On board discount - speciality restaurants

phoenix1975

If you book before your cruise (via Cruise personaliser) then yes. 

If you book on board, NO - for as long as you have on board credit. Once your OBC is all used up, then yes.

Confusing? You bet. 

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

If you book before your cruise (via Cruise personaliser) then yes. 

If you book on board, NO - for as long as you have on board credit. Once your OBC is all used up, then yes.

Confusing? You bet. 

Thanks - unless P&O have given me some I don't know about, I don't have OBC anyway.

4 hours ago, phoenix1975 said:

Hi

Does the Peninsular on-board discount apply for the cover charges in the speciality restaurants, or just the drinks bought in them?

Thanks 🙂

If you pre-book on line your discount is deducted.

When on board, discount only applies after your on board credit is used up.

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

If you pre-book on line your discount is deducted.

When on board, discount only applies after your on board credit is used up.

If you intend spending all your OBC, and unless you have an overly large amount that's usually easy, then its the same effect either way.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you intend spending all your OBC, and unless you have an overly large amount that's usually easy, then its the same effect either way.

As a high loyalty RCCL member I get fantastic benefits.

With P&O my 8.5% loyalty discount should be on everything regardless of obc as I feel this cheapens the loyalty benefit when it only kicks in after obc is used up.

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Not really.

If I have £360 obc and a first time cruiser has £360 obc and we both only spend £360 then my 8.5% loyalty discount for over 1000 points is irrelevant and no benefit whatsoever.

Edited by grapau27

29 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

As a high loyalty RCCL member I get fantastic benefits.

With P&O my 8.5% loyalty discount should be on everything regardless of obc as I feel this cheapens the loyalty benefit when it only kicks in after obc is used up.

I completely agree. You should get the discount regardless of OBC so that your OBC stretches further. P&O gets away with it due to the misguided belief of many passengers that OBC is not ‘their’ money but P&O’s. In the days of the endless tipping threads, some people even applied the ‘logic’ that if it was paid for out of OBC then it wasn’t really costing them! The only time that you don’t lose out by the absence of loyalty discount is if your OBC covers your entire on board spend for the duration of the whole cruise. 

20 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I completely agree. You should get the discount regardless of OBC so that your OBC stretches further. P&O gets away with it due to the misguided belief of many passengers that OBC is not ‘their’ money but P&O’s. In the days of the endless tipping threads, some people even applied the ‘logic’ that if it was paid for out of OBC then it wasn’t really costing them! The only time that you don’t lose out by the absence of loyalty discount is if your OBC covers your entire on board spend for the duration of the whole cruise. 

But we have all known we don't get the discount until the OBC is spent for ages, so why do we keep carping on about it.  If you wish we can ask P&O to stop offering OBC, then you can get the benefit of the discount straight away, especially now that there is no auto grats to eat into it.

Just out of interest does anyone book all their excursions, speciality dining and special treats before they cruise, just to get the maximum discount; and then of course find they have to drink themselves stupid every night just to use up their OBC?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But we have all known we don't get the discount until the OBC is spent for ages, so why do we keep carping on about it.  If you wish we can ask P&O to stop offering OBC, then you can get the benefit of the discount straight away, especially now that there is no auto grats to eat into it.

Just out of interest does anyone book all their excursions, speciality dining and special treats before they cruise, just to get the maximum discount; and then of course find they have to drink themselves stupid every night just to use up their OBC?

Im afraid that I don’t follow that logic at all John. Yes, most of us know that P&O doesn’t apply loyalty discount until all OBC is exhausted, but that doesn’t make it right. Factually, loyalty tier customers lose out by the value of their OBC multiplied by their loyalty discount percentage (as grapau27 pointed out). I have had one or two cruises where my OBC has covered all of my on board account but even then, my wife could have treated herself to a free item in the shops with the amount that would have been left had the discount been applied to all purchases. The issue came up due to answering the OP’s question and I don’t believe that I have mentioned it for ages, so hardly carping on!

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Im afraid that I don’t follow that logic at all John. Yes, most of us know that P&O doesn’t apply loyalty discount until all OBC is exhausted, but that doesn’t make it right. Factually, loyalty tier customers lose out by the value of their OBC multiplied by their loyalty discount percentage (as grapau27 pointed out). I have had one or two cruises where my OBC has covered all of my on board account but even then, my wife could have treated herself to a free item in the shops with the amount that would have been left had the discount been applied to all purchases. The issue came up due to answering the OP’s question and I don’t believe that I have mentioned it for ages, so hardly carping on!

I agree.

We are told our loyalty is rewarded by 8.5% discount but it is not when it is only applicable after obc is used up.

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We might know but that doesn't make it right.

A first time cruiser can book a balcony cabin on a select booking and get the same obc as someone who has had 10+ cruises booking the same.

P&O need to look at applying loyalty discount on all sales otherwise it is hardly a benefit.

For a similar number of sailings on RC they supply a loyalty lounge supplying unlimited free drinks for 3.5 hours per night.

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes to the first I do pay everything I can in advance but not it has to be said for the discount but to aid budgeting. As to OBC that never covers what I spend on board - glasshouse lunches, drinks including coffees

Aside from the obc/ loyalty discount discussion we recently booked the Limelight Club online in advance and it was discounted by our 10% loyalty so cost £45, £22.50 each.

It was for Gareth Gates and when on board we noticed it had gone up to £35 pp.

So if we had left it until we boarded relying on obc it would have cost us the full £70.

I have always been of the opinion that not applying loyalty discount to obc spend is a rip off. The higher you are on the scale the more you are ripped off. 

19 minutes ago, jake 26 said:

I have always been of the opinion that not applying loyalty discount to obc spend is a rip off. The higher you are on the scale the more you are ripped off. 

I've always been aware of it, and it's never really bothered me - but I take your point entirely. 

It's just the way P&O operates, I'm afraid.  They know that people will just put up with it, keep coming back for more, and that overall they can simply use this little trick to boost profits.  P&O defenders in the forum will say it's perfectly fine, as always, and those who dare to criticise the way that P&O conducts its business will be told they can always book with someone else.  Which is of course true.

11 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I book my excursions and speciality dining before the cruise but, although I'm only a very modest drinker, I've never had enough OBC to make using it all a problem.

35 minutes ago, docco said:

I've always been aware of it, and it's never really bothered me - but I take your point entirely. 

It's just the way P&O operates, I'm afraid.  They know that people will just put up with it, keep coming back for more, and that overall they can simply use this little trick to boost profits.  P&O defenders in the forum will say it's perfectly fine, as always, and those who dare to criticise the way that P&O conducts its business will be told they can always book with someone else.  Which is of course true.

I doubt I could ever qualify as a P&O cheerleader, just ask Dai?

However whilst I fully understand the points you all make. I have always accepted the discount for what it is, merely a marketing ploy to make regular cruisers feel they are being rewarded, but which in reality costs P&O very little.

I have always maintained that I would much prefer the free wi-fi time and free happy hour drinks or mini bar, that other lines like the RCI group and even Carnival's own Princess cruises offer.

22 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I doubt I could ever qualify as a P&O cheerleader, just ask Dai?

However whilst I fully understand the points you all make. I have always accepted the discount for what it is, merely a marketing ploy to make regular cruisers feel they are being rewarded, but which in reality costs P&O very little.

I have always maintained that I would much prefer the free wi-fi time and free happy hour drinks or mini bar, that other lines like the RCI group and even Carnival's own Princess cruises offer.

You see we do agree at times, OBC & Loyalty schemes are both marketing tools. Nothing more nothing less. They are a little extra which is nice to have. I am very happy for P&O to give me enough OBC so that I cannot use my 10% discount. 

Anyone who books a cruise because of  loyalty schemes is just daft. 

We cruise because the price is right and the ship is sailing when we can cruise or want to cruise.

Edited by daiB

1 hour ago, jake 26 said:

Aside from the obc/ loyalty discount discussion we recently booked the Limelight Club online in advance and it was discounted by our 10% loyalty so cost £45, £22.50 each.

It was for Gareth Gates and when on board we noticed it had gone up to £35 pp.

So if we had left it until we boarded relying on obc it would have cost us the full £70.

Another P&O con charging to see Gareth Gates we have seen him on Princess in main theatre and he was free.

4 minutes ago, phoenix1975 said:

It's gone rather off the original topic now. I don't have any OBC and was asking about the discount you get from being a Peninsular club member.

Then you are laughing, you don't need to "worry" at all about your OBC, I do feel sorry for those that have that worry though! 🙂

1 hour ago, daiB said:

You see we do agree at times, OBC & Loyalty schemes are both marketing tools. Nothing more nothing less. They are a little extra which is nice to have. I am very happy for P&O to give me enough OBC so that I cannot use my 10% discount. 

Anyone who books a cruise because of  loyalty schemes is just daft. 

We cruise because the price is right and the ship is sailing when we can cruise or want to cruise.

Yes we do but RC offering is very tempting.

These benefits are on top of a loyalty lounge which supplies unlimited free drinks for 3.5 hours every night.

IMG_20181025_140714.jpg

Edited by grapau27

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

have always maintained that I would much prefer the free wi-fi time and free happy hour drinks or mini bar, that other lines like the RCI group and even Carnival's own Princess cruises offer.

But if that was the case those of us who don't drink and care not a fig for free wifi would loose out. Whereas OBC benefits everyone as you can spend it where you want.

• Like 1

We were on Oriana at Christmas & New Year.  Just as we were thinking we're now getting our 10% discount because we've used up the OBC, the pesky engines packed up.  I took a chance and ordered more grog just in case we got some OBC because of the technical issue.  I say took a chance as a) I didn't know for certain we'd get some OBC, as I didn't know how long the tech failure would last, and b) the toilets weren't working and you guessed it I didn't know how long that would last either!

Anyway, £100 OBC pp later, we hadn't still used up the new  amount of OBC and resorted to the shops on the last day.  

BTW we'd removed auto tips and did the right thing the old fashioned way.