Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

1 hour ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

I think you are right. Cruise Industry New has 204,000 and Seatrade Insider has 205,700.

Those are the numbers I've seen as well, and it fits with the "around" 200,000 GT number that has been floating around for a while.

Given the variations, I'm curious if any of our experts here know at what point different design features are firmed up.  I assume that certain design choices may not be finalized until after construction is already underway, but other factors (ship stability, long lead time items) would dictate other design parameters need to be frozen much earlier in the process.  It would be interesting to learn more about that process.

19 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

I can't imagine what a 250,000GT cruise ship would look like. That is massive. 😮

Might look not much different than Oasis class ships.  If they enclose the Boardwalk and Central Park, they will gain a significant amount of GT without changing the outside dimensions of the ship.

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Boy, they had to be in really close quarters.

Could you imagine?  Externally her dimensions approach Voyager class but ships didn't have the same internal volume in those days.  Just stayed on her two nights ago.  Beautiful old ship.  Fast too, faster than any cruise ship this size sailing today.

That passenger count won't be broken for a very long time.

Edited by twangster

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Might look not much different than Oasis class ships.  If they enclose the Boardwalk and Central Park, they will gain a significant amount of GT without changing the outside dimensions of the ship.

I just can't picture anything longer or wider than Oasis.

23 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Those occupancy numbers of 5600 line up with the postings from the shipyard having her GRT at around 230,000.  Seems comparable to OA class but size could actually be quite different without an open Central Park or Boardwalk.

My masseuse the other day said Icon will hold 10,000 pax

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I foresee the Icon numbers to be pretty close to the MSC Europa numbers, except the total passenger count:

MSC Europe Stats:

• Ship name: MSC Europa
  • Ship class: World Class
  • Delivery date: May 2022
  • Gross tonnage: 205,700
  • Lower berth capacity: 5,264
  • Total number of guests: 6,761 (5,264 based on double occupancy)
  • Crew members: 2,139
  • Number of staterooms: 2,632
  • Length / Beam / Height: 1,094 ft. / 154 ft. / 223 ft.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:37 PM, Overtyme said:

Going back to several screenshots and posts.  Our good friend Lloyd posted this screenshot from the shipyard which shows that GT will be around 232 GT.  I wouldn't go by any other numbers (205...250).

image.png.9b1e578c5931fc47b48c18c9e44b9954.png

Wasn't Icon supposed to be in between Quantum and Oasis Class? Now it looks like Icon will be the new biggest ship in the world if that's the case

22 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Seems like Icon Class may now just be a modified Oasis class burning LNG with some other changes.  pax and tonnage also support that.

Isn't that basically Wonder of the seas minus the LNG element?

22 hours ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:
Seems like Nick Weir just confirmed that there will be Aquatheaters on Icon Class. 

What am I missing?  Where did Nick Weir say Icon will have an AquaTheater? 

He hosted some architects on a ship so they could see some RC entertainment.  That's hardly saying that Icon will have an AquaTheater.  Did I miss something?

5 hours ago, twangster said:

What am I missing?  Where did Nick Weir say Icon will have an AquaTheater? 

He hosted some architects on a ship so they could see some RC entertainment.  That's hardly saying that Icon will have an AquaTheater.  Did I miss something?

I read it as the architects and designers of Aquatheaters, for Icon Class. It could also be said that he was just referring to the designers of Icon Class, in addition to Aquatheater architects. Why don’t you ask Nick what he meant. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure if Meyer will figure things out by the time Icon is supposed to be delivered but their work on the last two LNG ships is not promising:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/mardi-gras-delivery-delayed-august-late-october

For anyone complaining about lack of itineraries being divulged soon, the above could be a very good reason why.

34 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not sure if Meyer will figure things out by the time Icon is supposed to be delivered but their work on the last two LNG ships is not promising:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/mardi-gras-delivery-delayed-august-late-october

For anyone complaining about lack of itineraries being divulged soon, the above could be a very good reason why.

I wonder much was self-induced with change orders or new technology deployments beyond the LNG power plant.