Yes or No? Stateroom door decorations

dpavid

Can't find a solid answer for NCL Joy stateroom decorations. Some threads say yes for other ships, some say no. Most threads or searches came up with yes but those are 2+ years old. Are they allowed on NCL Joy? We don't want to be that one bad family breaking rules. Thanks in advance.

Can't answer for the Joy, but there were some decorated doors on the Gem last week.   I would think the policy would be fleet wide (unless because the Joy is so new).   

2 hours ago, Shih-tzu said:

Can't answer for the Joy, but there were some decorated doors on the Gem last week.   I would think the policy would be fleet wide (unless because the Joy is so new).   

Does anyone know if the Joy cabin entrance doors are still metal?  I just made some magnetic signs for our group doors and certainly hoping so!!

4 hours ago, dpavid said:

Can't find a solid answer for NCL Joy stateroom decorations. Some threads say yes for other ships, some say no. Most threads or searches came up with yes but those are 2+ years old. Are they allowed on NCL Joy? We don't want to be that one bad family breaking rules. Thanks in advance.

Hi dpavid, 

We have been on 7 NCL cruises within the past 6 years and on every single cruise either us or someone in our travelling group has decorated their stateroom doors with no issues or NCL staff telling us we had to remove them.  You will see lots of stateroom doors decorated. 

We just cruised in April on the Escape, and my wife decorated our stateroom door with a large plastic "Happy Retirement" banner that was attached with duct tape. Our cabin steward actually fixed it while we were out so it lined up with the door better, so I don't think you will have any issues with door decorations. 

Enjoy your cruise ! 

Regards, 

Vinegarjoe 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, twoznuff2 said:

I just got back from Alaska on the Bliss. We had a magnet holding a sign for each of our 2 cabins. No problem.

Thanks for that!!!  I'm SO ready for our cruise this Saturday!!!

IDK, maybe it's just me, but I think it's wasteful (shrug emoji). If it is something you already have at home and you're going to take it home with you, then great. If not, it just adds to a pile in a landfill. The cruise industry creates enough waste on its own, I don't think it needs more help. That said, I've seen some cute ones with lollipops that people seem to love and take advantage of.

(Also, don't get me started on the cruise ducks)

• Like 1

We've seen this on other cruise lines and we have always been curious. Not in any way a criticism or anything - do what you want, it's your vacation but can I ask why you decorate the outside of the cabin door? I can see why passengers might want to decorating the inside their cabin for a special occasion or for whatever reason but I've never understood why you would need to decorate the outside of the door?? We've seen many levels of decoration from a single banner right through to numerous signs covering the whole door? Just wondering why people decorate the outside of their cabin door. Again, no hate... just a genuine question.

12 minutes ago, stuartgrn said:

We've seen this on other cruise lines and we have always been curious. Not in any way a criticism or anything - do what you want, it's your vacation but can I ask why you decorate the outside of the cabin door? I can see why passengers might want to decorating the inside their cabin for a special occasion or for whatever reason but I've never understood why you would need to decorate the outside of the door?? We've seen many levels of decoration from a single banner right through to numerous signs covering the whole door? Just wondering why people decorate the outside of their cabin door. Again, no hate... just a genuine question.

Door decorating is really popular on Disney cruise lines and we’ve done a few of those cruises. If you’re celebrating a special occasion you can have it on your door design and people will probably wish you happy birthday or happy anniversary if they are passing by as you enter or exit. And it helps you tell which door is yours when you’re in a long hallway with doors that all look alike. And kids like door designs with their favourite characters. I think maybe it’s not as popular on other cruise lines.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, dpavid said:

I used Command hook/strips on my door on Pride of America last week and I’m using the same May 25th on the Joy  

27 minutes ago, stuartgrn said:

For me, it’s fun to do and helps me find my room 😊

• Like 1

There shouldn't be a problem as long as when a guest leaves the ship for good, the door is exactly how it was on embarkation day. No decorations left behind, no tape or tape residue for the next guest to find, etc. Obviously, no nails, screws, tacks, or anything else that will leave a mark. 

1 hour ago, dolls123 said:

For me, it’s fun to do and helps me find my room 😊

I understand the fun part of the decorating.....  but I find it humurous that people say it's also done to help find their room... can I point out that the stateroom is assigned a number and they are organized in numerical order so whichever direction you're walking in..... the numbers lead you directly to your room. 🤣😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

I understand the fun part of the decorating.....  but I find it humurous that people say it's also done to help find their room... can I point out that the stateroom is assigned a number and they are organized in numerical order so whichever direction you're walking in..... the numbers lead you directly to your room. 🤣😁

Well....with the UBP sometimes it’s helpful to have a bit more of a distinguishing mark 😂

1 minute ago, Kingkonig said:

Well....with the UBP sometimes it’s helpful to have a bit more of a distinguishing mark 😂

..... in some cases I think passengers should decorate what deck they're on as well. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

..... in some cases I think passengers should decorate what deck they're on as well. 

I definitely agree.  Glad they have the perk as an option, but I’m glad I don’t cruise over colleges’ spring/summer breaks

I decorated the door on my last sailing (December) so it looked like Christmas present wrapping and handcrafted Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah on it.  It was a big hit with the staff and no one told me to take it down.

23 hours ago, dpavid said:

Allowed but do not leave any traces of your decoration (or damage) when you take them down or you will be billed.