2 float planes crash in the water in Ketchikan

Coral

9 hours ago, cruises42 said:

How do you find out what company is running the excursions? I have never seen it listed in the excursion description.

Tacquan Air does all most all major cruise lines excursions. They are a large organization. Many of the smaller companies have 1 or 2 planes which doesn't work well with cruise lines.

Edited by Coral

12 hours ago, kennicott said:

I wouldn't be too harsh on Taquan Air, they are a quite large Air Taxi and unquestionably have had a stretch of bad luck.  Read post  #111 on this thread.  They have a lot of excellent pilots too and you can bet the entire staff is extremely depressed and despondent right now, truth be known, that is why they decided to shut her down. If and when they open their doors again it could be decades before they have another ding-up. I flew the Bush on the coast of Alaska and in the interior for 12 years without putting a scratch, hardly, on an airplane. My younger brother has been at it now for 56 years and hasn't wrecked one yet. 

Even Pacific Wings has experienced strife. Every morning I drive by what remains of their Beaver N 616 W which is in the scrap bone yard at lake Spenard. That was a cruise line excursion flight as well.  

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=156233

It is also important to point out that Alaska potentially will have more air crashes due to the fact that they have so many small planes. A lot of people own their own plane here vs where I live, it is pretty rare. Also, where I live (plains in Midwest) - it is a whole lot easier to fly compared to terrain where Alaskan pilots fly.

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, ultramax12 said:

So are we, see you there 😎 it's a surprise tour I booked for my family.

I assume your on Coral?

We will be on the Grand. I wonder if there are 2 different planes going out. You are the 3rd group of 2 (I am guessing 2) to say you are with us. To make 8, but I thought they only do 6 pax.  I double checked my date to make sure I was correct. Maybe someone else has the wrong date. 

Crossing fingers for a clear beautiful day next week! 😁

15 hours ago, kennicott said:

Even Pacific Wings has experienced strife. Every morning I drive by what remains of their Beaver N 616 W which is in the scrap bone yard at lake Spenard. That was a cruise line excursion flight as well.  

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=156233

I just wanted to clarify the few of us are talking about Island Wings, not Pacific Wings as they are two different companies. For a moment I freaked out thinking it was Michelle's company but it was not. Wasn't sure if I missed another comment about Pacific or not. 

Not saying they can't ever have an accident. I mean accidents happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katwoman007 said:

We will be on the Grand. I wonder if there are 2 different planes going out. You are the 3rd group of 2 (I am guessing 2) to say you are with us. To make 8, but I thought they only do 6 pax.  I double checked my date to make sure I was correct. Maybe someone else has the wrong date. 

Crossing fingers for a clear beautiful day next week! 😁

My mistake, we are in port on 5/31 and Adam is our pilot that day. Sorry about the confusion...

Here's to Blue Skies 🥂

My mistake, we are in port on 5/31 and Adam is our pilot that day. Sorry about the confusion...

Here's to Blue Skies 🥂

oh bummer.. I was hoping to actually "meet" fellow CC posters! 🙂 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Cairns Cruisers said:

Now a Cessna has gone down today in Alaska near Valdez killing at least one.

Actually, not near Valdez but closer to Whittier on the west side of Prince William Sound. Aircraft was a Cessna 185 on amphibian floats. Pilot landed in the water with landing gear down. Big mistake. Up and over. Prepare to swim. Prayers for the old boy who wasn't able to get out of the upside down aircraft.    

On 5/14/2019 at 5:47 AM, Cathygh said:

Terrible news. I am aware that Holland America have cancelled all excursions using Taquan Air from Ketchikan until the official investigation is complete. I would think other cruise lines will do the same.

I am booked on the Aug 25th sailing of NCL Bliss; we have a reservation for a flight with Taquan Air.  As of now they have suspended operations.  I checked with NCL yesterday and they are cancelling their flight excursions through the 1st week of June and will make a further decision beyond that after the investigation is completed.

From what I can gather Taquan was flying the DeHavilland Otter and the smaller plane was operated by Mountain Air.  The 2nd crash later in the week was operated by Taquan Air.

Interestingly most of the passengers on the larger Otter were from my area in FL.  2 of the passengers who were former police officers were involved in rescuing a great number of the passengers.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:29 PM, Cairns Cruisers said:

Now a Cessna has gone down today in Alaska near Valdez killing at least one.

Update on Celebrity excursions.  I called and they said any flight excursions contracted with Taquan Air were mass cancelled and refunds/credits issued. Any of those still going on or being sold are contracted with a different air carrier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2019 at 9:54 AM, AuroraRose said:

How incredibly sad for all involved. Sending thoughts and prayers to the friends and families of those involved, and wishes for speedy recoveries to those who were injured. If anyone knows of a website where we can donate to victims and their families, I would like the link so that I can help in some way.

We have flightseeing tours from Icy Strait Point and Juneau booked for this August. Right now, I am not planning to cancel either tour (especially given the impact this accident will potentially have on the tourism industry in the area), but I am watching closely to see if this accident has any findings that could affect flightseeing tours going forward. And this incredibly unfortunate accident has me thinking about if there are any insurance options that would cover costs associated with a freak accident and/or being stranded in a port due to being hospitalized? Would regular travel insurance cover this or would you need extra insurance of some kind? I think knowing options and maybe purchasing additional insurance would make me less nervous about taking the tours we currently have booked in the wake of this accident.

On another thread on the Princess boards, a cruise critic member reported that his supervisor had relatives involved in the first crash. These passengers were among those flown to Seattle.  The supervisor was also flown to Seattle to be with the patients and family.  It appears that Princess was paying for 

all of it.  Both planes in the first crash involved passengers from the Royal Princess. 

Not it sure about you insurance questions, but maybe ask here.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

• Like 1

I just got an email that our flight-seeing/boat misty fjords excursion was cancelled by celebrity, however it is still showing as available online (probably a delay in removing it).

Dear Guest, We look forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Cruises. As you prepare for this modern luxury vacation, we need to let you know that your upcoming tour reservation Misty Fjords Boat and Floatplane Wilderness Adventure (KE07) in Ketchikan, Alaska has been canceled due to operational reasons. Here are some alternative Shore Excursions in Ketchikan that may be of interest to you: Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer (KE62) Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast (KE19) Weve already updated your itinerary and refunded your original form(s) of payment in the full amount. To select a new tour, well need to create a new reservation for you. Please visit https://www.celebritycruises.com/shore-excursions or call us at (800)722-5941 to ensure your new excursion.

14 hours ago, poidog81 said:

I just got an email that our flight-seeing/boat misty fjords excursion was cancelled by celebrity, however it is still showing as available online (probably a delay in removing it).

When were you scheduled for your trip?

https://www.krbd.org/2019/05/31/ntsb-releases-preliminary-report-for-metlakatla-crash/

> Taquan resumed scheduled flights on Friday, according to the company. It will resume tours on Monday.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:51 PM, Katwoman007 said:

oh bummer.. I was hoping to actually "meet" fellow CC posters! 🙂 

How was your trip with Adam at Island Wings?

We thought he was great! Our son got to fly in the co-pilot seat round-trip so he enjoyed that a lot. Adam was very friendly and informative. I hope you enjoyed your cruise!

How was your trip with Adam at Island Wings?

We thought he was great! Our son got to fly in the co-pilot seat round-trip so he enjoyed that a lot. Adam was very friendly and informative. I hope you enjoyed your cruise!

It was AMAZING!! Adam was awesome. I got the back seat, so I could shoot out both sides 😉 The lake we landed on was beautiful. It was a very clear sky with just him and Michelle up in the air, so that helped my nerves a lot. Cruise was great, sad to be back home but almost got my land legs back. Haha!! Hope your cruise was just as good! 😄 

17 hours ago, Katwoman007 said:

It was AMAZING!! Adam was awesome. I got the back seat, so I could shoot out both sides 😉 The lake we landed on was beautiful. It was a very clear sky with just him and Michelle up in the air, so that helped my nerves a lot. Cruise was great, sad to be back home but almost got my land legs back. Haha!! Hope your cruise was just as good! 😄 

Our daughter got the back seat 😀 The day we flew it was cloudy with low clouds (Misty), but the experience was great. I think both Michelle and Adam fly a different flight path then the other tour providers in the area.

Adam did share his thoughts regarding what caused the accident weeks prior.

The weather was not great during our cruise, our stop in Juneau I had a helicopter and dog sled camp tour booked which was canceled due to a low ceiling... Clouds and light rain off and on that day.

After the cruise we headed up to Denali which was also a nice experience.

Overall seeing Alaska was enjoyable, but I'm looking forward to cruising back in the Caribbean 🍹🥂

Take Care

Our daughter got the back seat 😀 The day we flew it was cloudy with low clouds (Misty), but the experience was great. I think both Michelle and Adam fly a different flight path then the other tour providers in the area.

Adam did share his thoughts regarding what caused the accident weeks prior.

The weather was not great during our cruise, our stop in Juneau I had a helicopter and dog sled camp tour booked which was canceled due to a low ceiling... Clouds and light rain off and on that day.

After the cruise we headed up to Denali which was also a nice experience.

Overall seeing Alaska was enjoyable, but I'm looking forward to cruising back in the Caribbean 🍹🥂

Take Care

We had some crazy clear beautiful weather at all our ports. Tracy Arm was freezing and overcast that brought in some wet stuff,  and some scary clouds in Skagway that made for great photos. I do remember running to the boat when it decided to down pour for a few minutes (I had fleece on and did not want to stop for rain jacket as we were not far lol ). It was raining in Victoria when we were docking, but that was the only time we saw rain (from our balcony) there. We followed Michelle's plane up for about 10 minutes and then separated. She spotted some orcas down below, so we were happy about that 😉 Then some how they timed it so they follow each-other in. It was nice hearing them communicate and watching out for each other. I had a brief convo with Adam but did not really go into details, just that I was very anxious and he made it great. 

If it loads, this was the lake we landed on. Nonya (Nona?) Lake. I would totally fly with Adam again! 🙂 I would love to go to Denali. We hope to get back up to Alaska, sooner than later. 

2019-05-29 11.11.51.jpg