2 float planes crash in the water in Ketchikan

Coral

We are booked to Anan Creek with Family Air (pilot/owner is Dave) in July.  Not sure what to do.  I think I"m going to let things settle down a little while they figure out what happened and then have a conversation with Dave about what he thinks.  I'm sure he knows the pilots involved and is reeling.  Such a tragedy. 

We have a glacier helicopter ride in Skagway also and that makes me nervous too.

3 hours ago, bulldogmommy said:

Princess thread is posting  a report that is Mountain Air service.  Very sad morning for all involved. 

Thank you for that information.  My husband, son and I along with my sister and her husband are booked with Seawinds Aviation to fly on a small plane to George's Inlet on Monday while visiting with NCL Joy.  My sister is thinking of cancelling, but we are trying not to over-react and let fear get the best of us. It is hard, and so sad.

12 hours ago, Katwoman007 said:

Are you booked for the 29th? That is our date with Island Wings.

Happy to hear your aunt and uncle are safe. 

Sad news. Prey for all the families. We are on Michelle's Misty Fjords tour 10am, May 29th. Been trying to get them to add the extra 1/2 hour glacier add-on combination. Shona said need 6 on plane for that. One of the things that drove us to choose Island Wings was Michelle's long history flying and safety record. On the the 26th, we have a 5 Glacier tour with Wings Air out of Juneau.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poidog81 said:

Or who has this excursion booked and now reconsidering it?  We are booked through Celebrity next month and uncertain if we cancel or not.

I'm scheduled with Island Wings next month in Ketchikan.  Also planning a Denali flightseeing trip out of Talkeetna.

At this point I'm proceeding with both.  I realize the risks involved in small plane flights in remote areas, but that the overwhelming number of trips are wonderful experiences for their passengers.  My $0.02.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

Sad news. Prey for all the families. We are on Michelle's Misty Fjords tour 10am, May 29th. Been trying to get them to add the extra 1/2 hour glacier add-on combination. Shona said need 6 on plane for that. One of the things that drove us to choose Island Wings was Michelle's long history flying and safety record. On the the 26th, we have a 5 Glacier tour with Wings Air out of Juneau.

We are scheduled with you!

2 hours ago, musik07 said:

I was considering surprising my mom with an early morning float plane trip to Misty Fjords in Ketchikan. I am the most nervous flyer so this was going to be a stretch for me. I am thinking this won't happen and I need to come up with another idea! 

DW is a white knuckle flyer. At least two years ago. I would have never been able to book any sight seeing tours on Otters or Beavers or heaven forbid, a helicopter. Then she survived stage 4 Melanoma. We have booked a total of three air tours while in Alaska starting this Thursday. I think I could even get her on the zip-line in Icy Strait now.

• Like 2

How incredibly sad for all involved. Sending thoughts and prayers to the friends and families of those involved, and wishes for speedy recoveries to those who were injured. If anyone knows of a website where we can donate to victims and their families, I would like the link so that I can help in some way.

We have flightseeing tours from Icy Strait Point and Juneau booked for this August. Right now, I am not planning to cancel either tour (especially given the impact this accident will potentially have on the tourism industry in the area), but I am watching closely to see if this accident has any findings that could affect flightseeing tours going forward. And this incredibly unfortunate accident has me thinking about if there are any insurance options that would cover costs associated with a freak accident and/or being stranded in a port due to being hospitalized? Would regular travel insurance cover this or would you need extra insurance of some kind? I think knowing options and maybe purchasing additional insurance would make me less nervous about taking the tours we currently have booked in the wake of this accident.

My prayers go out to all families, passengers on the ship and the Ketchikan flying community. Our family of 8 are scheduled July 3 with Misty Fjords Air & Outfitting, on the DeHavilland Turbo Otter. We are going to let things settle down for awhile. We will discuss it as a family and decide what we are going to do. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Katwoman007 said:

We are scheduled with you!

How many in your party? We are so stoked. Shona has it carved into her desk that we would like to take the extra combination ($130 extra). But so far, not enough takers. I even told them I can change our flight time. In Ketchikan 9a-6p on Radiance. I'll call her again when we get near to arriving in Ketchikan to see if Michelle can work us in the flight over Soule Glacier.

54 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

DW is a white knuckle flyer. At least two years ago. I would have never been able to book any sight seeing tours on Otters or Beavers or heaven forbid, a helicopter. Then she survived stage 4 Melanoma. We have booked a total of three air tours while in Alaska starting this Thursday. I think I could even get her on the zip-line in Icy Strait now.

Congratulations!!!  I've been battling mucosal melanoma for a year and booked a 8/20 Alaska cruise (our 1st cruise).  Your wife is brave.  Bravo to you, too!  I know it's a scary journey.

You inspired me to consider something more adventurous than a whale watch!!! Now to convince DS17 & spouse!  I think we'll skip the zip-line though, lol!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, masterdrago said:

This post needs THIS reaction

❤️  ❤️  ❤️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, masterdrago said:

How many in your party? We are so stoked. Shona has it carved into her desk that we would like to take the extra combination ($130 extra). But so far, not enough takers. I even told them I can change our flight time. In Ketchikan 9a-6p on Radiance. I'll call her again when we get near to arriving in Ketchikan to see if Michelle can work us in the flight over Soule Glacier.

There are just two of us but our boat leaves at 2pm. 

1 hour ago, Dancing Shoes said:

We flew with Randy of Mountain Air last year.  He is an excellent pilot who owns his plane.  He has put much love into that plane.  I would fly with him anytime.

Was just on Facebook.  It appears that Randy has passed.  I don't know any other details.  My heart is heavy right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Was just on Facebook.  It appears that Randy has passed.  I don't know any other details.  My heart is heavy right now.

So sorry to hear. 😞 I tried locating them on facebook but could not find them. 

It's on FB, it appears his mother's name is Vicky Slenkamp, she posted a photo of his first flight at Mountain Air.

I saw a comment by a journalist that wrote a story about four years ago about Mountain Air, Randy's wife Julie said her and Randy never flew without their two children, she didn't want them left as orphans. 😢💙🙏 RIP

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-c1-alaska-float-pilot-20150102-story.html

My condolences to all the families that lost love ones.

Edited by ultramax12
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Two people still missing, supposedly an Aussie and a Canadian. Very sad.

That sounds correct, news reports have been confused. Apparently there are two missing still. Both from the Beaver. They found the missing passenger from the Otter last night, in the sunken fuselage. The Beaver got the worst of it and came apart in the air. Four passengers and the pilot on the Beaver. The Otter managed to limp onto the water close to shore. The Otter passengers had to swim a bit.

• Like 1

We’re booked with Island Wings next month as well as K2 out of a Talkeetna. This is a horrible tragedy, but I don’t think we’ll change our plans because of it. I think if I made decisions based on fear I might miss too many amazing experiences!

My heart and prayers go out to everyone involved and even the other passengers on the cruise with those that died. I can’t imagine how hard it would be to go on enjoying a vacation after something like that happened to a fellow passenger even if you didn’t know them.  This is so, so sad.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 11:07 AM, LessWorkMoreTravel said:

We are booked to Anan Creek with Family Air (pilot/owner is Dave) in July.  Not sure what to do.  I think I"m going to let things settle down a little while they figure out what happened and then have a conversation with Dave about what he thinks.  I'm sure he knows the pilots involved and is reeling.  Such a tragedy. 

We have a glacier helicopter ride in Skagway also and that makes me nervous too.

flew with him several years ago and added on misty fjords on the way back .. felt very safe and secure.  Have a wonderful trip. I'll never forget those bears.

• Like 1