Federal Judge considers sanctions affecting Carnival that could affect cruises

1 hour ago, twentyknots said:

The Judge will hear the case again in June.  Does anyone know the date in June?  We have cruise on HAL's Oosterdam departing Seattle on June 2, 2019.

They will not be stopping any ship from docking..... trust me.

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

They will not be stopping any ship from docking..... trust me.

That's what I thought!

Thousands upon thousands of US citizens trapped at sea, indefinitely!
How's that going to work?? LOL

• Like 3

I hope Carnival and all the Cruise  lines follow the rules. I have a hard time believing any judge is going to try and destroy their own state by not allowing the largest cruise line in the world to dock.   

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

That's what I thought!

I am sure I will be taken to task for saying it here, and if they did something wrong, they should be punished, but really..... did you see my post on Antigua backing down?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

That's what I thought!

There will be notice given. The cruises won't depart if the ban goes into effect on or after the disembark date. Nobody will be trapped at sea.

• Like 5

The statements about the actual and alleged illegal dumping was quite alarming to read.  

I really would like some details about the violations - not because I don't believe them, but more curious about the nature of them.  I doubt any ship would dump oil just for the heck of it - oil is useful for running ships, last I looked, so it must have been oil-contaminated water or something.  Yep, found an article about the original incident:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/dec/02/the-40m-magic-pipe-princess-cruises-given-record-fine-for-dumping-oil-at-sea

and

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/princess-cruise-lines-pay-largest-ever-criminal-penalty-deliberate-vessel-pollution

(I can't believe the Justice Dept actually used the term "magic pipe" in its findings.)

Regarding the latest allegations of dumping gray water into Glacier Bay NP: I really can't understand why the ship would dump gray water into the bay if it could legally dump it into international waters either before entering the bay or after leaving it.  Sounds like someone is not paying attention...

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 3

Not to panic people.  But it's just one of several possible rulings if Carnival Corp doesn't mend ways.  They'll pay the freight versus risking millions more with cancellations and related charges.  Also, port authorities may argue against that stiff of a sentence fro the actions of a couple of Princess ships.  Either way the ambulance chasers and sue-the-pants-off-them bottom feeders will get their payday while the rest of us cough up the bucks.  And in the end the world will go on.

• Like 6

Read the articles in The Advocate (New Orleans--a reprint of the Miami Herald article).

Curious as to why C-Levels not taking this seriously. They are very conscious of the Carnival image. I would think they would respond personally.

5 minutes ago, sw33twif3 said:

Read the articles in The Advocate (New Orleans--a reprint of the Miami Herald article).

Curious as to why C-Levels not taking this seriously. They are very conscious of the Carnival image. I would think they would respond personally.

Could be that they are trying to get all the facts before they say anything to limit them spreading misinformation or making a false claim.
I am sure their legal team is all over this, though.

Not sure why the judge would insist on the heads of Carnival being present, when that is what the legal team is there for. (but I am not a lawyer either, so...)

It does seem in their response they said that some of the facts are being misrepresented.
I am curious to know what those are.
Off the top of my head, I would assume the part about making pre-audit rushes to make sure a ship doesn't have anything that would fail the audit.
But that doesn't seem suspicious to me, that seems prudent.
Anyone who knows an audit or test is coming is going to make sure things are ship-shape (pun intended).
Unless the audits are supposed to be surprise audits, which would mean someone in the third party is leaking the information to Carnival.

Also, doesn't seem as though Carnival as a brand is as guilty of these things as their subsidiaries (Princess, etc.) which makes me wonder if it is a corporate-wide failing or something specific to whoever is managing those brands.

3 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Thats what happens when you get caught dumping oil and trash in the ocean. I think they are lucky they only got probation, whoever ordered the dumping should be in jail.

In their defense, about two tons of suntan oil is dumped along each of a dozen cruise stop beaches every day. In Grand Turk last year there was a slick out to the horizon halfway to Nassau! 

The US can, has, and could prevent ships from docking. Following US maritime law is serious.  Cruises back for hawaii, have to stop in Mexico, to redock in the USA.  Even aid to Puerto Rico,  had to follow rules after the Hurricane.

It can happen.  The judge can wield a lot of power.  They were found to have lied.  I have been following this before now. It is pretty serious.  The judge is livid.  The next appeals court might be more harsh.   They are very strict on lying an polluting.  They are in the Southern District of NY.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aplmac said:

That's what I thought!

My guess is that they would allow the ships at sea back in port to disembark passengers but may not allow embarkation. Imagine if you will, boarding your flight to Havana to get on a Carnival ship  LOL

• Like 1