Glory Disappointment

haply

Just got back from a 4-day cruise out of New Orleans on the Carnival Glory.  I went on the Carnival Liberty two years ago and loved it, but was really disappointed in the Glory.  I cruise about once per year, and go to AI's about once per year also.  The Glory buffet was the worst of any of the cruises or the AI's that I have been to.  Food options were not appealing AT ALL.    There was no wok station.  The lines were always LONG.  Chocolate buffet was limited to an ice cream bar and about 6 topping options during lunch one day.  BBQ place only open during lunch.  Stale bread.  Limited salad bar.  Limited kids food options. What happened to the buffet?!?  The pool area was the most crowded that I have ever experienced.  The Glory took away about 1/3 of the pool deck/seating for the slides and kids water park (not in the back of the ships like some other ships).  We had panoramic ocean view and a grand panoramic ocean view next to each other, and there was such banging, creaking and vibrating all night that we had a hard time sleeping.  I am familiar with extra "rocking" when the seas are rough, but never had the LOUD banging noise coming from the ceiling.  It was always not cool enough in my room or many of the common areas.  I went to pick up my luggage tags on the last evening and was told that I had to carry off my bags as they only handed out luggage tabs until 5:30 PM (new one for me out all of my cruises-I have always had luggage tags left in my room or I could pick them up from guest services any time before the bags go out).  Staff were nice but seemed tired and overwhelmed.   Debarkation was a nightmare.  We were on the "carry-your-own-luggage-off express" group, and did not get off the ship until 9:45 AM.  May have been something going on with customs, bur no explanation from the staff.  Although we enjoyed the entertainment, Alchemy bar and Dr. Seuss brunch, nobody in my party is sailing with Carnival again.

We’ve had that creaking on several ships, including the Liberty when she was brand new. The seas were rough for the first few days and things in the cabin creaked and groaned as if something was about to break. After a few days, we had smooth seas and the creaking stopped completely. 

On our last Carnival cruise (Fantasy), the crew was friendly and helpful, but I also had the feeling that they were exhausted and spread too thin. They all had that look on their faces. 

About crowded pools,  and long lines and less than stellar buffet experience, some of it may have had to do with the freshness and quality of the food (which is why we try to avoid the buffet as much as possible, not only on carnival but on all cruise lines), but a contributor may have been the time of year (spring break, with all berths filled and the ship at max capacity).

You may just need a change. As someone mentioned above, there are other cruise lines out there, and it’s always nice to try something new. From personal experience, when a product stops loosing its appeal, we tend to see it worse than it actually is, and things that may have not bothered us, or weren’t even noticeable before, all of a sudden become more apparent. If that’s the case for you, then that should be your queue to see what else is out there. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, haply said:

I have alternated between the various cruise lines (Norwegian, Royal, Carnival).  This buffet was the worst of any line that I have been on.  

Some buffets are definitely better than others.  I think RCL has the best buffet out of those three lines.

• Like 1

I sailed Glory last year and hated the ship....I loved Liberty.

After my Glory Cruise I’ve decided to jump ship over to Royal as I enjoyed my Allure cruise big time except for the Windjammer ......it was by far the worst food I’ve ever attempted to eat on land or at sea. Luckily there are so many other options ...... Harmony here I come!

Carnival in my opinion is just old and stale and hasn’t kept up with the times .

Edited by Midwestgal
  • Like 1

Glory was one of my favorite cruises for reasons other than the ship.  But I have to agree the pool area was way overcrowded, the buffet was easily the worst I've experienced, and the ship is definitely below par.  Lot of rust, etc.

But again, it was one of my favorite cruises.  Vacation is what you make of it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Sorry you didn’t enjoy your cruise more, but on the bright side there are lots of other cruise lines out there. 

That's a good thing .I made the jump myself but sometimes I have to take one for the team and set foot on a carnival ship.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tapi said:

We’ve had that creaking on several ships, including the Liberty when she was brand new. The seas were rough for the first few days and things in the cabin creaked and groaned as if something was about to break. After a few days, we had smooth seas and the creaking stopped completely. 

On our last Carnival cruise (Fantasy), the crew was friendly and helpful, but I also had the feeling that they were exhausted and spread too thin. They all had that look on their faces. 

About crowded pools,  and long lines and less than stellar buffet experience, some of it may have had to do with the freshness and quality of the food (which is why we try to avoid the buffet as much as possible, not only on carnival but on all cruise lines), but a contributor may have been the time of year (spring break, with all berths filled and the ship at max capacity).

You may just need a change. As someone mentioned above, there are other cruise lines out there, and it’s always nice to try something new. From personal experience, when a product stops loosing its appeal, we tend to see it worse than it actually is, and things that may have not bothered us, or weren’t even noticeable before, all of a sudden become more apparent. If that’s the case for you, then that should be your queue to see what else is out there. 

Good words.

• Like 1

Just got home a few minutes ago from New Orleans after having been on the same cruise.  We had other business in NOLA and decided to see if there was a cruise that fit our timeframe, and sure enough this Glory cruise did. We have only been on less than 7 day cruises twice before, and while not our favorite, we thought we’d give it a try.

Embarkation was earliest and smoothest ever. Left hotel in an Uber at 10:00 am, we were on the ship before 11:00! Embarkation started at 10:45. 

The ship is showing it’s age. Lamp shades broken and bent, curtains were full of holes, cleanliness was lacking everywhere. Just an old worn out ship. 

Drinks were the weakest we’ve ever experienced, no matter what, you were poured your allotted  shot in the glass, unless you didn’t have cheers and you wanted a double for $3 more!

We had a mid ship balcony on deck 11 and when the door was closed at night, you could see light all the way around the perimeter of the door. When anything happened in the hall, it was as if it happened right in the room. 

The buffet lines were horrendous every morning unless you arrived early, which we did, but walking through anytime after around 8:30, the lines went around the corner in front and back. The “bacon police” was the worst part, they acted as if you were stealing when you asked for it, and if you asked for more than the first allotment, you were given “the look”. 

Debarkation was a NIGHTMARE, NO RHYME OR REASON, NO ONE IN CHARGE, people stuck on elevators because of the crowds on deck 3. 

This was our 28th cruise, and by far the worst experience so far. 

NO MORE GLORY FOR US! No more 4-5 days cruise either, we will cruise the Magic in June for the 6th time and if it is as bad, we will seek our entertainment elsewhere. 

• Like 1

They changed the debarkation process last year. They would’ve covered the new process in the debarkation briefing and you should’ve had documentation left in your cabin. Not having tags left in my room was the clue for me to read the sheet. The tags were probably out in a high traffic area. On vista it was at the entrance to lido deck. On Dream it was in ocean plaza.

71683A33-0B5A-4CBA-9FEE-30A8E4FED6A8.thumb.jpeg.5f9049b918f06eb549f64127b185cabc.jpeg0A59940B-6C5D-4B57-8D82-234D616F9694.thumb.jpeg.f4a1e8ff0b59c00eef41873f71d06e2f.jpegF60B9226-E794-4E49-9406-B7EFB6AA10FB.thumb.jpeg.c48ee768fef23a2880c159813dc73180.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cruisinpips said:

Just got home a few minutes ago from New Orleans after having been on the same cruise.  We had other business in NOLA and decided to see if there was a cruise that fit our timeframe, and sure enough this Glory cruise did. We have only been on less than 7 day cruises twice before, and while not our favorite, we thought we’d give it a try.

Embarkation was earliest and smoothest ever. Left hotel in an Uber at 10:00 am, we were on the ship before 11:00! Embarkation started at 10:45. 

The ship is showing it’s age. Lamp shades broken and bent, curtains were full of holes, cleanliness was lacking everywhere. Just an old worn out ship. 

Drinks were the weakest we’ve ever experienced, no matter what, you were poured your allotted  shot in the glass, unless you didn’t have cheers and you wanted a double for $3 more!

We had a mid ship balcony on deck 11 and when the door was closed at night, you could see light all the way around the perimeter of the door. When anything happened in the hall, it was as if it happened right in the room. 

The buffet lines were horrendous every morning unless you arrived early, which we did, but walking through anytime after around 8:30, the lines went around the corner in front and back. The “bacon police” was the worst part, they acted as if you were stealing when you asked for it, and if you asked for more than the first allotment, you were given “the look”. 

Debarkation was a NIGHTMARE, NO RHYME OR REASON, NO ONE IN CHARGE, people stuck on elevators because of the crowds on deck 3. 

This was our 28th cruise, and by far the worst experience so far. 

NO MORE GLORY FOR US! No more 4-5 days cruise either, we will cruise the Magic in June for the 6th time and if it is as bad, we will seek our entertainment elsewhere. 

Here's to Magic in June! It's our "give Carnival another shot" cruise too after Glory. 

I guess I’ll see how bad It is in 125 days. I don’t eat in the buffet so that part won’t be an issue. The water slides aren’t in the back on any of the ships I’ve been on. I think BBQ only being open for lunch is pretty normal. I once didn’t get to debark until 11am on Freedom in Galveston.

Sorry you had a bad cruise. We're sailing on the Glory this fall. We've sailed on her sister Freedom twice and enjoyed it. A cruise is what you make it, and as long as we have Guy's, sea day brunch, good bartenders, and a good PBE, we're happy. Who was your cruise director?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, scoobikins said:

Well, this thread sure sounds disappointing. We sail on her for the first time in October, and also our first trip out of New Orleans. I'm hoping our experience will not mirror those listed here. 

I wouldn’t let it discourage you. I’ve seen people on here complain about every ship I’ve been on. I haven’t had a bad cruise yet. The closest I’ve had the week my neighbors had kids crying, screaming, and banging things all week.

• Like 3

I will be sailing on the Glory in November for a 7 day.

DW and I usually don't eat from the buffet. We prefer freshly made food and will do a sit down breakfast in the  Dining Room and Deli/Burger/Burrito for lunch. 

Dinner is always in the Dining Room.

We are looking forward to going back to Jamaica and Grand Cayman...haven't been there for a while.

• Like 1