Med Cruise

Good Morning folks. My wife and I are seasoned cruisers but we have always sailed from Miami or Ft Lauderdale. We have not ventured to Europe and are looking at a cruise leaving Venice on June 15th and terminating in Rome on June 27, 2020. Frankly, we are a bit overwhelmed but love the itinerary. What we are concerned about is getting from place to place pre and post cruise. We want to spend two nights in Venice pre cruise and two nights in Rome post cruise, but we don’t really understand the process. We have contacted our HAL PCC but I am waiting on a response. Is it worthwhile to book pre and post stays on my own, or go through HAL? Same question regarding airfare?

We just don’t know the ins and outs of getting this all together. I’m sure some of you folks may have some helpful advice. Thank you very much!

We did the 12 day from Rome to Venice last October. Flew into Rome on the day of the cruise because our AA flight arrived at 9:30 am local and took the HAL transfer to the port. We had such a great time visiting the Greek islands, so much history and sights. After the cruise, we stayed 2 days in Venice and then took the High Speed train to Rome and stayed 4 days there. It was easier for us to fly in and out of Rome from California. I did all the planning myself, stayed in Marriott related hotels and ate with the locals.

I believe that you will not be disappointed, we weren't. Just be prepared to climb A LOT of stairs and steps.

Hope this helps

Lately it has been worth it to book the air through HAL. I would book the hotels on my own. Visit the Ports of Call Board on here, Europe......ITALY.... you will find a wealth of info regarding hotels, how to get around, etc. It has been a lifesaver for me....I would be lost without these boards! Have a great trip....we are doing Venice to Rome this July!

Getting into Venice early is a smart thing. It is far and away one of the places to check off your bucket list. Getting off the train at the Santa Lucia train station and stepping out to see the Grand Canal is one of the worlds great sites.

You can book a hotel in Venice proper or for a lot less, in Mestre, on the mainland. Mestre hotels are more modern, cheaper and only a 2 Euro, 10 minute (train or bus) ride out to Venice. We have stayed at the Best Western Bologna, right across form the train station. Great place. Venice hotels are older, much more expensive but, you are in the lagoon and right there.

Rome, well, it is about a 60 euro ride from the dock into Rome. There are many places to stay but I highly recommend that you stay in the center of the old city. That way you can walk ot most of the important sites. Our favorite hotel is in Hotel Campo de Fiori. Great location, the piazza is a market by day and a restaurant filled area by night. https://www.hotelcampodefiori.com/en/  

Someplace around Piazza Navonna would also be a nice area to stay.

• Like 1

Oh My!  Why on earth ask a PCC (who has likely never been out of their little cubicle) about travel in Europe.  Start right here to CC and start reading on the Ports of Call Board for Italy (and the other countries you will visit).  If you have any questions there  are quite a few of us who can answer (with any level of detail) and give you advice on hotels, transportation, restaurants, etc.

As to the process, it obviously starts with your air.  Two or three nights pre-cruise in Venice is a great idea as is several days in Rome...or elsewhere in Italy.  HAL often has some pretty good air deals but you should price out round trip air on HAL versus doing it on your own via a booking engine such as Orbitz, Expedia, etc.  For those long flights it is worthwhile to consider Business Class or Premium Economy...if comfort is an issue and it fits your budget.   Also keep in mind that Rome is about 1 1/2 hours drive from its port at Civitavecchia...but arranging for transfers is quite easy.

When it comes to booking pre and/or post cruise hotels I am not a big fan of HAL's packages.  The cruise lines do make it sound easy, but the cost of their pre and post cruise packages is often around twice the cost of booking similar hotels and transfers on your own.  The language barrier is not a big deal in places like Venice and Rome where English is widely accommodated.

I will also give a personal recommendation for the "Rick Steves" guide books...which are the best for those doing things on their own.   His books give you a lot of detail on local transportation options, walking tours, etc.  

Hank

• Like 1

The cruise lines offer pre- (and sometimes post-) cruise packages, but it is a far better deal to book them yourselves for two main reasons.

One, for the hotels, you will pay about double the cost of booking a room on your own. 'Nuff said.

Two, the hotels used by the cruise lines are usually those adapted to larger tours (e.g., places for buses to drop-off and pick-up, standardized rooms, etc.) and because of that they are often NOT in the most central locations. Granted, Venice is a bit different because of the transportation difficulties, but for Rome all the hotels I've seen used by the cruise lines are not in the areas I would most recommend. I cannot overstate the importance of this. If you are on the fringes of the city, you are totally dependent on the cruise-line offered tours (or other pre-booked tours) to get around. If you are in the center, you can walk around and experience the city on your own, a totally different experience.

One final word -- I would not recommend staying in Mestre unless your budget is extremely constrained. Staying IN Venice is a true joy and allows you to experience the island later in the evening and early in the morning before the hordes of tourists descend...

Do come and post (or just read) on the Italy forum here. There are several dedicated folks with a lot of experience traveling (or living) in Italy who are happy to answer questions and give more specific advice.

• Like 1

Depending on ability level, we stayed at the Augusta Lucilla Palace in Rome. It was a short walk to the train station and they included a good breakfast with the rate. From there we walked to the Colosseum and the Trevi Fountain.  I'd suggest you narrow down the sites that are must see for you in Rome when selecting which area you stay in.

We did this cruise with our family and hoe you enjoy it as much as we did. If you are flying into Venice, consider taking a launch form the airport into Venice particularly if you have a reservation at a hotel on one of the lagoons. There is nothing better than docking next to your hotel, if it is your first trip there. We stayed at the Agua Palace and enjoyed it immensely as it was 5 minute walk to the square and 3 minute walk  to the Rialto bridge. The cruise ship is well away from the hotels and some form of transportation will be needed to get to the terminal. Wherever you stay, the hotel concierge will be able to help you. There are loads of off the beaten path restaurant for your enjoyment. Trip advisor is a great resource for reasonable tours. We returned to Rome after Citiveccia with a private car arranged through Viator which was reasonable and convenient as it brought us to our hotel near the Spanish Steps. If you intend to tour Rome on a small group tour, consider Livitaly who provides tours for groups of no more than 6, Starting with the Vatican, an hour earlier than is open to the public. It was a little pricey but for a full day tour with a guide who had both a doctorate in Archaelogy and Art History, we believed it to be well worth while. Enjoy!

If you plan to stay in Venice prior to your cruise, check cruisecal dot com and see how many ships will be in Venice port on your day of departure.  We cruised on the Westerdam from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale in October 2017.  There were 6 huge ships in port on our Saturday departure.   We booked a Venice hotel 6 months out before our arrival, staying 4 nights.   Most hotels were heavily booked that early.   When you have 30,000 people all boarding a ship on the same day, and maybe 50% of them want to spend a few nights in Venice, hotels will be expensive and in short supply.   Book early and pick a place along the Grand Canal or Giudecca Canal.   Forget using HAL's hotels and transfers.  You will spend half of what your cruise probably cost for a few nights in a hotel, because even though the hotel charges by the room, HAL charges you per person.  So you will pay double for a hotel using HAL's pre-cruise hotels, and, as other have said, you will be in a bad location.

When you arrive at Marco Polo airport, the fun way to get to your hotel is a private water taxi.  It will cost around 120 Euros for the whole boat (4 passengers) but they will drop you right at the dock of your hotel.   Your hotel will arrange it for you,  just tell them you want a private (not shared) water taxi from the airport to the hotel.  Bring Euros with you or use credit cards, you pay at the water taxi desk in the airport. 

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The...

..... 'Nuff said.

One final word -- I would not recommend staying in Mestre unless your budget is extremely constrained. Staying IN Venice is a true joy and allows you to experience the island later in the evening and early in the morning before the hordes of tourists descend...

I agree that staying in Venice proper had advantages but evenings can still be enjoyed and there is not much in the mornings except for the market (Campo San Barnaba or Rialto market). 

I would like to add, if deciding to stay in Venice proper, be aware that the streets are all cobblestone with many bridges (Venice is actually 118 islands connected by little footpath bridges) and there are no vehicles there. Getting to the hotels can be very expensive if you have to take a water taxi. The vaporetto (water bus) can get you near but, dragging baggage is a real chore. I have seen many people struggle and even damage their luggage in Venice.

I mention Mestre just because of the cost and convince. From hotel in Mestre to dock can all be in a vehicle taxi. From hotel in Venice to dock is combination of walking, water bus, more walking or a walk and then an expensive water taxi (50 euros+).

We have been to Venice and Rome a number of times and just passing on some experience.

Edited by pete_coach
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

I would like to add, if deciding to stay in Venice proper, be aware that the streets are all cobblestone with many bridges (Venice is actually 118 islands connected by little footpath bridges) and there are no vehicles there. Getting to the hotels can be very expensive if you have to take a water taxi. The vaporetto (water bus) can get you near but, dragging baggage is a real chore. I have seen many people struggle and even damage their luggage in Venice.

I mention Mestre just because of the cost and convince. From hotel in Mestre to dock can all be in a vehicle taxi. From hotel in Venice to dock is combination of walking, water bus, more walking or a walk and then an expensive water taxi (50 euros+).

While getting around Venice isn't easy, if one does the research it IS possible to make it fairly pain free. It's a bit misleading to suggest the only option if staying in Venice is an expensive water taxi or a lot of walking....

We stayed in a hotel fronting the Grand Canal with a vaporetto stop and an Allilaguna stop literally less than 30 yards from the front door of our hotel. We took the Allilaguna direct from the airport (they are geared for travelers with luggage) to our hotel, and one can also take the Allilaguna from the hotel direct to the Marittima port. No need to use the People Mover, cross bridges with luggage, or use an expensive water taxi. (Allilaguna is sort of like an express bus service that runs from several points in Venice such as the airport, port, etc. with limited service to points within Venice.)

And the hotel was well placed between Rialto and St. Mark's -- we could walk to either one easily, or alternatively pick up the vaporetto a few yards from hotel entrance to get around Venice.  And housed in a beautiful renovated palazzo. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

While getting around Venice isn't easy, if one does the research it IS possible to make it fairly pain free. It's a bit misleading to suggest the only option if staying in Venice is an expensive water taxi or a lot of walking....

We stayed in a hotel fronting the Grand Canal with a vaporetto stop and an Allilaguna stop literally less than 30 yards from the front door of our hotel. We took the Allilaguna direct from the airport (they are geared for travelers with luggage) to our hotel, and one can also take the Allilaguna from the hotel direct to the Marittima port. No need to use the People Mover, cross bridges with luggage, or use an expensive water taxi. (Allilaguna is sort of like an express bus service that runs from several points in Venice such as the airport, port, etc. with limited service to points within Venice.)

And the hotel was well placed between Rialto and St. Mark's -- we could walk to either one easily, or alternatively pick up the vaporetto a few yards from hotel entrance to get around Venice.  And housed in a beautiful renovated palazzo. 

Do you recall the name of the hotel where you stayed? Thanks

55 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yup, all I was doing is providing information and alternatives. I never once insinuated  the "only option if staying in Venice is an expensive water taxi or a lot of walking...." but that it is what what is there.

If you choose a hotel you can certainly lessen your walking (those on the canal are quite a bit more) and if you wish to take the aliaguana, it costs a bit more too. https://www.alilaguna.it/en/tickets1/fares.

Just offering other solutions.

26 minutes ago, Cruzin with BQ & CQ said:

Do you recall the name of the hotel where you stayed? Thanks

It's the Sina Palazzo Sant' Angelo -- we had a lovely stay of four nights. Breakfast is included. Hotel staff were lovely and recommended a couple of good nearby restaurants.  We lessened the cost somewhat by opting for rooms not fronting on the canal. 

Sina is a good Italian hotel chain. Sant' Angelo is the name of the vaporetto/Allilaguna stop that is only steps away. The website gives a good idea of the place:  https://www.sinahotels.com/en/h/sina-palazzo-santangelo-venice/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

From Trivago for end June per night

Best Western Hotel Bologna Mestre = about $190

Sina Palazzo Sant' Angelo = about $900

You appear to be looking at June 2019 dates. The Sina Palace is a small-ish hotel and very desirable so the lower-priced rooms for June 2019 are already booked. On the Sina website, it shows those rooms which are available as "Junior Suites" and "Deluxe Suites". Hence the high price tag.

On the other hand, if you drop in a date for June 2020, when the OP is actually going, the rate for a classic room is as low as 284 euro (prepaid) or 340 (fully flexible).

Edited by cruisemom42

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You appear to be looking at June 2019 dates. The Sina Palace is a small-ish hotel and very desirable so the lower-priced rooms for June 2019 are already booked. On the Sina website, it shows those rooms which are available as "Junior Suites" and "Deluxe Suites". Hence the high price tag.

On the other hand, if you drop in a date for June 2020, when the OP is actually going, the rate for a classic room is as low as 284 euro (prepaid) or 340 (fully flexible).

OK, the point was, the hotels in Venice are much more expensive but, as I said, you wake up in Venice.

From hotels.com for end June per night

Best Western Hotel Bologna Mestre = about $110

From hotel website

Sina Palazzo Sant' Angelo (no breakfast)= about $388

• Thanks 1

For a less expensive Venice option, consider a B&B either through airbnb or a booking site. Both give you access to reviews. We were very pleased with our reasonably priced room at a B&B. It was about a 5 minute walk to the nearest vaporetto stop and 10 minutes to the Rialto Bridge. It was a few years ago and I don't have the name of the B&B to pass on. The owner gave us a list of and a map to restaurants with excellent food and reasonable prices, not tourist spots. We had a similar experience booking a B&B directly with the owner in Rome.  

We stayed in La Calcina, a great hotel right on the Giudecca Canal.  It was 290 Euros a night booked 6 months in advance.   We paid when we checked out of the hotel.  We used the private water taxi service for 120 Euros split among 4 people to go directly from the dock at the airport to the dock at the hotel.  No luggage dragging over cobblestone walkways.  When we arrived, the hotel staff met our boat and took our luggage to our rooms.  We were right in the heart of Venice.  Easy walking to St. Mark's Square.  And we also purchased a 2-day Vaperetto pass, which would take us all over Venice, plus Murano and Burano for one fee.   When Saturday came, we hired a private water taxi to take us to the cruise port.   No luggage dragging.

If you are flying 9 plus hours to go to Venice, why miss seeing the beauty of that city by staying miles away on the mainland ?   

We did this cruise last year.  Five days before in Venice (first time visit) and three in Rome (second visit).  We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Maestre and it was very nice.  (Great little mom & pop restaraung next door.)  Lots of cruisers arriving and departing.  Easy taxi ride from airport and to the pier.  In Venice we used Nadia Danesin (Friend in Venice) and in Rome - Eyes of Rome.  Both were fantastic.  Travel from Civiteveccia to Rome and Rome to FCO were by Rome Cabs (impeccable service - driver waiting for us in the terminal when we got off and at the hotel when we got off the elevator 15 minutes before schedule).  

You cannot beat the magical experience of staying in Venice at night after the day trippers leave. I also suggest staying around campo do fiori in Rome.  We stayed once in a nice hotel near the train station but the area was a bit grotty and we did not like to walk there at night.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We spent five days in Rome last fall prior to a lengthy Med cruise (really, a series of cruises). We stayed in an AirBnB way out of the town center.  It was far cheaper than a motel would have been in the US.  I think about $35/night, IIRC.  Anyway, we used the Green Line of the subway to get into town - no tourists on that line except us - and back every day and it was easy and quick and cheap and super.  We bought a one week subway/bus pass and then left the passes with our host when we departed - for the next guests to use up.

We went to and from town at all hours (including one night when we didn't get "home" until nearly midnight. We never felt unsafe or anything, and the locals couldn't have been nicer to us.  The really good experience was being well outside the tourist area for part of the day.  There was a wonderful little gelato place around the corner from us and they were cheap, cheap, cheap, so we had gelato every evening.