Glory Disappointment

haply

1 hour ago, scoobikins said:

Well, this thread sure sounds disappointing. We sail on her for the first time in October, and also our first trip out of New Orleans. I'm hoping our experience will not mirror those listed here. 

We were on the Glory the end of March and absolutely loved it. The buffet was hit and miss, was cold sometimes and debarkation took longer than what we've experienced before but no issues other than that.

The food and service in the MDR was the best we've had.

• Like 2

We were on Glory last June. The Conquest a couple years prior to that and I liked Glory better. We found them to be very similar experiences as far as crew, ship condition, food & entertainment. Our cruise director aboard Glory, Dustin, was so much better. And I really preferred the Glory's decor over Conquest's.

The reason many of the eateries are only open for lunch is because those crew members move to the MDR and specialty restaurants for dinner. But yeah, it would be nice to have maybe just one more open for dinner.

We experienced an absolutely terrible debarkation a few years ago on Conquest. It was a big nuisance at the time, but it's not like it ruined the cruise. It was at the END of the cruise, we were getting off and going home. We have no reason to let that affect what we thought of the cruise as a whole. Last year on Glory, it wasn't as chaotic, but we did experience the crew not even following their own debark procedures, which could easily cause problems when debarkation ramps up. If they won't follow their own procedures, they're just asking for trouble. There's been a lot of complaints about debarkation recently on this forum. I don't know what it is, but there are many times when Carnival can't seem to get a grasp on it. From what I've seen, they aren't assertive enough with the passengers who aren't listening and aren't following the rules. Carnival makes efforts to streamline embarkation, but seems not to care too much about debarkation.

Kind of surprised to see someone say they've been on almost 30 cruises and are ready to quit sailing on Carnival after having one bad one. No one wants a bad cruise, but those are pretty good odds, in my opinion.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

They changed the debarkation process last year. They would’ve covered the new process in the debarkation briefing and you should’ve had documentation left in your cabin. Not having tags left in my room was the clue for me to read the sheet. The tags were probably out in a high traffic area. On vista it was at the entrance to lido deck. On Dream it was in ocean plaza.

71683A33-0B5A-4CBA-9FEE-30A8E4FED6A8.thumb.jpeg.5f9049b918f06eb549f64127b185cabc.jpeg

They hadn't yet implemented this last year when we went, so next year will be the first time doing it this way. Judging by your photos, I'm guessing they have a limited number of "Early" tags? If we want early, do we need to go get them right away?

13 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

They changed the debarkation process last year. They would’ve covered the new process in the debarkation briefing and you should’ve had documentation left in your cabin. Not having tags left in my room was the clue for me to read the sheet. The tags were probably out in a high traffic area. On vista it was at the entrance to lido deck. On Dream it was in ocean plaza.

Thanks for this! Cruising in less than a month and I was unaware of the specifics of this change. The pictures really helped understand what was going on.

• Like 1

It's been quite a while since I've sailed Glory.  I do remember thinking she was due back then for some TLC, but overall the cruise was enjoyable.  I don't recall any problems with food or staff.  I may have posted a review at the time.  Funny that creaking was mentioned - the worst creaking we ever heard was on our Princess cruise.  I thought the wall between the closet & cabin was going to fall over on me.  Of course, it didn't, but it was just unsettling when trying to get to sleep.

We sail on the Glory in 33 days. This will be my DH and I's 2nd cruise and our kids 1st. I am a believer that a vacation is what you make of it. I am hoping to experience none of these things and if a long line at the buffet is the worst thing then I think we can deal with that. I am just looking forward to a week away from reality and spending time with my family. I can't wait for my kids to experience all the new things a cruise has to offer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisinpips said:

In regards to luggage tags, we had tags left in our cabin, along with the same letter we’ve seen for years. No mention of picking them up anywhere. Maybe they still deliver them to Platinum and Diamond guests though. 

Tags are delivered to priority guests just like in the past. Everyone else has to pick theirs up. Time and place is listed on your debarkation letter. I believe the lowest tag number begins with 5 but  I could be wrong. 😎

People's experiences don't always mean that's how it'll be for everyone else. Me and my gf was on Glory about a year ago and we loved it so much that we're booked for it again this June in the exact same cabin. Bottom line is what one person may see as a deal breaker another may see it as a minor inconvenience compared to the bigger more enjoyable picture

• Like 1

We are on the Glory in 13 days. I guaranty I will have a great time no matter what lines happen. That is because I have a positive outlook and it's always better on vacation.

I read bad reviews of the Elation, but we loved it.

I read bad reviews of the Fantasy but we loved it.

I read bad reviews of the Dream, but we really really loved it.

should I go on?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Loodlow said:

Logged onto cruise critic for the first time in a long time and clicked on this thread first. I shouldn't have...leaving on the Glory in 4 days ....

Don't let it discourage you too much. Everyone's different. We've been on a cruise with my wife's aunt & uncle and will be going on one with them again next year. The one big thing I've taken away from all our conversations about cruising is, we have different tastes in cruising and differing opinions on what makes a good cruise. We know that when they say they didn't like something, it doesn't mean we should avoid it. I think for every negative opinion about a ship or something on a cruise, there's probably going to be just as many positive ones.

• Like 1

wms99,

We will be on the glory in 13 days as well.  We are believe that a vacation is what someone makes of it.  I intend on making this one as relaxing and enjoyable as the last 18 cruises we have been on.  See you onboard.  I will be the one sitting at the bar enjoying the drink package.  lol

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bdaddyiii said:

wms99,

We will be on the glory in 13 days as well.  We are believe that a vacation is what someone makes of it.  I intend on making this one as relaxing and enjoyable as the last 18 cruises we have been on.  See you onboard.  I will be the one sitting at the bar enjoying the drink package.  lol

Absolutely.  Like I said,  the Glory wasn't our favorite,  but we had a ball.

1 hour ago, elcuchio24 said:

She was getting on in years last time we cruised on her...and that must be 6 years ago now 🙂

Glory was just in dry dock late Feb. - early March of 2017. In addition to the new WaterWorks, they did things like routine hotel maintenance and cosmetic enhancements such as new carpeting, wall coverings, tile work, lighting in lounges and public areas. We were on it last year and didn't think it looked anywhere near as worn out as some have described here.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, scoobikins said:

Well, this thread sure sounds disappointing. We sail on her for the first time in October, and also our first trip out of New Orleans. I'm hoping our experience will not mirror those listed here. 

My daughter and her family are on the Glory in February, and trying to convince us to join them. This thread makes me a bit nervous to even think about booking. I have a B2B booked on the Magic for April 2020, just two months after that Glory Cruise.

I was on the Glory in February and we had a great time. My only complaint would be that the hot tubs were more like lukewarm tubs. We travel with friends and our favorite thing to do is sit in the hot tub on Serenity after the first show in the evening.(it was rather windy on the Glory so we switched to the Azure hot tubs after the first night). We had Cookie, who was a fun CD, the weather was great, the ports were wonderful, the staff was friendly and helpful, the Circle C leader actually came and hung out with our kids for a little bit in Grand Turk, and our rooms were great. It was awesome being in the gorgeous 80 degree weather when everyone else back home was shivering in -40 to -50 degree weather. 😄 

Edited by Stacie.

8 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

They hadn't yet implemented this last year when we went, so next year will be the first time doing it this way. Judging by your photos, I'm guessing they have a limited number of "Early" tags? If we want early, do we need to go get them right away?

They hadn’t implemented it when I was on Breeze in March of last year but they had in August on Dream. 

I was late getting mine the first time and I got tag #21. Now I know to go earlier. In December on Dream I grabbed mine in the morning when I got coffee. On vista they didn’t start giving them out until after the debarkation briefing.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:39 AM, haply said:

Just got back from a 4-day cruise out of New Orleans on the Carnival Glory.  I went on the Carnival Liberty two years ago and loved it, but was really disappointed in the Glory.  I cruise about once per year, and go to AI's about once per year also.  The Glory buffet was the worst of any of the cruises or the AI's that I have been to.  Food options were not appealing AT ALL.    There was no wok station.  The lines were always LONG.  Chocolate buffet was limited to an ice cream bar and about 6 topping options during lunch one day.  BBQ place only open during lunch.  Stale bread.  Limited salad bar.  Limited kids food options. What happened to the buffet?!?  The pool area was the most crowded that I have ever experienced.  The Glory took away about 1/3 of the pool deck/seating for the slides and kids water park (not in the back of the ships like some other ships).  We had panoramic ocean view and a grand panoramic ocean view next to each other, and there was such banging, creaking and vibrating all night that we had a hard time sleeping.  I am familiar with extra "rocking" when the seas are rough, but never had the LOUD banging noise coming from the ceiling.  It was always not cool enough in my room or many of the common areas.  I went to pick up my luggage tags on the last evening and was told that I had to carry off my bags as they only handed out luggage tabs until 5:30 PM (new one for me out all of my cruises-I have always had luggage tags left in my room or I could pick them up from guest services any time before the bags go out).  Staff were nice but seemed tired and overwhelmed.   Debarkation was a nightmare.  We were on the "carry-your-own-luggage-off express" group, and did not get off the ship until 9:45 AM.  May have been something going on with customs, bur no explanation from the staff.  Although we enjoyed the entertainment, Alchemy bar and Dr. Seuss brunch, nobody in my party is sailing with Carnival again.

We were on the Glory last October, and never experienced anything like this. I will say that it is our least favorite ship, and we were on the Conquest the year before and loved it! And they are for the most part identical ships. We still had a great time and didn't let the small stuff bother us.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:39 AM, haply said:

Just got back from a 4-day cruise out of New Orleans on the Carnival Glory.  I went on the Carnival Liberty two years ago and loved it, but was really disappointed in the Glory.  I cruise about once per year, and go to AI's about once per year also.  The Glory buffet was the worst of any of the cruises or the AI's that I have been to.  Food options were not appealing AT ALL.    There was no wok station.  The lines were always LONG.  Chocolate buffet was limited to an ice cream bar and about 6 topping options during lunch one day.  BBQ place only open during lunch.  Stale bread.  Limited salad bar.  Limited kids food options. What happened to the buffet?!?  The pool area was the most crowded that I have ever experienced.  The Glory took away about 1/3 of the pool deck/seating for the slides and kids water park (not in the back of the ships like some other ships).  We had panoramic ocean view and a grand panoramic ocean view next to each other, and there was such banging, creaking and vibrating all night that we had a hard time sleeping.  I am familiar with extra "rocking" when the seas are rough, but never had the LOUD banging noise coming from the ceiling.  It was always not cool enough in my room or many of the common areas.  I went to pick up my luggage tags on the last evening and was told that I had to carry off my bags as they only handed out luggage tabs until 5:30 PM (new one for me out all of my cruises-I have always had luggage tags left in my room or I could pick them up from guest services any time before the bags go out).  Staff were nice but seemed tired and overwhelmed.   Debarkation was a nightmare.  We were on the "carry-your-own-luggage-off express" group, and did not get off the ship until 9:45 AM.  May have been something going on with customs, bur no explanation from the staff.  Although we enjoyed the entertainment, Alchemy bar and Dr. Seuss brunch, nobody in my party is sailing with Carnival again.

We were on the Glory last October, and never experienced anything like this. I will say that it is our least favorite ship, and we were on the Conquest the year before and loved it! And they are for the most part identical ships. We still had a great time and didn't let the small stuff bother us.

We are boarding the Glory a week from tomorrow !

I know it's an older ship, so I am expecting not to be highly impressed with the ship itself.

This is my third Carnival cruise, and have never been as impressed with Carnival as I am with other cruise lines.

BUT, it is a vacation, I am taken care of, I don't have to cook or clean, and I'm in the middle of the ocean watching

the world go by.

Like the previous cruiser said, your vacation is what you make of it.

I am going to make My Glory cruise very relaxing and fun.

( Plus, this was a free cruise for sitting through a time-share presentation !) 😃

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Glory was just in dry dock late Feb. - early March of 2017. In addition to the new WaterWorks, they did things like routine hotel maintenance and cosmetic enhancements such as new carpeting, wall coverings, tile work, lighting in lounges and public areas. We were on it last year and didn't think it looked anywhere near as worn out as some have described here.

I think some people just like to complain.  I have read countless negative reviews on this site for cruises I was on at the same time, and my experience was not even close to what was posted here. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1