Travel Insurance Refund for Oasis

We have been told by RCCL that there will be no refunds for the RCCL travel insurance we purchased for the canceled  Oasis cruise on 4/7/19.  We will not be putting in a claim as we don't have any extra travel arrangements i.e. hotel or flights.  I tried to get an explanation of the reasoning as to why there would be no refunds and they didn't have any.  All they said was that they would not be refunding the cost of the insurance. So we are paying for something we can't use because the cruise was canceled by the same people that sold the insurance.!!!

We are Diamond members, so are loyal to RCCL, but this seems just wrong....  .

53 minutes ago, cruiselovers30 said:

We have been told by RCCL that there will be no refunds for the RCCL travel insurance we purchased for the canceled  Oasis cruise on 4/7/19.  We will not be putting in a claim as we don't have any extra travel arrangements i.e. hotel or flights.  I tried to get an explanation of the reasoning as to why there would be no refunds and they didn't have any.  All they said was that they would not be refunding the cost of the insurance. So we are paying for something we can't use because the cruise was canceled by the same people that sold the insurance.!!!

I'd have a problem with that too!!!! Why should you need to pay for vacation insurance for one that ultimately did not exist. File claim with credit card

Edited by cruisinfanatic

16 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

Even though you made no claims, you did have the protection while it was in force.   In other words, you did use it.

This makes sense but I feel like they should make an exception here.  I do feel like they've done a lot already so likely not needed but this has the potential to smart more than necessary when people are facing a cruise cancelled for reasons they couldn't control.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

It's not in force until you leave your house on vacation

I think that would depend on what coverage is purchased.  If you are covered for circumstance  like illness which would cause you to cancel then it certainly would be in force before you left.

• Like 2

If I recall correctly, in the past they've said it was so people could file claims for travel arrangements. Regardless, there are likely also regulatory ramifications. Also, had you purchased your travel insurance directly through a third party, you wouldn't be getting a refund from them either.

• Like 1

The general current coverage is outlined here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithGallery.do?pagename=cruise_insurance

While certain types of included coverage apply during the cruise, other included coverage covers the period before the cruise begins. 

The cancelation coverage has been in effect since you bought the protection plan.  Other's who purchased the cruise with the protection plan may have filed a claim based on a covered reason before the cruise was cancelled.  CFAR coverage if applicable for your state or country of residence has been available to you since you bought the protection plan.  Not filing a claim does not make you eligible for a refund.  

Actual coverage can vary by state or region.  Check coverage for your state or region and see if your local regulators have any governance that applies in this situation. 

2 hours ago, hapster85 said:

Also, had you purchased your travel insurance directly through a third party, you wouldn't be getting a refund from them either.

If there was no financial loss, some 3rd party policies allow you to change your policy trip dates to a different/new cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiselovers30 said:

I have to agree with you on this.  Since you had RCCL insurance, and RCCL cancelled the cruise and provided refunds to those who weren't insured, it seems you are being punished for doing  your due diligence and purchasing insurance.  Obviously if it was third party insurance, then no issue.  Or if you were able to use it to get reimbursed for travel that non insured were not reimbursed for.   But it seems unfair in your situation that they didn't refund the insurance premium too since you didn't cancel the cruise, they did. 

If there was no financial loss, some 3rd party policies allow you to change your policy trip dates to a different/new cruise.
Good point. We were allowed to shift the dates for our policy when we had to rebook last fall.

23 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Another reason not to buy through Royal.  

There have been a number of posts on cc by people who purchased 3rd party insurance and were allowed to roll policy into a different cruise when theirs was cancelled.

I agree 100%... Royal Caribbean should not keep the Insurance Policy money! I have purchased Insurance from 3rd. party Insurance companies and was able to roll my policy to a different cruise after I cancelled a previous cruise.