Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

30 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Mardi Gras was virtually delivered yesterday:

Carnival Cruise Line Takes Delivery Of Mardi Gras | Markets Insider (businessinsider.com)

She'll be out of the way by the end of the month, but not sure we'll get any better looks at any Icon parts. 

I've been keeping an eye out for them.

I asked a photographer who uses a handheld camera and a drone to get photos of the ships at the yard (and the ship pieces arriving there*) about seeing anything.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI8d6sjHTom/?igshid=1teuphlfr3gvg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI9RNjxHHOK/?igshid=yhwi9rvzcoax 

* some of his photos are in this thread

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Yeah the Order Book also shows Icon for Q2 but I thought I saw something about 2023 which seems way out.

Meyer Turku has had delays with these new LNG ships; that combined with the COVID delays will likely mean a schedule slip, we just don't know for how long.

• 4 weeks later...

From Royal Caribbean blog.

Royal Caribbean trademarks 15 names for possible cruise ship venues

By: Matt Hochberg

Royal Caribbean has started off 2021 getting busy at the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

Royal Caribbean Group filed 15 different trademark registrations with the PTO for names that sound like they might be used for cruise ship venue names.

Trademark registrations are notoriously vague, and rarely give much insight into what they may be used for onboard a cruise ship, but it can sometimes tip Royal Caribbean's hand in what they have planned.

All of these trademarks were filed on January 11, 2021.

Go Green

Filed under: Cruise ship services

Absolute Zero

AquaDome

Filed under: Cruise ship services; Restaurant and bar services

Challenger's

Roosevelt's Table

Royal Dueling Pianos

Royal Suite Club

Cloud 17

Filed under: Cruise ship services; Providing recreational facilities in the nature of an adults-only pool area onboard a cruise ship

Lou's Jazz Club

Playaway Park

Surfside

The Overlook

The Lemon Post

Filed under: Bar services

The Yard

Salty Sip

Why do these trademarks matter?

https://www.*****.com/sites/default/files/one-time-use/allure-of-the-seas-sundeck.jpg

If you are curious what might be next for Royal Caribbean, trademark filings are a good hint of what the cruise line may be thinking.

While a lot of trademarks get filed but never used, some do end up being the names of new venues, services or even cruise ships.

It can be argued that a trademark is filed when an idea reaches a point that there is a tangible chance the project may become a reality.  

Reading the trademarks rarely provide much insight into what the cruise line has planned, but these are important first steps for something new to become a reality.

Anyone looking at these registrations should remember that they are filed on behalf of the Royal Caribbean Group, which means these registrations could be intended for a sister cruise line brand, and not necessarily Royal Caribbean International.

With new cruise ships under construction, and other projects around the world in various stages of development, there is always a chance the dreamers at Royal Caribbean are ready to move from concept to reality, and locking in a name is part of that process.

What's your prediction?

Now is your chance to show us how much you (think you) know! Share your predictions what these trademarks will be used for on a cruise ship or private island in the future!

55 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Costa Toscana was floated out yesterday which should make room for the start of assembly of Icon.

CRUISE_Costa_Toscana_float_out.jpg

Carnival Celebration is the now next build rather than the first Icon-class ship.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Construction-gets-underway-for-Carnival-Celebration

Edited by Lloyd555

Anyone in Turku with access to the shipyard. 
Head over there now and push the Icon's keel sections in the basin behind the Costa cruise ship!

First come, first serve! Carnival Celebration will just have to wait. 😜

📷 @finki.22

20210116_195631.thumb.jpg.746b9501fa0bf40b477298db51a187c8.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Joakim Kajan for sharing this article in the FB group. 

https://www.talouselama.fi/uutiset/nyt-tuli-paatille-hintaa-turun-telakan-icon-risteilijat-ovat-kalleimmat-koskaan-suomessa-rakennetut/0845b4c7-b8e3-3db1-aeda-065fcad95833

Now there is a price for the boat: Turku Shipyard's Icon cruisers are the most expensive ever built in Finland 5.1.201811: 15METAL INDUSTRY

Royal Caribbean Cruises took out a giant billion-dollar loan for Icon ships. The price of new ships is raised by at least one specialty.

Meyer's Turku shipyard did it again. In the autumn of 2016, Turku Shipyard responded to the challenge posed by Royal Caribbean Cruises (RCL), the world's second largest cruise line, and entered into an agreement to build two icon-cruise ships, Icon ships, with a gross tonnage of approximately 200,000 tonnes.

It was then estimated that the price of cruisers would rise to an estimated total of € 2 billion, meaning that each ship would cost a billion euros a piece. Its better Meyer than not RCL did not disclose the price of the contract. In December, the price was revealed.

Due to the Icon ships, RCL took out a huge loan of almost $ 3 billion, or € 2.5 billion, from a syndicate led by German KfW IPEX-Bank.

The lending arrangements also include France's BNP Paribas, Britain's HSBC, Germany's Commerzbank, Bayern LB and DZ Bank, Spain's Santander and BBVA, the US's JPMorgan and Japan's SMBC.

The unit price of the Icon ship will thus be EUR 1.25 billion, or almost $ 1.5 billion. The cruisers will be delivered to the customer in 2022 and 2024. The world's largest Oasis-class cruisers built in Turku at the time cost about 900 million euros each.

The price of new ships is raised by at least one specialty that no other cruise company has tried before. Ships are equipped with a fuel cell system that acts as an energy source when the ship is not in motion, ie in ports.

Fuel cells have become familiar in recent years, mainly from Toyota's Mirai hydrogen truck, but hydrogen-powered buses have also been tested in Switzerland.

At the time of the order, it was emphasized from the Meyer shipyard in Turku that fuels other than hydrogen can be used in the fuel cell system. For example, liquefied natural gas (LNG) and ordinary diesel, methane and various other substances are available. Pure hydrogen is just one option.

Royal Caribbean is testing fuel cell technology even before the completion of the Turku Icon ships.

The tests began last year on the current and the world's largest Oasis-class cruisers, two of which were built in Turku. In addition, fuel cell projects are being carried out for Quantum-class cruisers at Meyer’s Papenburg shipyard.

ABB said last November that the fuel cell system developed by the company will be piloted on a shipping company cruise line. The company did not specify whether the system would be taken for testing to existing Oasis cruisers or to cruisers under construction in Papenburg.

Edited by Lloyd555

On 3/17/2021 at 4:41 AM, Lloyd555 said:

The unit price of the Icon ship will thus be EUR 1.25 billion, or almost $ 1.5 billion. The cruisers will be delivered to the customer in 2022 and 2024. The world's largest Oasis-class cruisers built in Turku at the time cost about 900 million euros each.

Besides being expensive, I thought there was a post earlier on the board that indicated that the delivery of the first Icon Class will be in Q3 2023 due to impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic.  Is this an older article or is that earlier statement no longer accurate?

I was really encouraged to have seen some posts here showing some of the blocks being delivered. Have there been more delivered since and is there any updated progress? Enquiring minds want to know 😃

16 minutes ago, Overtyme said:

I thought there was a post earlier on the board that indicated that the delivery of the first Icon Class will be in Q3 2023 due to impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic.  Is this an older article or is that earlier statement no longer accurate?

It is Q3 2023 according to the year end 10K that RCG filed with the SEC

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 hour ago, Overtyme said:

I was really encouraged to have seen some posts here showing some of the blocks being delivered. Have there been more delivered since and is there any updated progress? Enquiring minds want to know 😃

I contacted a photographer in Turku who manages to photograph ingoing and outgoing ships and ship sections, and asked him. BTW, he has some drone images of the ship yard. I told him that he'll be hearing more from me during the Icon build. 😁

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Amazing first views on first blocks of the upcoming new giant RoyalCaribbean cruise ship.
On May 20th 2021 new blocks for the FERU (floating engine room unit) of the first ICON class ship arrived at NEPTUN WERFT shipyard in Rostock (Germany). The new giant ICON class cruise ships are built by the MEYER TURKU shipyard in Turku (Finland) for the cruise line Royal Caribbean International. Neptun Werft in Rostock builds the large floating engine room units for the ICON class cruise ships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Inselvideo told me to pay close attention to the video description for his video...

Finally, after one year production break, the Icon class project for Royal Caribbean International is now back on track. With over 245.500 GT and a length of 365 m, the Icon Class will be the largest cruise ships ever built. This next generation of cruise ships is powered by LNG. 

• Like 1

Hmmm....not sure I would trust that number, don't think RCI would repeatedly keep having the 5K passenger number in their SEC filing and I don't see that much space per passenger being possible. 

Edited by Biker19

Just now, Biker19 said:

Hmmm....not sure I would trust that number, don't think RCI would repeatedly keep having the 200K GT number in their SEC filing. 

I wish we could confirm the specs.

The only other info I received is that the Icon of the Seas will be a really very unusual ship.

• Like 1