St Barts port cancelled

9 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

I agree that I would be very disappointed if I was told that a port I expected to visit was cancelled because past passengers weren't happy with their excursion choices. I book my cruises based on the ports they have listed as past excursions, and TA reviews of excursions in those port. I've done my research on the ports, and the excursions available in those ports. Things can change for reasons outside of Regents control, but St Barths has only gotten better since the hurricane a few years ago. If others chose something they don't like, that shouldn't change the itinerary of already booked cruises.

Agree! Maybe they should survey the people currently booked on those cruises. Or just leave the itinerary alone!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

Agree! Maybe they should survey the people currently booked on those cruises. Or just leave the itinerary alone!!

Yes we got the notice for out April 1 cruise---maybe an April fools Joke?🤣Just kidding it's no joke, but why St Kittskk--maybe a cost savings.

1 minute ago, Travelcat2 said:

Am I correct in assuming that the itineraries that have changed are not within the penalty phase?

The April 1st Splendor cruise is within penalty based on the terms of the inaugural sailing season.  

9 minutes ago, Snore42 said:

The April 1st Splendor cruise is within penalty based on the terms of the inaugural sailing season.  

Wow - very interesting!  The only thing I can say is that it is doubtful if anyone fortunate enough to be booked on Splendor so soon after she debuts is unlikely to cancel for any reason.  We are on the March 14th saying of Splendor - do not care for the itinerary but want to see the ship and compare it to Explorer (although no matter how beautiful Splendor is, we pretty much know that Explorer will always be our favorite ship....... for many reasons).

On 5/18/2019 at 11:29 AM, hypercafe said:

We are on the same trip booked for about the same reason. We have been to all the ports except Havana however a great advantage here is we stop in StGeorge Bermuda. Very few ships call there any more as they are too big to get through the harbor cut. It's far far nicer that the dock yard. St Bart's is a very nice port so we would hate to miss it. This is a long way off so we'll see. I was stationed in Cuba for a year in the Navy and always wanted to go back so not going there is a deal breaker for me.

One  option we'll look at if Cuba is cancelled is Navigator June 5, 2020.  We're doing Navigator June 15, 2020 from NYC to Dublin.  The cruise before is Montreal to NYC with an overnight in Bermuda.  It also picks up some areas of Canada that we will miss on the NYC-DUB cruise.  So if Cuba and St. Barts are cancelled in Oct. we might just try to move to the June 5 sailing and combine it.   Hope they decide soon.  The June 5 is booking up.  

We were looking forward to St. Bart's in Jan '20 mostly because everything was closed the last time we were there (it was on a Sunday).  We may or may not transfer this itinerary to something else - regardless of what the reasoning is, I just get a little put off when these things change and we get told, "Oh, we're doing something better" - better for who, huh?

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 5:06 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Well I wish someone would explain to me what's so great about St. Bart's that some other island couldn't provide.  I'm serious, I'd love to know what I missed there.  I did a deep-water snorkel excursion offshore in a boat, and it was just so-so, but that's all I saw.  It's tough when you're somewhere just for a day and you have to choose--I also snorkeled in Bonaire and that was a wonderful time, but I still didn't see anything of the island, other than a walk around by the pier. 

I love st Barth’s 

we always walk past the Airport, to a lovely French bar/restaurant. Feet in the sand, watching the planes land. Fun. 

This would be another reason to stick with Seabourn 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 12:08 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Maria, I don't think that a lot of passengers do not like St. Barts. - I'm just not into it and, as you can see on this thread, I'm a very tiny minority.  Hopefully Regent will assume visiting the island (and I don't see anything wrong with their excursions ....... isn't that the place where there is a sailboat that races with passengers working on the boat?). 

St Martin has the America’s Cup sailing excursion

That would not be St Barth’s thing but I have taken a couple of small boat sailing excursions. No racing

As a student pilot, the airport approach there kept me enthralled.  I think each island has something to offer, some are wealthier and glitzy, some are more modest and relaxed, and there's undoubtedly a lot of history in the area...but truth be told, I don't really have any 'favorite islands' in the region - I enjoy whichever one I'm on (or around if I'm not really doing anything ashore) but I don't question people when they say they have distinct preferences.  I used to think the same thing about a lot of the Greek Isles, too - "water, beaches, cool buildings, but still just Greek islands nonetheless."  Well, I changed my tune the more I visited there.

To each their own.

2 hours ago, purpleally said:

St Martin has the America’s Cup sailing excursion

That would not be St Barth’s thing but I have taken a couple of small boat sailing excursions. No racing

Actually, St. Barths has the CATA Cup International race in November. Nothing better than sipping champagne at Nikki Beach and watching the race. I adore St. Barth. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Actually, St. Barths has the CATA Cup International race in November. Nothing better than sipping champagne at Nikki Beach and watching the race. I adore St. Barth. 🙂

I was referring specifically to travelcats comment about the sailboats racing each other with the tourists doing the work. It’s an excursion in st Martin. 

Watching a real sailboat race would be great!

50 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Not sure if this link will work but I would like seeing planes in St. Barts.  

It did and it is!  We did it each time we were there (except the first time when we had a nice leisurely sail on a smaller boat)

Are Regent vessels too large for Saba? That's a great little island. Totally "off the beaten path" for an island, and some breathtaking scenery and marine life. Not a place to go for beaches by any means, but a great place to spend a day.

Probably not set up very well for an influx of a 1000 pax vessel, even if it could physically dock though. I guess it could always tender?

On 5/22/2019 at 3:14 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Not sure if this link will work but I would like seeing planes in St. Barts.  

I was on an ATV tour parked just off the road where that truck is parked, right inside the switchback, when a small prop twin came in - it was awesome.  As an aviation buff, I could have easily spent the afternoon there...

We are scheduled to visit St. Barth’s on Splendor, January 14, 2021 sailing. Just checked. It’s sill on our schedule with lots of sample tours. Some on land, some on water. 

Cant figure why some were cancelled and some not. Will watch for future information. 

???

Sheila

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:29 PM, slidebite said:

Are Regent vessels too large for Saba? That's a great little island. Totally "off the beaten path" for an island, and some breathtaking scenery and marine life. Not a place to go for beaches by any means, but a great place to spend a day.

Probably not set up very well for an influx of a 1000 pax vessel, even if it could physically dock though. I guess it could always tender?

That would be a great island to visit. Since it is not on any Caribbean cruise I have seen, I am assuming that the swell is too strong at the pier. We were on a cruise that was supposed to stop in Nevis and the swell was too strong. It was ok for two crew members to go ashore but too difficult for the large number of passengers on Oceania's Riviera

If St. Barth was replaced because passengers complained, that would be sad. Personally, I don't need to visit any more. We vacationed there decades ago before the building boom.