HELP WITH ANTARTICA CRUISES

PoohUnderstands

The cruise I want is only available now in January, 2020.  My question is, if I want to do the same itinerary but in January, 2021, when approximately will cruises of this type first become available?  Want to get my special cabin!😉 Tried searching first but nothing popped up.  Thanks for all my informed helpers out there!

Pooh

actually the 2020-2021 South American cruise just opened this morning for Elites, so perhaps that's why Pooh Understands isn't seeing them.  Meanwhile the feeding frenzy for cabins has pretty much locked up the Princess website.  My TA has been trying to book a cruise tour for me all morning.  Hopefully things will iron out soon.

If I were to spend that much money I'd want to set foot on Antarctica, not

just sail by.

By treaty, only ships with 600 or fewer passengers can land passengers,

and then only 100 at time.  Only Pacific Princess could conceivably trim

down to 600, but it's busy doing other things, so you might wish to

consider --horrors!-- another cruise line.

Edited by Haboob
Line-break issues

OP,  take a look at Hurtigruten. For only about $3,000 more total than we would have paid on Princess or Celebrity, we’re doing a small ship sailing to Antarctica in February 2020 and will make landfall multiple times. It’s worth investigating. 

Just a note that the 2021 sailing on the Coral Princess will be the last it or any current Princess ship does to Antarctica.  The grandfather clause of the new Polar Code ends at the beginning of 2022, and thereafter no ship that does not meet the Polar Class 6 rating will be allowed south of 60* (the tip of the Antarctic peninsula is at 63* south).  That last sailing may book very fast.

8 hours ago, ohhbother said:

OP,  take a look at Hurtigruten. For only about $3,000 more total than we would have paid on Princess or Celebrity, we’re doing a small ship sailing to Antarctica in February 2020 and will make landfall multiple times. It’s worth investigating. 

You are quite correct.  We took a 13-day Antarctica cruise on Fram two years ago.  Landed about 10 times in various locations, to include south of the Antarctic Circle.  Wonderful ship, great crew, excellent food and a trip never to be forgotten.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Haboob said:

just sail by.

You know - I said that 10+ years ago when a friend went and had an amazing trip. Now 10+ years later, I still haven't gone. 

Though I agree - there are many lines out there - especially in the much smaller size that specialize in this type of trip.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

You know - I said that 10+ years ago when a friend went and had an amazing trip. Now 10+ years later, I still haven't gone. 

Though I agree - there are many lines out there - especially in the much smaller size that specialize in this type of trip.

But, again, many of those small ships will not be economical to upgrade to Polar Class, so they will be going away as well, and trips will be limited until newer expedition ships come on line.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

But, again, many of those small ships will not be economical to upgrade to Polar Class, so they will be going away as well, and trips will be limited until newer expedition ships come on line.

Thanks.

I went on Star Princess in 2008 on a 16 day Antarctica  "drive by" cruise, and we spent four days cruising the Antarctic Peninsula.  It was the most amazing out of this world cruise, even without landings, and stands out far above any of the over 60 cruises we have done.  A trip with landings would obviously be even better, but if you get a chance to go at all, even without landings, it will be the trip of a lifetime!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Haboob said:

just sail by.

I just did this Itinerary in Feb on Azamara which is 600 pax.  It's a consideration to the OP.

16 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Just a note that the 2021 sailing on the Coral Princess will be the last it or any current Princess ship does to Antarctica.  The grandfather clause of the new Polar Code ends at the beginning of 2022, and thereafter no ship that does not meet the Polar Class 6 rating will be allowed south of 60* (the tip of the Antarctic peninsula is at 63* south).  That last sailing may book very fast.

Thanks for the reminder. Glad we're booked on the Jan 2020 sailing on Coral before it's too late and it's a trip we're looking forward to.

• Like 1