Trip Insurance

bigdawgs

We recently booked our flights with Choice Air. The fare is listed as “Refundable with Penalties”. It does not state what the penalties are. The reason I am asking is when purchasing trip insurance, how do we calculate the total cost of the trip? We do not want to buy more insurance than is needed especially if the airlines refund the majority of the airfare. Any insight would be appreciated.

Larry

Depends on the airline and price. Once Choice Air told me the penalty was $150 pp and another time it was $200 pp. I would call and ask. Also, are you aware that if you purchase the cruise line's travel insurance it also covers your airfare and air travel expenses like lost luggage and trip interruption? The medical and evacuation is low, but we purchase an annual med and evac policy that is very inexpensive. If you travel a lot, you might want to look into that. 

It always upsets me when people choose not to answer the question asked instead telling them what they ought to do. In following Cruise Critic for a while now, some of the the boards are not very active, so you have to ask a question in multiple places to receive an answer., especially the Roll Calls they are for the most part not very active anymore. Sorry to get on my soapbox but I always feel bad for the people asking a question and instead getting a lecture.

• Like 7

The worst is “search engine” guy who asks if you tried the search engine!

But seriously i prefer to think people are offering what advice they can, if they don’t know the answer (and in this case it varies) they recommend where you can go to find out. No one on here actually knows their specifics, so you aren’t going to get a direct answer anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justcrusn said:

The worst is “search engine” guy who asks if you tried the search engine!

But seriously i prefer to think people are offering what advice they can, if they don’t know the answer (and in this case it varies) they recommend where you can go to find out. No one on here actually knows their specifics, so you aren’t going to get a direct answer anyway.

Well, I think the search engine stinks, so I don't blame anyone for not using it.

Thank you, everyone. I went on the Choice Air website and found that the penalty for cancelling my refundable fare is $200 pp, which makes the total cost of our trip for insurance purposes a lot lower, resulting in a lower cost for trip insurance.  Once again, thank you.

Happy travels.

Larry

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:22 AM, bigdawgs said:

We recently booked our flights with Choice Air. The fare is listed as “Refundable with Penalties”. It does not state what the penalties are. The reason I am asking is when purchasing trip insurance, how do we calculate the total cost of the trip? We do not want to buy more insurance than is needed especially if the airlines refund the majority of the airfare. Any insight would be appreciated.

Larry

You can always upgrade your policy.  For example, your policy will cover your cruise but, you can't add the cost of your airline flight because it's to soon.  As soon as you can reserve your airline flights, you can add the cost to your policy.

3 hours ago, Pickels said:

You can always upgrade your policy.  For example, your policy will cover your cruise but, you can't add the cost of your airline flight because it's to soon.  As soon as you can reserve your airline flights, you can add the cost to your policy.

In fact the policy I buy requires you to increase the trip cost within 21 days of the additional non-refundable outlay to retain the pre-existing condition waiver.