some 'scuttlebutt'

Stakeout

On 4/22/2019 at 9:40 AM, kazu said:

Don’t bet on it.  I just reported on my LIVE thread that there may well be another Prinsendam 😄.  I think HAL knows they need it 😉 

Will be a couple of years.

As to the small ships, most have been for sale for some time.  Anything is sold if the price is right.  I don’t know who would want the Veendam 😉 

I do hope they'll be a new Prinsendam as the current one is my favourite HAL ship.  And I do prefer their smaller ships.

4 minutes ago, sppunk said:

They have two on order - expedition ships - so all is not lost there lol

Three Odyssey-class ships for 450 pax, two Encore-class ships for 604 pax, and two future Venture-class expedition ships coming in 2021 and 2022. They can easily afford to internally transfer one of the first five (my money is on #4 or #5) to HAL. Several HAL managers (captains on down) have been, are, or will be, assigned to those five ships under the Seabourn name. HAL shares a Seattle main office with Seabourn and their main dude (Seabourn) used to be a HAL vp. We shall see :classic_cool:

5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Three Odyssey-class ships for 450 pax, two Encore-class ships for 604 pax, and two future Venture-class expedition ships coming in 2021 and 2022. They can easily afford to internally transfer one of the first five (my money is on #4 or #5) to HAL. Several HAL managers (captains on down) have been, are, or will be, assigned to those five ships under the Seabourn name. HAL shares a Seattle main office with Seabourn and their main dude (Seabourn) used to be a HAL vp. We shall see :classic_cool:

I agree. They are already mixing officers between the lines, captains going from one line to the other, etc. I was told same with HDs and MDRs is coming shortly. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Cpt. Tim Roberts, ex Prinsendam is already over there..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Cpt. Tim Roberts, ex Prinsendam is already over there..

So is another HAL captain by the name of Joost Eldering. Had the pleasure of working for Capt. Roberts on a south/east-bound Panama Canal transit on Statendam out of San Diego a few years ago. One of the nicest gentlemen plus most capable captains you'll ever meet

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 7:34 AM, Stakeout said:

I think this is for the former Ryndam. The ship's location is shown as Australia,  and the Volendam is not that old. HAL would be crazy to get rid of any R class ship.

31 minutes ago, tkwbear said:

I think this is for the former Ryndam. The ship's location is shown as Australia,  and the Volendam is not that old. HAL would be crazy to get rid of any R class ship.

Definitely not the Volendam.  Wrong capacity and particularly the wrong launch year.  Volendam entered service in 1998.  

On 4/22/2019 at 9:40 AM, kazu said:

Don’t bet on it.  I just reported on my LIVE thread that there may well be another Prinsendam 😄.  I think HAL knows they need it 😉 

Will be a couple of years.

As to the small ships, most have been for sale for some time.  Anything is sold if the price is right.  I don’t know who would want the Veendam 😉 

I was in the Canadian Air Force in Comox British Columbia when the first Prinsendam caught fire and we assisted the US Coast Guard to airlift all passengers and crew off her....and then she sank. It was an amazing joint operation and I think the largest mairtime rescue to date. https://maritimecyprus.com/2016/10/09/flashback-in-history-ms-prinsendam-fire-and-sinking-4-october-1980/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

I was in the Canadian Air Force in Comox British Columbia when the first Prinsendam caught fire and we assisted the US Coast Guard to airlift all passengers and crew off her....and then she sank. It was an amazing joint operation and I think the largest mairtime rescue to date. https://maritimecyprus.com/2016/10/09/flashback-in-history-ms-prinsendam-fire-and-sinking-4-october-1980/

Thank you for that link.  It is interesting that the original Prinsendam came from Seabourn and had multiple issues with fire.  There was some good information in This Link.

Here is a sobering sight:

8D021CE5-C92D-4977-B2E7-D0B4C2552F4C.jpeg

5 minutes ago, FredT said:

Miss G:

The Prinsendam that sank in October of 1980 was purpose built FOR Holland America.  (Seabourn was not founded until 1987)  

Whoops!  Sorry.  Thanks for clarifying, Fred.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Thank you for that link.  It is interesting that the original Prinsendam came from Seabourn and had multiple issues with fire.  There was some good information in This Link.

Here is a sobering sight:

Just a small correction, Miss G.  Prinsendam I never sailed for Seabourn because Seabourn was not around yet (founded in 1987). Prinsendam II, the current one, did sail for Seabourn.

Prinsendam I was built in the Netherlands at De Merwede shipyard at Hardinxveld/Giessendam joining the company in 1973. She sailed her maiden voyage from Rotterdam to Singapore, and then spent a year plus sailing cruises from Indonesia.  Starting in 1975, she initiated summer season Alaska cruises from Vancouver, BC. On her way back to Singapore after her 1980 Alaska season, a fire, fuelled by an oil leak, broke out in her engine room which went out of control, and eventually resulted in her passengers and crew having to abandon ship, winding up in the  greatest sea rescue of all time by the United States Air Force (four HH-3E Jolly Green Giant helos and two HC-130 Hercules aircraft), United States Coast Guard (four HH-3F Pelican helos, two HH-130 Hercules aircraft and the ships USCGC Mellon (WHEC-717), USCGC Boutwell (WHEC-719), USCGC Woodrush (WLB-407), Canadian Forces (two CH-113 Labrador helos, one CP-107 Argus mp aircraft and two CC-115 Buffalo SAR aircraft) and the civilian supertanker Williamsburgh 

Holland America Line - Prinsendam I (sank Gulf of Alaska Oct 1980).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Thanks for your service, Sir!

• Thanks 1

Just read the reprint of the Popular Mechanic article. It truly was a miracle that all were saved.

I was actually on one of the old V ships in Bermuda when this happened. I remember the crew not knowing what the outcome was right away . I also remember my dining steward drawing a picture on a napkin-Bye bye Prisendam.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks for your service, Sir!

It was an amazing operation. Picking people off the lifeboats and transferring them to a tanker and when we were low on fuel, back to the tanker loaded people onboard and headed to shore to refuel.  A real good feel good operation and we never lost a single person. Our CH-113 Labrador (similar to a H-46 but with bigger fuel tanks) were up to the task, as were the Coast Guard helicopters. Everyone was proud of what was accomplished.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

It was an amazing operation. Picking people off the lifeboats and transferring them to a tanker and when we were low on fuel, back to the tanker loaded people onboard and headed to shore to refuel.  A real good feel good operation and we never lost a single person. Our CH-113 Labrador (similar to a H-46 but with bigger fuel tanks) were up to the task, as were the Coast Guard helicopters. Everyone was proud of what was accomplished.

Awesome Job and coordination by the armed forces of two neighboring countries! We might have our differences at times, when it comes to hockey ;), but when the you know what hits the fan, both nations have always been there for one another! Bravo Zulu!

HAL PRDM I rescue October 1980 by CH-113 Labrador CAF 442 Sqn, CFB Comox, BC #2.jpg

HAL PRDM I rescue October 1980 by CH-113 Labrador CAF 442 Sqn, CFB Comox, BC.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, pete_coach said:

I still remember following that story.  You folks did a great job :).  The recent Vikingsky  rescue off of Norway may have been a larger overall rescue operation.  We had two relatives on that Vikingsky cruise and they got their first helicopter ride (and a sling lift) complements of the Norwegian authorities.

Hank

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I still remember following that story.  You folks did a great job :).  The recent Vikingsky  rescue off of Norway may have been a larger overall rescue operation.  We had two relatives on that Vikingsky cruise and they got their first helicopter ride (and a sling lift) complements of the Norwegian authorities.

Hank

That event and rescue brought all the memories flooding back to me.  They did a spectacular job off Norway rescuing over 400 people in bad weather. Kudos to those folks.

Interestingly, CHC Norway, the rescuers, were a Canadian company, Canadian Helicopter Corporation.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but if HAL has, in fact, an ongoing need for a "small" ship why replace The Prinsendam?  Fuel efficiency,  engine issues, sea worthiness, etc?  We did have a rather grim TA on her.