2 float planes crash in the water in Ketchikan

Coral

1 minute ago, JanetAlice said:

I have not been able to find anything on the roll call regarding Michelle. 

Which roll call did you check? I was about to email Island wings to book my tour earlier when I read about the collision. I searched on facebook, CC etc to see if one of the planes was Island wings’ and saw a post where someone said she had checked and found out it wasn’t Island wings. I thought I saw the post on a roll call.

18 minutes ago, dundeene said:

We are booked with Island Wings and Michelle in 2 weeks.  I am very shaken up about this crash. My Aunt and Uncle were on this tour through Princess and on the flight right before the one that crashed. Thank goodness the staff on the ships asked the people who might have a worried family to call home!

Are you booked for the 29th? That is our date with Island Wings.

Happy to hear your aunt and uncle are safe. 

Just now, Hope89 said:

Which roll call did you check? I was about to email Island wings to book my tour earlier when I read about the collision. I searched on facebook, CC etc to see if one of the planes was Island wings’ and saw a post where someone said she had checked and found out it wasn’t Island wings. I thought I saw the post on a roll call.

I checked their facebook and I hope they update they are all okay. 😞 I know they must be getting tons of calls and such. 

2 minutes ago, Hope89 said:

I checked the one for this cruise. Maybe it is on a different one. I also checked Island Wings Facebook page for a post but nothing. I’ll look again on other roll calls. 

19 minutes ago, dundeene said:

We are booked with Island Wings and Michelle in 2 weeks.  I am very shaken up about this crash. My Aunt and Uncle were on this tour through Princess and on the flight right before the one that crashed. Thank goodness the staff on the ships asked the people who might have a worried family to call home!

Glad your Aunt and Uncle are Ok. Sad for those suffering.  We had a tour booked, but cancelled last week, as DH was not comfortable.  We did many different types of these type fights in recent years, but I think we are done with these type excursions. 

So sad.  

Blasts from the not so long ago past-----

The NTSB written report on this accident was published:  https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAR1702.pdf  Excerpts:

"4.1 New Safety Recommendations

To the Federal Aviation Administration:--------

"Analyze automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast data from Ketchikan air tour operations on an ongoing basis and meet annually with Ketchikan air tour operators to engage in a nonpunitive discussion of any operational hazards reflected in the data and collaborate on mitigation strategies for any hazards identified. (A-17-42)

Develop and implement special operating rules for the Ketchikan air tour industry that include en route visual flight rules weather minimums that are tailored to the industry’s unique requirements and are more conservative than those specified in 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 135. (A-17-43)----Excerpts----

To Cruise Lines International Association:
Encourage your members that sell air tours as shore excursions to review the circumstances of this accident and to consider ways to mitigate associated risks. (A-17-44"4.1 New Safety Recommendations

"Analyze automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast data from Ketchikan air tour operations on an ongoing basis and meet annually with Ketchikan air tour operators to engage in a nonpunitive discussion of any operational hazards reflected in the data and collaborate on mitigation strategies for any hazards identified. (A-17-42)

Develop and implement special operating rules for the Ketchikan air tour industry that include en route visual flight rules weather minimums that are tailored to the industry’s unique requirements and are more conservative than those specified in 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 135. (A-17-43)

Encourage your members that sell air tours as shore excursions to review the circumstances of this accident and to consider ways to mitigate associated risks. (A-17-44)"

"Board Member Statement
Member Christopher A. Hart filed the following concurring statement on May 1, 2017:------

"Nonetheless, by analogy here, the big picture would suggest that two other participants that are involved in this situation – the cruise ship operators and the Medallion Foundation – should work with the carriers in an effort to create a sightseeing program that eliminates financial incentives to carriers to take more risk. The cruise ship operators make the flight services available to the passengers, and the Medallion Foundation was created to help improve the safety of the carriers in Alaska, so they, in addition to the carriers, have a vested interest improving the safety of the sightseeing carriers by eliminating these adverse incentives.

Time Pressure. Another issue in this accident was the time pressure that was created by the agreement between the cruise ship operator and the sightseeing carrier that if the carrier returned passengers too late to catch the ship, the carrier would be responsible, at its expense, for timely delivery of the passengers to the cruise ship’s next port of call, which might be several hundred miles away. In this accident the pressure to return the passengers to the ship in time clearly played a key role in the pilot’s decision to take a shorter but obviously more dangerous route back to the ship.

As with the adverse safety incentives, the cruise ship operators and the Medallion Foundation should work with the carriers to develop agreements that eliminate this time pressure because they all have a vested interest in improving safety. The program would need to be more comprehensive than simply enlarging the time window because the problem, although it might be less frequent, could still occur."

Acting Chairman Sumwalt and Members Weener and Dinh-Zarr joined in this statement.

15 minutes ago, kennicott said:

Blasts from the not so long ago past-----

The NTSB written report on this accident was published:  https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAR1702.pdf  Excerpts:

"4.1 New Safety Recommendations

Develop and implement special operating rules for the Ketchikan air tour industry that include en route visual flight rules weather minimums that are tailored to the industry’s unique requirements and are more conservative than those specified in 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 135. (A-17-43)----Excerpts----

Encourage your members that sell air tours as shore excursions to review the circumstances of this accident and to consider ways to mitigate associated risks. (A-17-44"4.1 New Safety Recommendations

Develop and implement special operating rules for the Ketchikan air tour industry that include en route visual flight rules weather minimums that are tailored to the industry’s unique requirements and are more conservative than those specified in 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 135. (A-17-43)

Encourage your members that sell air tours as shore excursions to review the circumstances of this accident and to consider ways to mitigate associated risks. (A-17-44)"

"Board Member Statement
Member Christopher A. Hart filed the following concurring statement on May 1, 2017:------

"Nonetheless, by analogy here, the big picture would suggest that two other participants that are involved in this situation – the cruise ship operators and the Medallion Foundation – should work with the carriers in an effort to create a sightseeing program that eliminates financial incentives to carriers to take more risk. The cruise ship operators make the flight services available to the passengers, and the Medallion Foundation was created to help improve the safety of the carriers in Alaska, so they, in addition to the carriers, have a vested interest improving the safety of the sightseeing carriers by eliminating these adverse incentives.

Time Pressure. Another issue in this accident was the time pressure that was created by the agreement between the cruise ship operator and the sightseeing carrier that if the carrier returned passengers too late to catch the ship, the carrier would be responsible, at its expense, for timely delivery of the passengers to the cruise ship’s next port of call, which might be several hundred miles away. In this accident the pressure to return the passengers to the ship in time clearly played a key role in the pilot’s decision to take a shorter but obviously more dangerous route back to the ship.

As with the adverse safety incentives, the cruise ship operators and the Medallion Foundation should work with the carriers to develop agreements that eliminate this time pressure because they all have a vested interest in improving safety. The program would need to be more comprehensive than simply enlarging the time window because the problem, although it might be less frequent, could still occur."

Acting Chairman Sumwalt and Members Weener and Dinh-Zarr joined in this statement.

Does not seem this helped.  

I'm here in Skagway and was in Ketchikan a day ago.  My husband and I have flown with Island wings.  We are out of touch online until we come into port tomorrow.  Prayers for everyone involved.

Edited by vermonter16

Someone posted on a Facebook group that they had done the excursion with Michelle/Island Wings earlier today. They confirmed that it was NOT her/her plane. They posted 4 hours ago (after the crash) “I can see the Island Wings plane from our cabin. I even saw Michelle, the owner and pilot, walking on her dock a little while ago.”

I’m sure that they are being inundated with concerned family, friends and customers. On top of no doubt being shaken up by this, and possibly assisting in search efforts or otherwise handling urgent matters. It’s likely even that they know the pilots of the two planes, and may be dealing with their own grief at this time.

3 minutes ago, Dani24 said:

Someone posted on a Facebook group that they had done the excursion with Michelle/Island Wings earlier today. They confirmed that it was NOT her/her plane. They posted 4 hours ago (after the crash) “I can see the Island Wings plane from our cabin. I even saw Michelle, the owner and pilot, walking on her dock a little while ago.”

I’m sure that they are being inundated with concerned family, friends and customers. On top of no doubt being shaken up by this, and possibly assisting in search efforts or otherwise handling urgent matters. It’s likely even that they know the pilots of the two planes, and may be dealing with their own grief at this time.

No doubt the community knows all the pilots. ❤️ Cannot be easy to be in the middle of it all and part of that community. This is the last thing anyone ever wants to happen 😞 

I do hope that post is correct and Michelle and staff are alright. 

Does anyone know who the smaller independent excursion was? I appreciate the outpouring for Michelle, but she is not the only operator in Ketchikan. We know Taquan was involved, but who was the other one?

• Like 1

Terrible news. I am aware that Holland America have cancelled all excursions using Taquan Air from Ketchikan until the official investigation is complete. I would think other cruise lines will do the same.

3 hours ago, Unibok said:

Does anyone know who the smaller independent excursion was? I appreciate the outpouring for Michelle, but she is not the only operator in Ketchikan. We know Taquan was involved, but who was the other one?

The other Floatplane company was Mountain Air Service. 

4 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Terrible news. I am aware that Holland America have cancelled all excursions using Taquan Air from Ketchikan until the official investigation is complete. I would think other cruise lines will do the same.

Or who has this excursion booked and now reconsidering it?  We are booked through Celebrity next month and uncertain if we cancel or not.

Edited by poidog81

So sad... from Mountain Air’s Facebook page it looks like he has two young kids. My heart goes out to them and his wife. Based on his website, it looks like he’s the owner and the pilot.

He also calls out on his site that he has a perfect safety record. Sadly it only takes once. And who knows what occurred here... All of those protocols/suggestions they put forth after the last one may have been implemented, but when you’re defying gravity there’s always going to be a chance that gravity wins. Freak accidents occur. 😞

I was considering surprising my mom with an early morning float plane trip to Misty Fjords in Ketchikan. I am the most nervous flyer so this was going to be a stretch for me. I am thinking this won't happen and I need to come up with another idea! 

1 hour ago, Anet01 said:

The other Floatplane company was Mountain Air Service. 

Thank you, Anet01. This will be so hard for the families and friends of the vacationers, of course, but also especially difficult for the small aviation community of Ketchikan. Based on the comments here, it will hit them not only in their hearts, as they grieve their own, but also in their pocketbooks. My heart goes out to one and all.

1 hour ago, poidog81 said:

Or who has this excursion booked and now reconsidering it?  We are booked through Celebrity next month and uncertain if we cancel or not.

We have one booked for June 2020 and I was already quite nervous about flying in such a small aircraft. (never been in one before.)

I haven't made a knee-jerk decision yet based on yesterday's events, but I also doubt that I'll be able to relax and enjoy the flight scenery, even a year from now. This will be on my mind. But I'm giving it a bit to sink in and hear what the cause of the crash was, and then will decide whether to cancel.

We have used both Alaska Seaplanes Tours and Island Wings. We have also been on a helicopter glacier tour and will do so again next week. While completely tragic, accidents happen. Air, auto, trains,etc. It would be a shame for people to cancel the upcoming flight reservations as these providers depend heavily on tourism. My deepest condolences to all those affected. 

• Like 2