Princess transfers to Vancouver airport

Alaska05

I'm considering booking the Princess transfer when we dock in Vancouver to the airport.

Does anyone have any recent experience (I know the season is young).  Will we have to collect our bags after we get off the ship, or will they go from our cabin directly to the bus.  I think we have to clear customs, so maybe we have to collect our bags before getting on the bus.

We have a late afternoon flight, but I just read a post from someone who got off the ship yesterday that there was a 45 minute wait for taxi.

13 minutes ago, Alaska05 said:

I'm considering booking the Princess transfer when we dock in Vancouver to the airport.

Does anyone have any recent experience (I know the season is young).  Will we have to collect our bags after we get off the ship, or will they go from our cabin directly to the bus.  I think we have to clear customs, so maybe we have to collect our bags before getting on the bus.

We have a late afternoon flight, but I just read a post from someone who got off the ship yesterday that there was a 45 minute wait for taxi.

I'm the one who posted that on my blog. Not fun. I had the disembarkation paperwork there, too that had the times and where the luggage was for the groups. You might check it to see where transfer people picked up the luggage. I don't remember offhand. 

14 minutes ago, idahospud said:

I'm the one who posted that on my blog. Not fun. I had the disembarkation paperwork there, too that had the times and where the luggage was for the groups. You might check it to see where transfer people picked up the luggage. I don't remember offhand. 

That was quick.  I know you just got home.  Yes, I got the info from your blog.  I want to thank you for posting your blog.  It has been so helpful since we're doing the southbound on the Royal on June 1.  Eventhough this will be our 8th Alaska cruise (7 on Princess), it is always helpful to get up to date real life information.  I've already printed out the disembarkation page that you posted.  We have a 4:11 pm flight from Vancouver airport.  I just checked and the disembarkation paperwork shows people with Princess transfer to YVR have to pick up luggage at the cruise ship terminal.  Darn!

Edited by Alaska05

18 minutes ago, Alaska05 said:

It's super easy to just take the sky train to YVR.

For sky train, take the escalators to underground shops and follow signs to the correct line (sky train maps are available online). Trains have ample space for luggage. In 2018, day passes cost $9.75 CAD for unlimited use on trains and buses. I think it was about $7-8 CAD for a one-way trip to YVR. Canada Line also goes right inside the YVR airport - about a 25 minute ride from downtown.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

For sky train, take the escalators to underground shops and follow signs to the correct line (sky train maps are available online). Trains have ample space for luggage. In 2018, day passes cost $9.75 CAD for unlimited use on trains and buses. I think it was about $7-8 CAD for a one-way trip to YVR. Canada Line also goes right inside the YVR airport - about a 25 minute ride from downtown.

How do you pay?  We will have no Canadian money with us.  Do you purchase at a kiosk with credit card?  Thanks.

59 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

It is even easier to book a private car to the airport!😃

1 hour ago, Alaska05 said:

That was quick.  I know you just got home.  Yes, I got the info from your blog.  I want to thank you for posting your blog.  It has been so helpful since we're doing the southbound on the Royal on June 1.  Eventhough this will be our 8th Alaska cruise (7 on Princess), it is always helpful to get up to date real life information.  I've already printed out the disembarkation page that you posted.  We have a 4:11 pm flight from Vancouver airport.  I just checked and the disembarkation paperwork shows people with Princess transfer to YVR have to pick up luggage at the cruise ship terminal.  Darn!

Glad you found the blog helpful.

Even though we didn't disembark until 11:20 and had that 45 minute taxi wait we still made it in plenty of time for our 3:05 flight. It was definitely the longest taxi line we had in Vancouver. We thought about going up to street level to catch a taxi but it was pouring rain and we didn't want to dig out the jackets. 

For those wanting to know what a 45 minute wait for a taxi at a cruise port looks like, here ya go...

IMG_5104.JPG

Edited by idahospud

1 hour ago, Alaska05 said:

How do you pay?  We will have no Canadian money with us.  Do you purchase at a kiosk with credit card?  Thanks.

Yes. If you have a US American credit card, such as Visa, you can use it. Even if yours charges a foreign transaction fee, it's still a cheap and easy way to get to the airport, with plenty of room for baggage.

When there were 8 of us disembarking a cruise down from Alaska, we did the private transfer thing. With traffic, it took considerably longer than the train. However, when Hubby and I have done cheap last-minute repo cruises to or from LA, we found that the sky train works best for us.

YMMV. Enjoy!

Edited by MamaFej
clarification re credit card
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Yes. If you have a US American credit card, such as Visa, you can use it. Even if yours charges a foreign transaction fee, it's still a cheap and easy way to get to the airport, with plenty of room for baggage.

When there were 8 of us disembarking a cruise down from Alaska, we did the private transfer thing. With traffic, it took considerably longer than the train. However, when Hubby and I have done cheap last-minute repo cruises to or from LA, we found that the sky train works best for us.

YMMV. Enjoy!

Thanks so much.  We're considering it.  At this point, I just want the easiest way that requires the least amount of us schlepping our luggage.

10 minutes ago, Alaska05 said:

Thanks so much.  We're considering it.  At this point, I just want the easiest way that requires the least amount of us schlepping our luggage.

You're very welcome! We travel light most of the time: one carry-on roller bag and a backpack each. On those short (3-5 day) cheap repositioning cruises, it's generally just a backpack each. Luggage schlepping is pretty easy. Since you are on Princess, and have access to laundry machines, you can definitely get away with packing pretty light, if you choose.

For us, the benefits of traveling light outweigh the minor hassles of hand or ScrubbaBag washing and having stuff hanging to dry. For others, not dealing with laundry at all is worth bringing extra bags, and planning land transportation accordingly. Everyone makes the choices that work best for them.

Bon Voyage!

3 minutes ago, mrell345 said:

US$ I presume?

Thanks

Yes, at least for me (American).  I found it on my cruise personalizer as something I could add (I booked direct with Princess).  I believe if you booked with a TA you need to ask them to add it.

We just take a taxi.

It about $35 and a 25 minute ride to YVR.

When the cab line in that lower level gets like that photo posted above we just walk outside (there is a nice sidewalk with no stairs that leads right out of the garage area) and out to the front of the Pan Pacific Hotel. Hail a cab out there. There are lots of cabs on that main street and they are always picking up hotel guests.

We just take the skytrain.  Short walk with luggage, get on the correct train, get off at the airport, walk down to departure area.  No worry about traffic, stop and go driving and different views of the area. All for little money.

• Like 2

We took the SkyTrain when we got off the Royal a couple of weeks ago. It was $2.95/person and super easy (you only need a 1 zone ticket on the weekends and there is no airport add fare when headed to the airport). The ticket machines are easy and take credit cards. They had two people standing there to help for those that needed assistance.

We selected an early walk off group and disembarkation could not have been easier and was super quick. It took us a grand total of 1hr 15min from the time we stepped off the ship to the time we were sitting down in an airport lounge after clearing US customs and immigration.  

38 minutes ago, minabruuke said:

We took the SkyTrain when we got off the Royal a couple of weeks ago. It was $2.95/person and super easy (you only need a 1 zone ticket on the weekends and there is no airport add fare when headed to the airport). The ticket machines are easy and take credit cards. They had two people standing there to help for those that needed assistance.

We selected an early walk off group and disembarkation could not have been easier and was super quick. It took us a grand total of 1hr 15min from the time we stepped off the ship to the time we were sitting down in an airport lounge after clearing US customs and immigration.  

Thank you.  That information is very helpful.  I think we're going to give it a try.  Our city doesn't have any mass transit so we're not used to this mode of transportation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

We just take the skytrain.  Short walk with luggage, get on the correct train, get off at the airport, walk down to departure area.  No worry about traffic, stop and go driving and different views of the area. All for little money.

Thank you.  Very helpful 

Late to the party, but it sounds like you've already been given most of the info you need - I'll just add that long taxi queues are absolutely the norm on multiple ship days (we have up to 4 docked at once this year). If you Self-disembark then in general you'll find queues short everywhere whether it's a 1 ship or 3 ship day, but as soon as you need help with luggage you are guaranteed to be among crowds. In addition to cabs and SkyTrain, but not as expensive as your own limo, there is one private shuttle that just goes back & forth from pier to airport - I believe they're charging CAD$18pp, so for 2 people that's pretty much a wash versus a cab if you don't think you can handle your own bags on SkyTrain (but NB: limited buses for this, so you may end up standing around just as long as the cab queue). Given that cruise shuttles are charging literally double that price, with zero extra convenience, they're simply a license to take money from all the ignorant cruisers who do not do a lick of research and assume that the cruiseline will provide a reasonable value service.

I used the transfer in May.  I did it because I was solo and did not want to carry my own luggage off the ship. I had a rolling carry-on, a medium sized suitcase, and a grocery bag.  I love the Sky Train and used it to go to the outlet mall since I was at the airport WAY too early, but was apprehensive about rolling my luggage on and off.  If I were with a group I would have definitely used the Sky Train but the $29 was worth it to me for never having to pick up my luggage with a bad back.  I did have to roll it from the collection area to the bus.  

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2019 at 7:00 PM, CynCyn said:

I used the transfer in May.  I did it because I was solo and did not want to carry my own luggage off the ship. I had a rolling carry-on, a medium sized suitcase, and a grocery bag.  I love the Sky Train and used it to go to the outlet mall since I was at the airport WAY too early, but was apprehensive about rolling my luggage on and off.  If I were with a group I would have definitely used the Sky Train but the $29 was worth it to me for never having to pick up my luggage with a bad back.  I did have to roll it from the collection area to the bus.  

Wondering if all your luggage goes on the bus with you? Or where do you pick it up at the airport? We have included transfers. We are staying a few days after our cruise at a hotel near the airport. So we want to use our transfer to the airport and then call the hotel shuttle to pick us up. 

Also not sure how to fill out the arrival/ departure info on the cruise planner. We want to use the transfer since it is paid for, but not sure if we should but a “fake” flight and time on the Princess flight departure form for disembarkation day. If I put a our actual flight a few days after disembarkation day, I’m afraid they won’t let us on the 🚌?

Thanks

We did the Princess transfer and did the pre-clearing of Canadian customs with the form they sent to our room so it was super easy.  We basically walked from the ship down an escalator and on to a bus.  When we got to the airport we picked up our luggage on one of the free carts that the airport provides so it was really easy.

It made sense for us since we had a couple suitcases and big car seat backpack that we didn't want to haul on our own.  

Thanks for skytrain links. Since our transfer is included in our cruisetour we want to

use the Princess transfer. But we will be staying near the airport and will use the skytrain

to see some sights!