Copies of documents?

FoxyGator

Hello!!

getting ready to board sensation tomorrow (eeek!! It’s finally here!! First cruise in 8 years!!) 

I’ve heard from some seasoned travelers in the family that we should take photocopies of our passport, license, and birth certificate and bring those on land and keep originals in the ship safe.  

Does that seem a little too much?  Is it even legal to only carry just photocopies?  We’re going to Bahamas and grand Turks. I’ve never done photocopies before on any cruise and was fine.  

Thanks!  

You could if you wanted to, but I don't have copies.  I only take my DL and S&S card on shore with me.

I do have a photo of my BC, Passport and DL in my phone.  I also have a copy of those documents in my email folder.

The reason you need id is not for local authorities, it's just for security to get on and off the ship.

For those locations you are only required to have your cruise card to exit/board the ship. Check your excursions to verify what ID they may require. I usually carry my DL simply because I always have it on me. Some like the passport copy in case something happens (missing the ship, trouble with authorities, you lose your real one). It is not a requirement. They are not needed until they're needed....

Think of it this way if at home and authorities asked you for your ID would they accept a photocopy or picture of it. Of course not, though it might buy you time to produce the original, and it is the same for travel. The only reason to have copies or pictures of your documents is if these things get lost or stolen and you need to reapply for them, as having the original numbers in addition to whatever support documents the issuing authority needs makes getting a new one easier.

On a side note copies and photos of important documents can be used by identity thieves, and since they are only worth the paper they are printed on reporting them as stolen does little to help you get new ones issued with new numbers should there ever be a question. 

Copies should be keep in a secure location that you, a trusted friend or relative can readily access should an emergency occur. Furthermore if you choose to have someone else safeguard the copies they should be able to get the copies to you in a secure timely manner, be it by physically delivery, snail mail, fax, or email. Of course you can also keep a photo of the items at a password protected source like your email or cloud, but don't have them as a just a photo saved directly to a device that can be access, hacked, or cloned like a mobile device. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maryred said:

Think of it this way if at home and authorities asked you for your ID would they accept a photocopy or picture of it. Of course not, though it might buy you time to produce the original, and it is the same for travel. The only reason to have copies or pictures of your documents is if these things get lost or stolen and you need to reapply for them, as having the original numbers in addition to whatever support documents the issuing authority needs makes getting a new one easier.

On a side note copies and photos of important documents can be used by identity thieves, and since they are only worth the paper they are printed on reporting them as stolen does little to help you get new ones issued with new numbers should there ever be a question. 

Copies should be keep in a secure location that you, a trusted friend or relative can readily access should an emergency occur. Furthermore if you choose to have someone else safeguard the copies they should be able to get the copies to you in a secure timely manner, be it by physically delivery, snail mail, fax, or email. Of course you can also keep a photo of the items at a password protected source like your email or cloud, but don't have them as a just a photo saved directly to a device that can be access, hacked, or cloned like a mobile device. 

The reason it is recommended to have a copy (or photo) of your passport comes from the State Department and it has nothing to do with finding the original numbers- if you need to apply for a replacement passport in an emergency then the copy of your passport can be used as proof of citizenship. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FoxyGator said:

Hello!!

getting ready to board sensation tomorrow (eeek!! It’s finally here!! First cruise in 8 years!!) 

I’ve heard from some seasoned travelers in the family that we should take photocopies of our passport, license, and birth certificate and bring those on land and keep originals in the ship safe.  

Does that seem a little too much?  Is it even legal to only carry just photocopies?  We’re going to Bahamas and grand Turks. I’ve never done photocopies before on any cruise and was fine.  

Thanks!  

Technically, you don't need a passport for closed-loop cruises. Those are cruises that leave from and come back to the same U.S. port. You can check in with your driver's license and a certified copy of your birth certificate. But many people prefer a passport when traveling outside the U.S. Whether or not you want to take your passport off the ship with you is a never-ending debate. Some won't leave the ship without it, others never take it. That's a personal choice. A copy of your passport won't allow you to travel. About the only thing a copy would be good for is to help expedite getting a new passport if you get left behind without yours. In an emergency, if you can't get back to the ship, it's to my understanding that the ship's security dept. can access your cabin safe to retrieve your passport and they will leave it with port authorities. When we travel with our passports, we're not even worried about birth certificates. As has been said, you will need to take your actual driver's license with you off the ship. That and your S&S card get you back on (or your passport, if you do carry it, and S&S card).

If you're traveling with kids under age 16, they can get back on the ship with just their S&S card. Parents vouch for minors under 16, so they don't need a photo ID. But those kids will still need the proper documentation for your initial check-in, like their own passport or certified birth certificate.

• Like 1

I believe if you step one foot on foreign soil, you should have a passport on you.  Many risk it without one and are fine but I like to be prepared and not worry about getting home if something crazy happens and the ship leaves.  I take a picture of my passport & DL and keep that in my phone, not paper copies.  Never even thought about a paper copy.

Good luck and have a great trip.

42 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The reason it is recommended to have a copy (or photo) of your passport comes from the State Department and it has nothing to do with finding the original numbers- if you need to apply for a replacement passport in an emergency then the copy of your passport can be used as proof of citizenship. 

If you read the insert this is printed on when the Passport is issued it states the copy should be kept in a secured location away from harm (like in a at home firebox or off site safety deposit box) or with a trusted person not traveling with you storing it similarly. 

Again if the copy or photo of this is lost, stolen, or copied it can not be reported to authorities as it holds no value as a proof of ID, to have your old # flagged as suspicious and a new Passport card or book issued.

To be able to get a no or low cost emergency replacement you will need to show proof of loss, either in the form of a police or security report or produce the damaged beyond use original, along with the legible copy or photo.

Edited by maryred
syntex

2 hours ago, jdemps said:

I believe if you step one foot on foreign soil, you should have a passport on you.  Many risk it without one and are fine but I like to be prepared and not worry about getting home if something crazy happens and the ship leaves.  I take a picture of my passport & DL and keep that in my phone, not paper copies.  Never even thought about a paper copy.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying you don't believe in stepping foot off the ship without your passport, but all you carry is a picture of it on your phone? If so, that's not the same as carrying the passport itself. If I misunderstood you, my apologies.

• Like 1

I always carry my passport when traveling. Even when flying inside the US. My state just started Real ID (Louisiana--sigh..), and since I fly quite a bit for work, I just use my passport for flying. Got into the habit of always keeping it in my briefcase. 

I have a picture in the cloud and a photocopy in the safe.

I think of it as you only need a passport in an emergency, like you miss the ship for some reason (late, arrested, hospital, etc.) and need to fly out. Copies are worthless when you need a passport. With that in mind, I would rather not have the added worry of getting an emergency passport on top of whatever problem caused me to need it. Especially the times when we took one of my kid's friends, I couldn't imagine the nightmare of trying to get an emergency passport. They weren't allowed to go without a passport.

So, passport works as ID everywhere and can keep a bad situation from being worse.

On 5/24/2019 at 11:18 AM, jdemps said:

I always leave my passport in the cabin safe when going on a Carnival cruise. Remember the cruise ship will get the passport to you if there is an emergency. There are some cruises (and tours) where the cruise ships keeps the passenger's passports in there position.  

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

6 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

I always leave my passport in the cabin safe when going on a Carnival cruise. Remember the cruise ship will get the passport to you if there is an emergency. There are some cruises (and tours) where the cruise ships keeps the passenger's passports in there position.  

As long as it is left in the safe any cruise line's security will turn it over to the port agent, along with any other valuable documents or folios in there. BUT all else in the safe like jewelry or credit cards, and things in your cabin will have to be picked up at your departure port terminal from the lost bag claims area, upon return to the USA (though I'm sure they will gladly pass an inflated cost of shipping them to your home if you wish so).

On 5/24/2019 at 12:15 PM, Organized Chaos said:

. You can check in with your driver's license and a certified copy of your birth certificate.

. But those kids will still need the proper documentation for your initial check-in, like their own passport or certified birth certificate.

According to the Carnival site, the birth certificate can be a plain copy.  It does not have to be certified.  

From their site:  

Birth Certificate Information

The following are acceptable:

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics 
  • A clear, legible copy (photocopy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified. 

22 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

According to the Carnival site, the birth certificate can be a plain copy.  It does not have to be certified.  

From their site:  

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics 
  • A clear, legible copy (photocopy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified. 

What people receive from the issuing government authority is a certified copy and it's the only way to get a certified copy. Your original birth certificate remains on file with the government. What most people call their "original" birth certificate is actually just the certified copy they received. I presented a photocopy of my birth certificate to board Pride in 2012 and no one batted an eye. 

On 5/24/2019 at 9:32 AM, FoxyGator said:

I’ve heard from some seasoned travelers in the family that we should take photocopies of our passport, license, and birth certificate and bring those on land and keep originals in the ship safe.  Is it even legal to only carry just photocopies?  We’re going to Bahamas and grand Turks. I’ve never done photocopies before on any cruise and was fine.

Simply put - carry your passport ashore.  It is Friday in the Bahamas and your taxi driver has an accident that delays your return to the port and you miss the ship.  With your photocopy, the U.S. Consultant will not be able to replace your passport until Monday or Tuesday at best.  Only then can you travel back to the U.S. with the experience of a ruined vacation.  And you didn't carry your passport (that you already paid for) ashore because...?

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

From their site:  

I forgot that they changed it 2-3 years ago. Before that change, the only wording was "certified" and/or "issued by a government agency." It was a huge discussion on here at the time. People were confused by the word, copy, but the fact that it said a copy "issued by a government agency" meant a certified copy, not just one done on a home printer. Then they added the part allowing homemade copies. We don't use our BC's, so I completely forgot about the change.

1 hour ago, HuliHuli said:

Simply put - carry your passport ashore.  It is Friday in the Bahamas and your taxi driver has an accident that delays your return to the port and you miss the ship.  With your photocopy, the U.S. Consultant will not be able to replace your passport until Monday or Tuesday at best.  Only then can you travel back to the U.S. with the experience of a ruined vacation.  And you didn't carry your passport (that you already paid for) ashore because...?

It's always going to be a personal preference. Ship security can retrieve your passport from your cabin safe and leave it with port authorities. Why do some people choose not to take it? If you took a survey, my guess for the most common reason is the fear of it being lost or stolen. Maybe they're just going to the beach at the port, only want to take beach gear with them, and don't want to leave something as valuable as a passport unattended.

On 5/26/2019 at 10:15 AM, Purvis1231 said:

Where is it in the terms and conditions that they WILL do this?

They will most likely do this.  And they will try to do this.  But it is not guaranteed.

I am not saying your should or should not carry your passport off the ship, but do want to be accurate that it COULD happen that they do not get your passport to the port agent before they leave.

Carnival will get your passport to you in an emergency- You fall and break your leg while on a non-Carnival excursion and are  taken to the hospital. You call the port agent listed on the daily handout. The ships chief of security and another officers enters your cabin and takes your passport (and other stuff you requested) to the port agent who has it delivered to the hospital. IF the ship has sailed. It could be transferred to the pilot boat. If that is missed then the ship could overnight it to you from the next port. None of this is ideal but if it is an emergency Carnival will help you plus many of us buy trip insurance that will also help. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

You are doing a "closed loop" cruise and do not need a passport for this cruise. However, if you need to leave the ship and fly home for any reason, a passport is required.

If you have a passport, bring it to board the ship. Then leave it in the safe, where it will be the most secure. If you will miss the ship for any reason, try to contact the port authority (the number will be published on the daily newsletter/schedule you receive in your room). Even if you cannot contact the ship, security will open your safe and if your passport is there, they will retrieve it and give it to the port authority for you to pick up when you finally arrive. 

Best to not bring your passport on shore unless required by local laws. If it is in the safe, you will always know where it is. 

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Where is it in the terms and conditions that they WILL do this?

They will most likely do this.  And they will try to do this.  But it is not guaranteed.

I am not saying your should or should not carry your passport off the ship, but do want to be accurate that it COULD happen that they do not get your passport to the port agent before they leave.

Give it a break!!! EVERY passport thread you trot out this "not guaranteed" blather. I have NEVER heard of a single case where this was not done. Have you? If you can't trust they can handle a simple task like get the passport as they tell us they will do, then you shouldn't be trusting them that they will not poison you by serving you spoiled food. 

You could also clutch your passport tightly against your chest and get hit by a meteorite while holding it. The smoking remains of your passport could then be used to identify the bits of pieces of you scattered over the area, I guess. Anything is possible. Do you recommend constantly worrying about everything every minute of the day? Sheesh. Have some faith in people!!!!

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 5:04 AM, HuliHuli said:

Would love to see a study that compared the number of passengers who missed the ship while without their passports, with the number who had their passports stolen or lost while in port.  Sadly we will never see it, so we will continue to have this ongoing difference of opinion.  There is NO correct answer, there is only what you feel most comfortable with.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 12:09 PM, SantaFeFan said:

Give it a break!!! EVERY passport thread you trot out this "not guaranteed" blather. I have NEVER heard of a single case where this was not done. Have you? If you can't trust they can handle a simple task like get the passport as they tell us they will do, then you shouldn't be trusting them that they will not poison you by serving you spoiled food. 

You could also clutch your passport tightly against your chest and get hit by a meteorite while holding it. The smoking remains of your passport could then be used to identify the bits of pieces of you scattered over the area, I guess. Anything is possible. Do you recommend constantly worrying about everything every minute of the day? Sheesh. Have some faith in people!!!!

Why don't you give it a break?  Why cannot you understand that this is not guaranteed, and just say the PROBABLY WILL or TYPICALLY WILL?

You keep stating WILL, when this "service" is not mentioned in the terms and conditions.

So you know of details of every time someone missed a ship?  All over the world?

Personally, if I miss the ship and my passport is not delivered to me, I am suing YOU for stating that this WILL happen.

Edited by SRF