profile etc etc so that I could post. Some useful and interesting information on here.  

Lets face it, a $15 cocktail is probably $3 ingredients and some labor, so whilst the individual may decide that $70 p/day, every day is good value if they drink 5 cocktails p/day, it's probably still only cost the company $15 per day + labor to supply. And they had your money at 4 days - 6 months +? in their bank account. 

1 hour ago, ELep said:

Thank you. Been reading the forums for ages. Finally got around to confirming my profile etc etc so that I could post. Some useful and interesting information on here.  

Lets face it, a $15 cocktail is probably $3 ingredients and some labor, so whilst the individual may decide that $70 p/day, every day is good value if they drink 5 cocktails p/day, it's probably still only cost the company $15 per day + labor to supply. And they had your money at 4 days - 6 months +? in their bank account. 

Most of the common cocktails are $12.50, but as you say, they still make lots of money from them.

7 hours ago, ELep said:

I also view drinks packages, along with OBC offered by the cruise company as ensuring your onboard spend to at least that amount. ie. You buy a drinks package for $1000 per cabin, cruise company has that onboard spend off you well before the cruise. Cruise company offers $500 OBC, which is usually incorporated in the fare, the company now has your $500 in their bank account. Savey price hunters will always find ways to make this work in their favor of course, but overall the company wins and takes their profit. They are a business and they are there to make a profit.

This is very true and correct, savey price hunter I am hence the disappointment in the limit P&O have placed on this Bev package. We have played both cards with buying drinks as we go and the bev packages and I can say with hand on heart that this is why P&O has put the limit on. We would brush through the initial upfront cost easily in 3 sea days and the port days are the gravy. There will be people that buy the package and do not get their money worth which should even it out you would think.

Still stand by my first thoughts of freaking PENNY PITCHEN again by cruise lines.,

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:03 PM, SuitesRbest said:

Sure see your point,

If this is the case, then a limit on people grabbing a plate full of cakes/biscuit's time after time from the buffet and I have seen this happen regularly on a daily bases (and I am sure you have seen this or not?)on cruise holidays and sitting on the pool deck scoffing them down MAY cause diabetes, this put's massive pressure on the pancreas ?? 

No difference!!!

I always have a quite chuckle to myself on the first morning with breakfast, watching people with enough on their plate to feed a small army, almost as if they think the ship will run out of food.

1 hour ago, kidzplay said:

I always have a quite chuckle to myself on the first morning with breakfast, watching people with enough on their plate to feed a small army, almost as if they think the ship will run out of food.

So So true..