Stugeron tablets

rockchk31

Hi, question for Stugeron users...do you take your first 2 tablets 2 hours before you get on the ship or 2 hours before the ship is due to sail?? Leaving tomorrow on Azura and seems it could be a little rough with this stormy weather

If I know in advance that the seas are likely to be rough then I'd probably take them before the ship sails.  In the past when we've been warned by the Captain that it may get choppy we've taken Stugeron then and again before we went to bed.  On one occasion I woke up in the night and could feel a lot of movement so took another tablet.  In the morning if it's still rough we'll take one before getting up.  On our 65 night round South American a year ago January we had it rough from leaving Southampton until we got to Madeira and Stugeron worked well, neither of us felt ill at all.  Stugeron certainly works for us.

Personally I take the tablets when I feel I need them as they make me very sleepy.  Last year crossing the Atlantic to Iceland if was quite choppy and I felt queasy. Took tablets and laid on the bed reading.  Next thing i knew after 2 hours had past, I woke feeling fine and made dinner in the evening.

2 hours before sailing if it looks as though it's going to be choppy - or as soon as I feel there's increasing movement.  Strong winds when in port is likely to give rise to a choppy seas so I would take a pill in advance in that case. Every 8 hours after that if necessary.  We had a couple of pretty bumpy nights on Oriana in and out of the Med on it's last cruise and were ok with Stugeron.  Happy sailing!

I take mine at least an hour before any form of transport! On a cruise, however, have found if I take one before embarking that’s fine as it seems to acclimatise me to any movement and that’s it. On our first cruise the Captain always announced if choppiness was forecast so I took another then. I’m lucky they don’t make me drowsy as some used to.  I have been taking them for years before they even became available over the counter as they used to be on prescription. Prevention is definitely the road to go down! Stugeron are always in my handbag.

I take one when I board, then one before going to bed and a final one the next morning. I didn’t need any more for the rest of the cruise. As others have said prevention is better than cure.

Les.

Thanks everyone. Think I will take one Just before we board and then one later in the evening and take it from there. Feeling really anxious about it this evening so fingers crossed all will be fine tomorrow. Just out of interest do any of you have a drink whilst on these, I see it says to avoid alcohol as it makes you drowsy but I have seen a lot of people say they still drink on them.

Its a drug which you have to take to get it in your system and then keep topped up, hence the advice to take two first, then single doses to maintain effectiveness.

Follow the instructions rather than self medicate.

On a very rough crossing on a very small, but fast jet ferry to Guernsey our group of 5 were the only ones, apart from crew, not to be ill after taking two tablets two hours before sailing.

My partner takes two in the morning before we embark then one before she goes to bed every night, we sailed through a force 9 gale last year and she was perfectly fine, even though she suffers badly from travel sickness (cant even travel in the back of a car or on a coach).

As has been stated its vitally important to get the medication into your system to prevent the onset of sickness, you cant react to it once it sets in.

She also wears the pressure point wristbands as well, I'd also add that she drinks perfectly fine on the tablets and she suffers no side effects that others seem too.

47 minutes ago, Canberra forever ! said:

I’m sailing on Azura today too and just checked the port departures and Azura is now not leaving until 21.30, looks like they’re waiting until the worst of the storm has passed ....very relieved 😅  but will still take my stugeron !!

Yes I saw the delayed departure and to be honest was quite relieved..I suppose it is because we also have the luxury of a sea day tomorrow so no rush to get anywhere! Will take my 2 tablets about 12.00 so they kick in. See you onboard!!

46 minutes ago, ozzysdad said:

My partner takes two in the morning before we embark then one before she goes to bed every night, we sailed through a force 9 gale last year and she was perfectly fine, even though she suffers badly from travel sickness (cant even travel in the back of a car or on a coach).

As has been stated its vitally important to get the medication into your system to prevent the onset of sickness, you cant react to it once it sets in.

She also wears the pressure point wristbands as well, I'd also add that she drinks perfectly fine on the tablets and she suffers no side effects that others seem too.

Just what I was hoping to hear...I will take it easy today and see how I go...definitely need a cheeky glass of Prosecco when I embark! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Flowerpower22 said:

Stugeron doesn't work for me, but Avomine does (from Superdrug).  I take it before I start to feel any motion if the weather forecast looks dodgy.  I don't avoid alcohol with it: vodka helps in rough seas!

Avomine works better for us too, hubby was advised by the GP to take it if needed because it would not react with his regular medication.  The only time I forgot to pack them I asked at reception for seasickness medication and they sold a pack of Avomine to me for less than I have paid in Boots.

Edited by Josy1953

Never taken Avomine but a similar tablet called Dramamine would render me unconscious very quickly!  Thankfully I was prescribed Stugeron (before you could buy it across the counter) which don't make me at all sleepy. The important thing is to take them as prescribed and not five minutes before travelling!