Jim_Iain Live Blog - Infinity B2B - Carribbean and East Bound TA

Jim_Iain

Thursday, April 18

As I mentioned a little earlier, we walked over to the shopping market next to Embassy Suites last evening.  It would be a great location for anyone needing last minute purchases.   They have a nice Publix Market and have a Total Wine & More.    Would especially be good for those wanting to pick up a couple bottles of wine. 

We had a nice dinner at Carlos and Peppe's last evening.    The service was very attentive and the food was good.   The only complaint I would have is the meals were HUGE.   We were both only able to eat half our meal.  

Bedtime came about 11 PM last evening after grabbing a drink at the bar.    I had to turn the air conditioner off in our room last night.   May be that we aren't use to air conditioning but was freezing in the room.    The room remained very comfortable over night.    On week days the hotel only serves breakfast between 7-9 so set alarm clock for 8.     They do a nice breakfast service with a hot grill, fruit, cereals, sweet rolls and muffins as well as juices, milk, coffee and tea.    

It is now 10:00 and we are just sitting around and sipping coffee and tea until checkout time at 11:00.  

It is suppose to get up to the high 80's today and scattered thunderstorms are projected.  Right now there are big back clouds heading our way.    The good news is, while it is suppose to be stormy in Fort Lauderdale tomorrow, Key West is suppose to be clear and sunny.   We can at least keep our fingers crossed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thought I would share a comparison of Uber and Lyft.   Definitely no lack of cars. 

98E89FAB-13E3-4089-A37D-D225B85268AD.thumb.png.7f517e8b0fc581700a34a59fd049c09c.png

86FC1CE7-014F-49C7-9D86-3287571DEA99.thumb.png.d0702342bc57fafc18f320afae5091fa.png

We almost always have 30% off on UBER otherwise Lyft does seem to be a few dollars less.

Have a quick check in and great cruise.

Edited by orchestrapal

We are aboard.   There was a bit of confusion at the port today.  1/2 of the signs said we were sailing from Terminal 25 and 1/2 said 19.   We followed the instructions on our priority boarding placard and found 25 deserted.  We then tried 19 and there Infinty was.  

The staff at the door were totally confused and one told me I had to carry bags all the way back to the other end of terminal.   Iain found a better agent who told us to drop them directly behind the agent I had spoken to. 

Once we were done with that she whisked us through security and directly to Michael’s Club.  

The MCC is Win from Belgium, he is delightful and very efficient.  He will be ending his contract at the end of the TransAtlantic.  

C2E59A47-BE32-4B35-9291-B8641B9C1A21.thumb.jpeg.a6d1f7c0eaeee337822c47f82b1724d5.jpeg

77E7368C-F24D-4118-88B5-EDD775E5EA2B.thumb.jpeg.0a9249f8cbd33309c71d72decb110fcd.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I had to turn the air conditioner off in our room last night.   May be that we aren't use to air conditioning but was freezing in the room.    The room remained very comfortable over night.   

I started laughing when I read this...

We've had glorious weather recently in Talkeetna (Sunny & 50's)...

However, winter has returned & we have fresh snow...

It took me a moment to register FL weather vs. AK 🙂 

In my defense...

When I lived in the South (TX, LA, FL...)

I was generally chilled by the levels of AC that everyone preferred!!!

In Alaska  --  I'm generally too hot w/ the levels of heat everyone prefers...

22 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Couple pictures of our room at Embassy Suites.  The rooms are showing some wear and tear but clean and comfortable.   You can’t beat the location. 

Prices are on the high side at $212. 

Thank you for sharing the pictures and your comments.   We are staying there next Friday and Saturday before we board Edge for the TA.   Originally had booked the Riverside, but cancelled when ES had a nice sale....  Got ours for $171 a night.   

Have a great time!

Joe (and Jeff)

Edited by JoePDX

18 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Hi  @Jim_Iain

Hope the weather holds out for you for sail away. From the port webcam its looking like billowing clouds are building

Weather was beautiful for sail away and with the exception of a couple evening showers it has been dry.  

16 hours ago, Von & John said:

I started laughing when I read this...

We've had glorious weather recently in Talkeetna (Sunny & 50's)...

However, winter has returned & we have fresh snow...

It took me a moment to register FL weather vs. AK 🙂 

In my defense...

When I lived in the South (TX, LA, FL...)

I was generally chilled by the levels of AC that everyone preferred!!!

In Alaska  --  I'm generally too hot w/ the levels of heat everyone prefers...

We are much the same with Air Conditioning as our weather at home is generally mild.   Even though we have air conditioning we sometimes go years without using it.

Funny you should mention air conditioning as I am going to have the Butler have the engineers work on our thermostat today.   Our bedroom is freezing and as I sit in Key West I have the door open to warm up the living room.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JoePDX said:

Thank you for sharing the pictures and your comments.   We are staying there next Friday and Saturday before we board Edge for the TA.   Originally had booked the Riverside, but cancelled when ES had a nice sale....  Got ours for $171 a night.   

Have a great time!

Joe (and Jeff)

I have to say the Embassy Suite was really relaxing and quiet.   The main items I noticed showing wear was limited to a couple soft goods and nicks and bruises.    Notably were two foot stools in our room which was one of the first things I saw on entering the room.   They were heavily scarred and looked like they had been tossed out the window of a passing car.   The remainder off the furniture was in really nice shape and I would have no qualms staying there again.

• Thanks 1

First day on board was very relaxing. 

First up was the Safety Drill which was scheduled for 3:15.    Our muster station was Rendez-Vous Lounge which was packed and at least 1/2 the room standing.   It wasn't very well handled and they never did get through calling out all the room numbers before the instructions began over the PA.   Not sure why but at least 80% of the rooms called our were in the lounge.

560EF17D-5AEB-4D0C-9120-11899B8203E4.thumb.jpeg.33db0ac5719a75d971c9bf95146fc6e6.jpeg

Was a beautiful sail away and the skies were clear and temperatures moderate. 

D999D394-3842-405B-857F-00E7C8E524FC.thumb.jpeg.eef6842eb6f5287ed3bce0457f3241eb.jpeg

A0898827-7D9B-4FE7-9498-F5BCE566BFBE.thumb.jpeg.e069d5d20497c1f01a52adf062a7ccf5.jpeg

C1F4A5C7-6921-46F4-B57E-876A26BCDD25.thumb.jpeg.9fe1d5d0b2c7fb40069c826b6996c781.jpeg 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

We were really surprised to see that a friend was aboard.   Many of you may recognize Marcia who was also with us for our Initiation to Zenith.   She has since hit Zenith herself.  This will be the 5th time we have sailed together.

We met in Michael's Club for cocktails and the went to dinner together at about 8:00 PM.   Surprisingly Luminae did not suffer from the 1st night confusion that is common.    I would say about 20% of the tables were empty.  

The Restaurant Manager is Bodgen pronounced Bo Gen.    He is very effective and appears to run the room to perfection.

I'm trying to remember to take copies of the Menus .  

Marcia and I had the Lobster Salad as a a starter which was very tasty.    It is comprised of Lobster, Heart of Palm, Cilantro, Pineapple and thinly sliced pepper.  It is dressed with a vanilla sauce and was very tasty.   Iain skipped this course.

For dinner Both Iain and Marcia had the Cote de Boeuf which was cooked perfectly to their order and was both tasty and tender.   I chose the Halibut which was also very tasty.

For desert Iain and I had Ice Cream (my downfall in life) while Marcia skipped desert.

Surprisingly we were not tired from both the time zone changes and having been up early and chatted until we closed the restaurant.

• Like 2

So glad to see the first night in Luminae was "quiet".  Please tell Marcia that Janice says hello.  As I mentioned before I ran into Marcia and her sister on the Edge in January.  She seems to be sailing quite a bit -- good for her!!!!  Enjoy your cruise(s).

We board Reflection Monday for the TA. I am curious with be new pricing what the onboard booking offers will offer.  

Flying down Sunday and staying at the Hyatt near the ES.  Like the area.  

This is our third eastbound TA in three years. 

1 hour ago, jcpc said:

So glad to see the first night in Luminae was "quiet".  Please tell Marcia that Janice says hello.  As I mentioned before I ran into Marcia and her sister on the Edge in January.  She seems to be sailing quite a bit -- good for her!!!!  Enjoy your cruise(s).

I will let her know later today.   We just got back ashore after meeting her in town.   Beautiful day in Key West with lots of sun.   It is suppose to get stormy around 5:00 PM.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JoePDX said:

Have a great time!

Joe (and Jeff)

We had to pay a little more than that, but we are doing the same.  Actually, we had a suite booked at Hyatt Marina, but after I saw a photo of a drunken woman on the floor of a hallway, I just could not continue with my reservation.  Glad that Jim mentioned the quiet and close by stores etc...I wanted the view of the pier, but am happy with ES...

• Like 1