Enough time (return flight out of MIA)???

birdlord

We are sailing Symphony of Seas December 7-14, 2019.  Ship due to dock at 6am on December 14.  Last time we did this (on Harmony), we self disembarked early (6:30?) and were at the airport by 7am... of course, that was FLL and not MIA.  Anyone here familiar enough with MIA cruise port and MIA airport to know if self-disembarkation would allow enough time to get to MIA for a 9am flight (we have TSA pre check).  I know there's no way to account for coming in late to port due to emergencies, etc., but if everything were to go smoothly, would this be unreasonable?  I don't want to book the next flight leaving at 2:15 p.m. if we can make the 9am comfortably.

".....if we can make the 9am comfortably."

That last word got me. You say you know all the things that are out of your control. You know you better than anyone.

9am comfortably wouldn't be in my wheelhouse. I'm doing 10:15am flight at FLL and sailing from FLL and that's right on the edge for me, but I've got nothing to lose.

Sorry, can't help you on this one.

Comfortable sure does mean different things to different people.  I can only judge from when I did this in FLL -- it was crazy fast getting to the airport -- so early that we weren't even allowed to check in for our flight.  But, I have little experience with MIA and the travel to/from the cruise port.  It sure is crazy how flights seem to be either early or late with nothing really "in between."

"Comfortably" is definitely the key part here. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it because I have no desire to end my vacation with an earlier-than-necessary morning and a stressful rush to the airport. It's one of the things I really dislike about cruising - the rush to end it ASAP.

I personally would take the late flight and find a way to have a relaxing morning in the area, even if it costs a little more (such as for a rental car for a few hours). But, that's me.

5 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

"Comfortably" is definitely the key part here. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it because I have no desire to end my vacation with an earlier-than-necessary morning and a stressful rush to the airport. It's one of the things I really dislike about cruising - the rush to end it ASAP.

I personally would take the late flight and find a way to have a relaxing morning in the area, even if it costs a little more (such as for a rental car for a few hours). But, that's me.

Seems to be a matter of preference.  We really despise waiting around for our "number" to get called on the last day, so we'd probably do self-disembarkation early a.m. anyway just to get it done.  I might take the chance - but it could be expensive.  I have some time to mull it over.  

4 minutes ago, birdlord said:

Seems to be a matter of preference.  We really despise waiting around for our "number" to get called on the last day, so we'd probably do self-disembarkation early a.m. anyway just to get it done.  I might take the chance - but it could be expensive.  I have some time to mull it over.  

I guess it is personal preference. For me, it may also depend on what my "number" was. If it was already an early one, I might just say "the hell with it" and get off the ship as early as possible. If it's a later one, like last time, I would much rather just hang out in my room and sit on my balcony as long as possible before getting off the ship at the last possible moment.

I think even if you disembark at 6:30 you are cutting it very close.  VERY close.

Perfect world, off the ship at 6:30, clear customs and in a cab 15 minutes later...then 45 min to MIA.  Another 10-15 min to exit the cab and get to TSA security.  With pre-check and a small line, another 10-15 minutes.  It's now after 8:00am and your flight is scheduled to depart less than an hour from now; boarding has likely begun (most start 45 min before takeoff).  The doors to the plane will shut at 8:50.  You are at a minimum, very briskly walking to the gate to be in the last group to board.

For me, this is not even close to comfortable.

4 minutes ago, msmayor said:

I think even if you disembark at 6:30 you are cutting it very close.  VERY close.

Perfect world, off the ship at 6:30, clear customs and in a cab 15 minutes later...then 45 min to MIA.  Another 10-15 min to exit the cab and get to TSA security.  With pre-check and a small line, another 10-15 minutes.  It's now after 8:00am and your flight is scheduled to depart less than an hour from now; boarding has likely begun (most start 45 min before takeoff).  The doors to the plane will shut at 8:50.  You are at a minimum, very briskly walking to the gate to be in the last group to board.

For me, this is not even close to comfortable.

That is exactly the information I was seeking. I had no clue it was a 45 minute ride from cruise port to the airport.  In Ft. Lauderdale, it's more like 10-15 minutes at that time of morning.  Getting thru customs took about 3 minutes when we self-disembarked from Harmony and of course FLL is a much smaller airport.  Thanks.

5 hours ago, birdlord said:

I had no clue  it was a 45 minute ride from cruise port to the airport.

Google Maps is your friend.  30 miles from Port Everglades to MIA.  Probably took about 90 seconds or less to get that info.

Even though much of that is freeway, I-95 can be a mess at any given time, weekday or weekend, day or night.

5 hours ago, birdlord said:

I had no clue it was a 45 minute ride from cruise port to the airport.

5 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Google Maps is your friend.  30 miles from Port Everglades to MIA.  Probably took about 90 seconds or less to get that info.

I think the OP said they were on Symphony of the Seas. The 7 December 2019 cruise seems to be scheduled to depart from Miami, and to return to Miami on 14 December 2019.

I don't think it's ever taken me 45 minutes between the cruise ship docks in Miami and MIA, but others who've done it more frequently than I have may know better.

The TSA app (MyTSA) is useful to show you which security checkpoints have a pre-check lane that is open - there may not be many!

And MIA is so much bigger than FLL, the walk to the gate may take ages. I never find the Skytrain to be much use because there are so few stations but it may help you.

I wouldn't book a 9am flight, I think it'd be awfully tight and uncomfortable timing.

The Port of Miami and Miami International  Airport are not far from each other. I live in Miami. On a Saturday or Sunday morning you could easily do this drive in 15 minutes BUT that assumes there’s no traffic jam, accidents, road construction, heavy rain, etc. As others mentioned, MIA is huge and your gate could be a 5 minute walk or a half hour odyssey from the entrance. The TSA precheck lines are usually not too long at MIA but of course that could vary. If you could really get off the ship at 6:30am I think your odds of making the 9am flight would be high but personally I would sleep in and try to be the last one off the ship and take the later flight. 

Ok,  I have made this timing multiple times,  BUT,  no consequences IF I don't.     Which is not the case with most.    The early time is a plus since it disperses the crowds.   But I'd still be  up and in line,  prior to the posted time.    Miami is a big spread out airport as mentioned.    Can be very time consuming getting to gates.     

• 3 weeks later...

I will be on the Symphony on Saturday in August arriving in Port of MIA?

I can take non stop flight to Canada.

Flight out of FLL 11:50am only flight.

or

Flight out of MIA 12:10pm or 8pm

I would do self disembarkment and take a taxi.

Which flight would you take?

21 hours ago, phabric said:

I will be on the Symphony on Saturday in August arriving in Port of MIA?

I can take non stop flight to Canada.

Flight out of FLL 11:50am only flight.

or

Flight out of MIA 12:10pm or 8pm

I would do self disembarkment and take a taxi.

Which flight would you take?

Since there is only 20 min difference in the FLL departure time and the earlier MIA departure time, I'd just fly out of MIA and avoid the hassle of a cab ride to FLL.