Cruise planners beware

Do not plan a cruise on a ship that is scheduled for dry dock after your cruise. We were informed only 1 week prior to our cruise that the NCL Getaway would not stop at 2 great ports, Belgium and France, this arriving at the final destination of Southampton UK 2 days early leaving 4000 passengers scrambling for last minute changes. Minimal compensation. I remember reading something about another NCL ship going in for dry dock following the current cruise but they started working on the ship during its final cruise-ripping up carpet and other major inconveniences. So beware. Ask about dry dock. Maybe we need contracts as consumers that they deliver as promised. These changes were preplanned not weather related-deceptive I would say

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Anyone that cruises a ship the first week for an inaugural or right after dry dock is setting themselves up for disappointment. Not every time but you'll see me and my family around neither .....  

The cruises before and after a dry dock are sometimes one-off repositioning cruises calling at one-off port which are great. Not the same 'ole ports over and over. 

We were on inaugural Breakaway, Getaway, Escape and Bliss. All equally great cruises with special events onboard. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Montanagirlalways said:

I have travel insurance with I believe travel insured. Will check 

Insured? What are your losses? The cruise line will pay for changes to your flights or local hotels. If you are not out any cash, then there is nothing to claim. 

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Insured? What are your losses? The cruise line will pay for changes to your flights or local hotels. If you are not out any cash, then there is nothing to claim. 

I think that you are correct about hotels but if it's needed to change the flights the cruiseline will often pay only a small amount which doesn't cover the costs.

Many (most?) insurences doesn't cover that kind of things so it may cost a lot for the cruiser when the cruiseline make last minute changes.

Edited by sverigecruiser

9 hours ago, Montanagirlalways said:

Do not plan a cruise on a ship that is scheduled for dry dock after your cruise. We were informed only 1 week prior to our cruise that the NCL Getaway would not stop at 2 great ports, Belgium and France, this arriving at the final destination of Southampton UK 2 days early leaving 4000 passengers scrambling for last minute changes. Minimal compensation. I remember reading something about another NCL ship going in for dry dock following the current cruise but they started working on the ship during its final cruise-ripping up carpet and other major inconveniences. So beware. Ask about dry dock. Maybe we need contracts as consumers that they deliver as promised. These changes were preplanned not weather related-deceptive I would say

Yeah, the passengers on the Sun found that out the hard way a couple years ago while cruising through the Panama Canal.  Truly despicable treatment by NCL.  Not surprising to see NCL still puts profits over 'valued customers'.

10 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Anyone that cruises a ship the first week for an inaugural or right after dry dock is setting themselves up for disappointment. Not every time but you'll see me and my family around neither .....  

I guess we have been lucky because several years ago we did the Sun just prior to dry dock and I don't remember any problems at all and we did the Jewel on her virgin cruise from UK to America. If was one of our favorite cruises. The only problem we had was a few of the crew were new to NCL period and there were a few glitches but we happen to have a lousy cabin stewared. we never even met her, but I don't blame that on the cruise timing, just bad luck. I heard a few complaints on the ship but very few. 

6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think that you are correct about hotels but if it's needed to change the flights the cruiseline will often pay only a small amount which doesn't cover the costs.

NCL, in general, is very reasonable if you treat them respectfully. If you go in guns blazing cursing and screaming, you will get exactly what they have offered,,,, not a penny more.

We have been on multiple cancelled and changed cruises. And within reason, NCL has reimbursed us for 100% of our expenses (even when it [greatly] exceeds what they put in their written offer). Overnight hotel. Meal expenses. The promised airline change fee on tickets. Fare difference on airline tickets. We submit our receipts, explain why the change in cruise itinerary required the expenditure, and we have always got a check for all of our expenses. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Montanagirlalways said:

Sorry about that. I don't feel it is deceptive, but I can certainly understand your disappointment of missing two ports and the itinerary being shortened. Things happen and schedules change. Hopefully you enjoyed the rest of your cruise and are able to get over the not so good part.

13 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

It is not that dramatic!
You can count us as  your "anyone cruising the ship last week before dry dock" and we were not the least bit disappointed at someone changing a carpet in the hallway while we were out in the port of call towards the end of the cruise! We do not tend to let such things bother us much and enjoy our cruise.

And the HD did not need to do this but all cabins along the hallway got an humble drink voucher that day.

Edited by Arzeena