Just back from Perfect Day At Coco Cay

16 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

With one big exception.  At Coco Cay, any child under 18 must have a paying adult accompany them.  At Disney's water parks (as an example), children 14 and older can attend without an adult.

The Atlantis Water Park in Nassau also requires anyone under 18 to be accompanied by an adult 

image.thumb.png.4a7fc77dbaa61386adb2708d75bcd8a7.png

So either RCI chose to align their policy with their closest neighbor's policy or the Bahamas has a law/regulation requiring adults to accompany minors. The fact that once it's satisfied makes me think it's some local law(total guess on my part).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

We've seen the same significant fluctuations in Internet and beverage packages.

The drink and internet package fluctuates by 20% or 30 %. That's a standard rate on any promotional item anywhere. I have never seen them quadruple in price like the cabanas.  

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

The drink and internet package fluctuates by 20% or 30 %. That's a standard rate on any promotional item anywhere. I have never seen them quadruple in price like the cabanas.  

Small ticket item..smaller fluctuation.

33 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

With one big exception.  At Coco Cay, any child under 18 must have a paying adult accompany them.  At Disney's water parks (as an example), children 14 and older can attend without an adult.

It's only a big exception if you have kids 15-18...otherwise...it's just the same. 

This nominal variation could well be a Bahamian regulation/law variation.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

11 minutes ago, ChrisTheDBA said:

The Atlantis Water Park in Nassau also requires anyone under 18 to be accompanied by an adult 

image.thumb.png.4a7fc77dbaa61386adb2708d75bcd8a7.png

So either RCI chose to align their policy with their closest neighbor's policy or the Bahamas has a law/regulation requiring adults to accompany minors. The fact that once it's satisfied makes me think it's some local law(total guess on my part).

At least they offer a reduced rate if you don’t want to use the slides.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Many wouldn't pay so much for those drink packages...so I call BS.

Many wouldn't pay $1449 for a cabana either but that's not the point. The point was "smaller ticket item smaller fluctuation". Clearly the drink package is a larger ticket item than the price of your cabana. 

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Many wouldn't pay $1449 for a cabana either but that's not the point. The point was "smaller ticket item smaller fluctuation". Clearly the drink package is a larger ticket item than the price of your cabana. 

Only on a per-person basis...but not aggregated total.

40 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Good point.

Like we said earlier...they're new to this venue setup...so perhaps they'll adjust after some "experience".

I am sure they will.  They even requested people to fill out a survey about Coco Cay for a chance at $250.  Since Coco Cay was the last day of the cruise it had to be done before 10pm that night

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The drink package is a larger bottom line but is also over a longer period of time. The cabana is only for a single day, and part of that to boot.

Drink package 50-70 day/person = 100-140 day/couple - > 9 days 900-1260.

Cabana - 450 -1450 for one day.

The drink package for the same amount is 25%-10% of the cabana rental.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I wonder how many people who "experienced" the water park will spend the $$$ to experience it a second time, given all of the negative reviews of lines, costs, and crowds?

We would without hesitation...knowing that many of the negative posts are based on limited perspective reports (lines), lack of homework (prices can be gotten for less in many cases), and crowds only apply (maybe) when an Oasis and another larger ship are in port together.

People can see what they wish to see. Others do their research and enjoy things based on the facts.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

We would without hesitation...knowing that many of the negative posts are not based on facts.

Interesting, last week when even the Cruise Director and Activity Directory made reference to immediately getting off the ship and head directly to the water park to avoid lines later in the day.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gatour said:

Interesting, last week when even the Cruise Director and Activity Directory made reference to immediately getting off the ship and head directly to the water park to avoid lines later in the day.

Interesting...we'e heard that same advice on nearly any cruise to nearly any destination when excursions are an option.

41 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

We would without hesitation...knowing that many of the negative posts are based on limited perspective reports (lines), lack of homework (prices can be gotten for less in many cases), and crowds only apply (maybe) when an Oasis and another larger ship are in port together.

People can see what they wish to see. Others do their research and enjoy things based on the facts.

Is it a limited perspective that people have to wait up to two hours to go on some water slide? Cruisers reporting what they see is a fact. Perspective is a point of view and is not limited. Cruisers posting about higher prices for cabanas is not a perspective. This thread is one of the best one going right now and I have paid attention. Now your post is perspective and nothing wrong with that as I do the same thing often but posters reporting what they see with their eyes is helping me decide what I want to do on this island if anything.

42 minutes ago, brentconn said:

Is it a limited perspective that people have to wait up to two hours to go on some water slide? Cruisers reporting what they see is a fact.

For them yes...for most of the time when there's NOT 2 hour waits...that's also being reported.  Waits at any venue anywhere are common...2 hour ones are an anomaly. Typically only the complainers post but rarely represent the majority of the experiences.

Posting higher prices is the same thing. Only a few post on their much lower prices.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

I'm just trying to take in a rounded view of what's going on. Complainers do not represent the majority. The majority of posts here are questions. I'm sure the average wait time is not two hours at the park but the fact is that people have experienced wait times that are that long. That doesn't make them complainers. If I had to wait two hours on anything then you'll see me posting about it. BTW, I just counted the threads on the first page and here is what I see.

10 questions

1 review

1 complaint

2 announcements

and this thread :classic_wink:

7 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Our perspective is based on the fact that we were there on Harmony on May 13 (first Oasis class ship to dock there), and experienced the chaos that ensued when 6,300 passengers descended on an island not quite prepared for us. When you get off of the pier, you can turn right to get to the waterpark and fresh water pool, or left to get to the old beach area. To us, it appeared that everyone turned right. The water park was jammed, the freshwater pool was jammed, and the old beach was virtually empty. To top it all off, the only mention in the Cruise Compass that there was a $$ charge for the water park area were two $$ signs buried in the middle of a paragraph at the bottom of an inside page. By the time we came back to the ship, guest services was jammed with people who found out after they got back to the ship that when they swiped their sea pass cards to get their wristbands, that they had been charged $79 each (There were no signs at the entrance that let anyone know they were going to be charged.) We experienced it once, and once was enough - from now on, we're turning left.

Edited by orville99

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Our perspective is based on the fact that we were there on Harmony on May 13 (first Oasis class ship to dock there),...

It would appear you answered your own query.

Clearly there isn't an established process in place yet (especially for the largest ships) which has been mentioned before. There have been a series of Navigator and Mariner dockings there, without the same kind of issues.

Sorry to hear your experience was different this very early in the life of the new Coco Cay.

3 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

It would appear you answered your own query.

Clearly there isn't an established process in place yet (especially for the largest ships) which has been mentioned before. There have been a series of Navigator and Mariner dockings there, without the same kind of issues.

Sorry to hear your experience was different this very early in the life of the new Coco Cay.

We will be back there on Mariner in July, and quite frankly, I don't expect the experience to be any different. RCL is tone deaf when it comes to its customers and their input.

Just now, orville99 said:

We will be back there on Mariner in July, and quite frankly, I don't expect the experience to be any different. RCL is tone deaf when it comes to its customers and their input.

Mmmmm....not necessarily....they are pretty heavy into surveys and polls this first full month of operation. Likely, they'll leverage the feedback for changes you might see as early as July...