Federal Judge considers sanctions affecting Carnival that could affect cruises

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Remember, this is a second offense, while on probation for the same crime.

I am not sating they are not responsible (overall) just not liable criminally.  

Edited by jimbo5544

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

I believe Shaky was referring to the corporate executives, not the board.  I personally don't believe the board of directors has enough day to day involvement in the corporation to be liable, but certainly the CEO on down.

Yes,  thank you,  that is exactly who I meant.   I'm not touching on the board at all.  I admit total ignorance as to how culpable those individuals might be held.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Remember, this is a second offense, while on probation for the same crime.

Yes, the penalties need to be much harsher than if it was a first offense as they have not shown any change in behaviour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Really, what a joke, you think they had any idea this was going on?

If they didn't they are clearly incompetent.  Do you want a board that merely rubber stamps?

These are supposedly knowledgeable people, serving with compensation, to guard shareholder interest.

Edited by bury me at sea
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Keys2Heaven said:

Question then to everyone....what would you like to see happen?

Carnival dissolve?

Banned from US ports?

Fined into oblivion?

or simply get their act together and enforce what they promote? I know misery loves company, but from what I've read, looks like many are ready to write the company off.

I just want compensation if my sailing gets canceled!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

If the didn't they are clearly incompetent.  Do you want a board that merely rubber stamps?

These are supposedly knowledgeable people, serving with compensation, to guard shareholder interest.

Nobody is saying (at least not me) that it is not a big deal. I will move here after this, but Donald is not going to be convicted of anything nor any other senior corporate officer with the possible exception of whomever signed off on their plans from the first violation (and that is a huge long shot) along the lines of me winning mega millions tonight.  The. Company will be penalized (I have no idea what the number will be) there will probably sanctions and mandated oversight by outsiders on every vessel.  Whomever falsified the reporting will lose their jobs and could see jail time but at the least will have a record.   Those are big time sanctions for a big time problem.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 5:38 PM, Aplmac said:

You live in your 100%-perfect world and I am happy for you!

Most of the rest of us live in an imperfect world

where 95-98%-perfection is realistically attainable.

We all strive for idealism, but daily/nightly Reality screws it up every time.

Nevertheless, we keep striving for idealism. Press on.

Lock them up!

So the judge should just expect (and allow for) Carnival to dump beige water (or other contaminates) illegally 2%-5% of the time?

And the reason is: it is not realistic to expect Carnival to comply with the law 100% of the time because only 95-98%-perfection is realistically attainable. 

I'd love to be in the court room for that argument.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

That's what insurance is for......

As long as your insurance would cover it, that is fine, it would depend on the cancellation reason. Many travel insurances do not cover company collapses/insolvencies.

40 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

When r u sailing?

It says in my signature, but August 24th. 

17 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

That's what insurance is for......

Why should I have to pay $150 for something that I KNOW will get wasted? I do normally buy insurance, but I won't until after June when I know that this sailing won't get canceled by Carnival. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Why should I have to pay $150 for something that I KNOW will get wasted?

So you KNOW you won't get into a car accident, you KNOW a family member might get ill or worse, sounds like a kid who drinks and drives and KNOWS he won't be caught, sorry, you don't know the future. Most importantly, your cruise will probably not be cancelled. 

21 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

It says in my signature, but August 24th. 

Why should I have to pay $150 for something that I KNOW will get wasted? I do normally buy insurance, but I won't until after June when I know that this sailing won't get canceled by Carnival. 

I am on my phone now, they do not show.   All is well grasshopper your cruise is safe, I hereby declare it so, that and the fact it is my birthday. 

Just now, coevan said:

So you KNOW you won't get into a car accident, you KNOW a family member might get ill or worse, sounds like a kid who drinks and drives and KNOWS he won't be caught, sorry, you don't know the future. Most importantly, your cruise will probably not be cancelled. 

34 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

As long as your insurance would cover it, that is fine, it would depend on the cancellation reason. Many travel insurances do not cover company collapses/insolvencies.

Case and point ...

On 4/11/2019 at 11:39 AM, Shaded Lady said:

Great question! I have travel insurance for our June cruise, but this is a good point... why wouldn't Carnival need to refund? 

I haven't read all the way through the thread yet but I'm guessing Carnival would only be responsible for the cruise itself and anything booked through them. Airfare, accommodations, etc. booked outside would not fall under their responsibility.

On 4/11/2019 at 7:40 PM, moongal said:

This upsets me greatly.  Our poor planet.  I have a cruise scheduled for this June and even though I have had it planned for over a year, and was really looking forward to going, I still hope they throw the book at Carnival and they are not allowed to dock or even worse.  I really feel like the beards should be held accountable along with the workers who actually did the illegal dumping.  Perhaps if more corporate beards were held accountable with jail time, or some other form of actual punishment that would PERSONALLY punish them, there would be more compliance.

All these posts from people upset about missing their cruise....look at the bigger picture of what is at stake here.   The very planet we live on is getting ruined.    I for one will be thrilled if Carnival is made to pay.  Even if I lose my cruise.

While I disagree with what Carnival and others have been doing, please don't dismiss someone else's disappointment at losing their cruise. My very first cruise is scheduled for July 7th this year on Carnival. I'm going on a solo cruise for my 50th birthday.  I've already had 2 other trips for this birthday cancelled and I had no control over it. So I am really looking forward to this cruise.  So please don't judge others for their feelings. We are entitled to feeling angry and disappointed and shouldn't have to hear anyone telling us to get over it. (No that's not what you said, it was implied.) Not all of us can just go grab another cruise or vacation.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, ala7769 said:

While I disagree with what Carnival and others have been doing, please don't dismiss someone else's disappointment at losing their cruise. My very first cruise is scheduled for July 7th this year on Carnival. I'm going on a solo cruise for my 50th birthday.  I've already had 2 other trips for this birthday cancelled and I had no control over it. So I am really looking forward to this cruise.  So please don't judge others for their feelings. We are entitled to feeling angry and disappointed and shouldn't have to hear anyone telling us to get over it. (No that's not what you said, it was implied.) Not all of us can just go grab another cruise or vacation.

While there are no guarantees in anything, I suspect you will be fine. Do not feel guilty about wanting to have a wonderful vacation. Do us all a favor and come back here after you return and let us know how it all worked out and how the cruise was....oh and in advance...happy birthday !!!

• Like 3

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

While there are no guarantees in anything, I suspect you will be fine. Do not feel guilty about wanting to have a wonderful vacation. Do us all a favor and come back here after you return and let us know how it all worked out and how the cruise was....oh and in advance...happy birthday !!!

Thank you so much!  I will certainly do that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ala7769 said:

I would be surprised if your cruise doesn't leave as planned.  Banning the ships from US ports is a draconian, nuclear option that I seriously doubt that the judge will exercise. She COULD do that, but in all likelihood, there are other equally effective punishments that she can throw at Carnival Corp without giving them the death penalty. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

That is so kind Jimbo. I hope you have a wonderful trip too ala! I know nobody truly wants their trip canceled but I totally understand that what was done was terrible and nobody should go unpunished. I hope the appropriate actions are taken and people who deserve to be punished are and not punishing everyone else including guests. 

• Like 1

I have a cruise booked for June 23 for me, my husband and 17 y/o son, and my two adult sons with their spouses. This is a really big deal trip for us, so I'm very much hoping that it won't be cancelled. It's a honeymoon of sorts for one of the sons, and it is a family reunion of sorts also since the adult sons haven't seen each other in 10 years. Not exactly an estranged family situation, but it's complicated. 

I did buy travel insurance for the flights, but I didn't buy it for the cruise itself. When I talked to the agent, he said that the government sanctions fine print would cause a cancellation for this reason to not be covered. I would expect, however, that Carnival would need to reimburse for the cruise if it were indeed cancelled. Am I totally off base?

1 hour ago, bnbeyer said:

I have a cruise booked for June 23 for me, my husband and 17 y/o son, and my two adult sons with their spouses. This is a really big deal trip for us, so I'm very much hoping that it won't be cancelled. It's a honeymoon of sorts for one of the sons, and it is a family reunion of sorts also since the adult sons haven't seen each other in 10 years. Not exactly an estranged family situation, but it's complicated. 

I did buy travel insurance for the flights, but I didn't buy it for the cruise itself. When I talked to the agent, he said that the government sanctions fine print would cause a cancellation for this reason to not be covered. I would expect, however, that Carnival would need to reimburse for the cruise if it were indeed cancelled. Am I totally off base?

I would think they would have to give refunds for the cruise itself, as well as any money paid directly to Carnival for excursions, gratuities, etc,  since it's not something that is not their fault.  I can't imagine that any judge willing to impose such a stiff penalty would allow them to keep money for a cruise cancelled due to the sanctions.

I'm with others, though, who don't believe it will come to the point of cancelled cruises.  Best of luck and enjoy your family reunion!!

Edited by keywest1
add info
  • Like 1