Can you please help me?

Hi all, I've never  used these boards, actually I have never cruised.  My parents are scheduled to cruise on the Carnival Magic on 5/11/19 (next week) from Florida.  My sister's husband has battled brain cancer the past year and just lost his battle.  My sister has been the primary caregiver for him as he went through every form of treatment possible and eventually lost the ability to move and then swallow.  Long story short, we are trying to see if we could send my sister with my parents to have some chance to get away.  My parents room apparently only has room for 2 and Carnival put them on a waitlist to either upgrade to a larger room or to get my sister her own room as the cruise is currently already full.  Is there anything else that we might try to get my sister either a room or to upgrade my parents room?  Thank you all in advance for your kindness helping us.

Sincerely,

Shaun

Edited by smstewart_9554

7 minutes ago, smstewart_9554 said:

My sister's husband has battled brain cancer the past year and just lost his battle.

I am so sorry to hear that! I understand that your poor sister needs a vacation after all of that!

8 minutes ago, smstewart_9554 said:

Is there anything else that we might try to get my sister either a room or to upgrade my parents room?

Unfortunately, I do not think there is anything else you can do. What I might suggest is keep calling Carnival every day and check, as you never know someone may need to cancel last minute, as when I tried to see if the sailing was available myself, it is not listed on their website! Cheers!

I am so sorry to hear about your sister’s husband.  I cannot answer your question, but I want to ask if your sister knows that your family is trying to make these arrangements?  I lost my husband to cancer in 2004, and for several months afterwards I felt like I was swimming in an aquarium with glass separating me from the rest of the world.  There was no way I could have handled the crowds and activity of a cruise at that time.  If your sister wants to cruise at this time, I sincerely hope a cabin becomes available.  But please give her a chance to think it through and make sure it is right for her.

• Like 2

@jbethel11 and @77sue, thanks, I will keep calling Carnival everyday.

@ZoeyVictoria - I'm sorry that you lost your husband to cancer.  Your point is very well taken and, yes, my sister does know about the cruise and we asked her first.

@Saint Greg - Thanks, that's a great idea.  I apologize for my stupid formatting in the OP.  I tried four times to edit and remove the extra spaces that occurred when I copied and pasted but couldn't figure out how to fix the text.  I will keep trying.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, smstewart_9554 said:

@jbethel11 and @77sue, thanks, I will keep calling Carnival everyday.

@ZoeyVictoria - I'm sorry that you lost your husband to cancer.  Your point is very well taken and, yes, my sister does know about the cruise and we asked her first.

@Saint Greg - Thanks, that's a great idea.  I apologize for my stupid formatting in the OP.  I tried four times to edit and remove the extra spaces that occurred when I copied and pasted but couldn't figure out how to fix the text.  I will keep trying.

You can't edit a post past 20 minutes.  

36 minutes ago, smstewart_9554 said:

Hi all, I've never  used these boards, actually I have never cruised.  My parents are scheduled to cruise on the Carnival Magic on 5/11/19 (next week) from Florida.  My sister's husband has battled brain cancer the past year and just lost his battle.  My sister has been the primary caregiver for him as he went through every form of treatment possible and eventually lost the ability to move and then swallow.  Long story short, we are trying to see if we could send my sister with my parents to have some chance to get away.  My parents room apparently only has room for 2 and Carnival put them on a waitlist to either upgrade to a larger room or to get my sister her own room as the cruise is currently already full.  Is there anything else that we might try to get my sister either a room or to upgrade my parents room?  Thank you all in advance for your kindness helping us.

Sincerely,

Shaun

Sorry to hear about your sisters husband. Brain cancer sucks.

As others have said, call carnival  couple times a day and also reach out to John Heald on facebook. But, you could also try contacting a reputable travel agent in Florida. They will sometimes have a room or two that they bought in bulk for a group. Not sure when they'd get turned back. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

If the lifeboats berths are full, they are full and no one, no amount of calls will change a thing.  There are no exceptions.

I don’t think anyone said that. 

35 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

That is usually why no one can be added to a cruise.  Cruise lines are happy to upgrade people to a larger and more $$ cabin.  

I think everyone gets that- the suggestions I've seen appear to be based on a last minute cancellation coming available.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 10:09 PM, Elaine5715 said:

That is usually why no one can be added to a cruise.  Cruise lines are happy to upgrade people to a larger and more $$ cabin.  

.....and that number changes until the moment the ship sails.  If there are cancellations the cruise line will certainly take on passengers last minute.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:45 PM, Shaded Lady said:

I think everyone gets that- the suggestions I've seen appear to be based on a last minute cancellation coming available.

I didn't get that impression, more of a "call until you get around it or ask Daddy John" for an exception

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

.....and that number changes until the moment the ship sails.  If there are cancellations the cruise line will certainly take on passengers last minute.

A last minute cancellation rarely helps anyone who needs to plan.  "No shows" aren't filled since they need to leave that lifeboat seat open in case the "no show" becomes a "late show".

9 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

A last minute cancellation rarely helps anyone who needs to plan.  

Yet in this case it does.....the trip is scheduled.....they just want to add a passenger.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I didn't get that impression, more of a "call until you get around it or ask Daddy John" for an exception

A last minute cancellation rarely helps anyone who needs to plan.  "No shows" aren't filled since they need to leave that lifeboat seat open in case the "no show" becomes a "late show".

You’re totally wrong. 

I would defend Elaine, but she always puts me down for being a teen so as Elaine said:

23 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

nope

Anyway, to the OP, keep calling!

Edited by jbethel11

25 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Like others have told you, nope.

what exactly don't you understand about...

"My parents room apparently only has room for 2 and Carnival put them on a waitlist to either upgrade to a larger room or to get my sister her own room as the cruise is currently already full.  Is there anything else that we might try to get my sister either a room or to upgrade my parents room? "

I don't see anyplace where the OP or anyone said try to get them to just add another person where there is no cabin. And who are the "others"?

You're wrong.

• Like 1

On our recent cruise we met a couple who had received a call at 8pm the night before sailing that a room was available for them. They packed in half an hour and drove all night to get there.

So, yes rooms do become available last minute and people do accept them.

23 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

On our recent cruise we met a couple who had received a call at 8pm the night before sailing that a room was available for them. They packed in half an hour and drove all night to get there.

So, yes rooms do become available last minute and people do accept them.

That’s why it’s worth it for the OP to keep calling and asking if something opened up. 

We had to cancel a cruise Feb.22 because of a broken toe, and our cabin was definitely taken by someone else, as reported by our friends who were in the next cabin.