East Coast flights to Hong Kong Tips?

Fogfog

We are looking at Asia and the flights will likely be more than the cruise fares!!!

Any times from those on the East Coast for how you handled the flights?

Did you break it up into days? Book the overseas-long haul portions from the west coast biz class and fly coach to the west coast?

What about out of say Vancouver?

TYIA

Edited to add--I did cross post in Asia board as well

Edited by Fogfog

Perhaps put your questions on the  Cruise Air board because they are not specific to Celebrity.  Also include where you will ne flying from as your departure airport might make a difference in The advice you could receive

Edited by Alakegirl
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Perhaps put your questions on the  Cruise Air board because they are not specific to Celebrity.  Also include where you will ne flying from as your departure airport might make a difference in The advice you could receive

Yes I cross posted to the Asia board as it is specific to Asia NOT an airline.

Lots of knowledgeable CCers here 

United has a nonstop from EWR (Newark) to HKG which is 16 1/2 hrs.

If you choose to fly to SFO and overnight, there is a nonstop from SFO to HKG. However, that flight is 15 hrs. Therefore, you aren’t really saving much time, etc. by connecting on the West Coast, IMO. Which cruise line are you sailing with? Can you use their air/sea program? Usually you can save quite a bit of $$.

Larry

If you are in economy or premium economy, I would take one of the daytime flights (leaves NYC late morning).

If you are in business class I would take one of the flights departing near midnight.

I agree with Larry that there is no advantage to stopping in the west coast first.

If by chance you are using United miles, you can travel via Europe on any of the Star Alliance carriers.  It is a longer trip but there is decent availability in business class.

Edited by Nachosdelux

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

We are looking at Asia and the flights will likely be more than the cruise fares!!!

Did you break it up into days? Book the overseas-long haul portions from the west coast biz class and fly coach to the west coast?

TYIA

I wonder why the responses to your post assumed that you are going to Hong Kong? Are you?

Edit: Omigosh. I guess I should have caught a clue by your thread title! My bad.

I have researched flights from our home airport, PHX, to both Tokyo and Singapore. Frankly, the way I go about analyzing the flight fare is probably absurd to a whole lot of other people, but I'm really interested in a return of value for money spent. And, I find value in actually breaking up that flight into days, rather than spending the money for a business class seat.

Traveling from here to Tokyo, I've looked at going to HNL and then on to NRT. It takes about the same amount of money and flight time as going from here to SEA and then on to NRT. But, as I understand it, there is going to be some changes to Delta's schedule in August, with the addition of a newer, bigger plane going from SEA which might make that leg much more attractive.

When I was looking at going on to SIN, I liked the NRT to SIN flight option. So, getting from here to SIN was going to take me a bit of time, I must admit! However, being retired is a good thing! When you consider breaking it up, how much time would you consider using for the trip? And what is your departure home airport?

I just can't do the long....long hauls anymore. I always have to break things up, but I just consider the journey as part of the trip and try to find stopover places that I would also love to visit. For me, when I mean break it up, I may be continuing on after even 2 or 3 days.

Edited by Member123
Realized I should pay attention to detail

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

Yes, there are lots of knowledgeable travelers here and on all the forums.  But this forum is for Celebrity-specific discussions.  Imagine if everyone put their general travel questions here or in any other forum to which it was not related.

There is no appreciable time savings flying from east coast to west coast then to Asia, in fact it makes it a longer travel day.  we have flown several times from YYZ to HKG or PEK and all are flown by what is called the polar route...basically over the north pole more or less and then south down the other side.  looking at it on a map makes it look longer....looking at it on a globe makes sense...it is a shorter route.    from the west coast most routings do fly a northerly route.

It is a long flight regardless of how you do it.  From Toronto it is about 15.5 hours...and usually arrived about 6am in Hong Kong. Makes it easier to sleep if it is a night flight.

Yes fares are expensive, depending on when you are travelling.  Some of the China based airlines offer lower fares, however it will mean a layover somewhere in China, Beijing, Shanghai....

Generally fly premium economy for the bit more room, have done business class much nicer with lay flat seats...but a significant increase in price.

It is called Great Circle navigation...look it up for a better explanation.

Edited by ScubesDad

5 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Perhaps you misread the referral from Alakegirl. She referred you to the Cruise Air board https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/   There are a lot of knowledgeable posters there about all things Air-related. It would be a more productive place for you. 

Edited by SFCAcruiser
Typo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Fogfog said:

TYIA

We did a cruise from Tokyo to Hong Kong in 2015.  Great cruise.  We caught a direct flight from Atlanta to Tokyo and returned from Hong Kong via Korean Air Lines from HK to Seoul/Inchon then Seoul direct to Atlanta.  I don't remember finding any direct flights from HK to the east coast, particularly not Atlanta.

• 2 weeks later...

My non-pro tip: Air Canada has direct flights from Toronto to cities in Asia. We are in Cleveland so we flew AC through Toronto to Shanghai for a cruise on Millennium and then flew back from Hong Kong. Just a quick 40 minute flight from Clev to Tor then a 14-15 hour flight to Asia on a Boeing wide body. 

There are multiple flights to Asia including Hong Kong from New York JFK.

Cathay Pacific (the Hong Kong Based Carrier) is constantly rated among the top airlines in the world for service and comfort.  We have flown with them to Hong Kong and it was outstanding.  Expensive but very good.  If you can do that it would be non-stop from JFK and about the best service/comfort you can get.

Have read articles that say to "think creatively" and check prices for Bus. class:  Examples are "go the other way" thru Europe (as suggested above) OR fly the long-haul to another Asian city (at a cheaper price) and take a short connecting flight.  I know Singapore Air (usually to top rated airline) flys NY - Frankfort - Singapore and have read to look into that routing. 

Have flown Thai Airlines to Bangkok  -  pretty reasonable bis class and you are a fairly short flight from HK.

The China Airlines (China southern, China Eastern and Air China) sometimes offer good deals up front in Bus class.  Friend of mine travels to China several times per year and books these for the sleeper seats....he reports service is only ok....but he only wants to sleep and the bus seats are flat-beds.

There are websites and companies that find cheaper "premium fare" seats, and NY - HK should be a well traveled route.  You may want to look into that.

On 5/15/2019 at 10:16 AM, Fogfog said:

Try the Cruise Air forum.  Your post does not have to be about a specific airline to post there.  There are some very knowledgeable folks on that forum that can help you with options for international routings, pros and cons of various options, etc.

We are not east coast, but still were looking for Hong Kong flights from Chicago. We got fantastic reviews for Cathay Pacific, even continued in this thread, so we went with Premium Economy on this line.

One airline I was researching before buying was FinnAir. They offer flights taking the north pole route with a stop in Helsinki. I'm kind of dreading the 15 hour flight so their route interested me. Chicago to Helsinki - 9 hours.....6 hour layover....Helsinki to Hong Kong - 9 hours...it just broke the flight up into more manageable chunks if you're not one looking forward to the 15-16 hour flight. I didn't go with them simply because there were no flights available when I was needing to travel. From the research I did, they are pretty highly rated and I would have no issue using them in the future.

Having flown to Asia many times on business and leisure, I can tell you that no matter how you go....direct flight, stop overnight somewhere....economy, economy plus or business class....you are going to feel terrible for the day you arrive and the following day.  Net....it doesn't really matter how you go.....just grit your teeth and get there.  Yes, business class and lie flat seats help and that's all we book (air miles) now...but then you just feel a little less terrible for those days.

My advice...fly direct, if at all possible (just get it over with)....and make it a long vacation since your body already paid the price.    I would fly Cathay Pacific to HKG.  

Edited by ghstudio