AARP CARNIVAL GIFT CARDS

Hotdog 52

4 minutes ago, Hotdog 52 said:

Just ordered 4 Carnival gift cards.  How long does it usually take to receive them?  I have about 18 days until final payment.  Think they will arrive in time?

Thanks everyone for your input.

I recently ordered four gift cards from AARP and I received them exactly one week after I received the email telling me that they had shipped.  

3 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

If any of the cards are for $500, they ALL should be shipped UPS and a tracking email will also be sent.  A signature is required on delivery.

Sometimes the email doesn't get sent out with the $500 ones.  My last couple of experiences were UPS sending me notification through the Mychoice UPS account.  Of course when I go out to the AARP site they show shipped on there, lol.  I've got one being delivered tomorrow that was ordered on 5/24/19 and shipped on 5/28/19 with delivery on 5/30/19.  Just a point of reference.

Here’s what I want to know: what are the advantages of purchasing Carnival gift cards through AARP as opposed to going to a Target, Walmart or Bed Bath & Beyond brick and mortar store and buying the cards from their gift card rack? 

Someone school me in as I’d like to know if AARP is an advantageous option for my parents. 

7 minutes ago, Erik101 said:

Here’s what I want to know: what are the advantages of purchasing Carnival gift cards through AARP as opposed to going to a Target, Walmart or Bed Bath & Beyond brick and mortar store and buying the cards from their gift card rack? 

Someone school me in as I’d like to know if AARP is an advantageous option for my parents. 

Because AARP sells them at 10% retail price.  So if your parents cruise quite frequently, they can save 10% off their entire cruise purchase price.  It does add up over time, it's easy to earn the points online to be able to purchase the gift cards.  So for a $4,000 cruise ex. you save $400, easy money.  Also you can take the gift cards onboard and have them applied to your S&S account for onboard expenses.

16 minutes ago, Erik101 said:

We saved about $300 by getting them from AARP- you don't have to be an AARP member either. Anyone can go online and earn points toward the discount. 

Also, if you have a target red card, you can use that to buy the card from target at a 5% discount if you want one from a brick and mortar.

10 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

If any of the cards are for $500, they ALL should be shipped UPS and a tracking email will also be sent.  A signature is required on delivery.

I have purchased the 500 dollar ones and AARP never sends tracking info and it is not on their website either. I signed up for UPS for free and they will notify me when it is shipping and when it is due to be delivered. Works great because I divert it to a UPS store so I can pick it up after work.

3 hours ago, Erik101 said:

I have no idea how old you are but the aarp discount is for everyone. It is not age related. You just take the quiz and buy the cards at a discount.

2 minutes ago, desiree741 said:

How do you earn points?

You just click through some quizzes and articles. You can get 0/10 correct and they still give you the points. 5000 points buys you the $500 gc for $450 (plus a bit of change for tax)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n6uqqq said:

I have purchased the 500 dollar ones and AARP never sends tracking info and it is not on their website either. I signed up for UPS for free and they will notify me when it is shipping and when it is due to be delivered. Works great because I divert it to a UPS store so I can pick it up after work.

I have received the email notification and tracking # before.  I guess it’s hit or miss.

49 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

I have no idea how old you are but the aarp discount is for everyone. It is not age related. You just take the quiz and buy the cards at a discount.

I’m 35yo. Thanks for your reply and to everyone else who answered my question!  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

How many $500. Cards do they allow you to buy at one time and do you need to wait a certain amount of time to buy more?

I put 10 in my cart and it allowed it but I didn't need that many. Was curious as to how many I could get in one purchase.

49 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

I have received the email notification and tracking # before.  I guess it’s hit or miss.

You are fortunate. Last several times no tracking provided for me.

If you'd like to learn a little more about the AARP Rewards for Good program, check out my post in the main AARP thread here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2126427-aarp-gift-cards/page/115/?tab=comments#comment-57127082

It's a long thread, so you can start at the end and work your way backwards just a little bit and there should be posts talking about it.

You don't have to purchase a $500 card for it to be shipped UPS and require a signature. If your order is $500 or more, then that's when it ships UPS and requires a signature. Even if it's 5 $100 cards. Orders under $500 are shipped USPS and no signature is required. I once saw someone on here who said they ordered $2,500 worth of cards, so if that's true, I don't think there's a limit. And I'm pretty sure you don't have to wait between orders.

You don't need to be a member of AARP to join their Rewards for Good program. You just have to register a free Rewards for Good account. If you are a member, you get more points for each quiz you take. You also don't need to be 50 years old to join AARP anymore. I joined when I was 42. Membership is only $16/year and there are all kinds of member benefits. In our case, with the money we saved last year on a rental car discount and AARP hotel rates, it paid for our membership several times over.

7 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

I put 10 in my cart and it allowed it but I didn't need that many. Was curious as to how many I could get in one purchase.

You can put them in your cart but if you do not have the points to purchase that many they will not allow the actual sale.

• Like 1

I love saving money on the gift cards. We have 4 cabins on our next cruise and have saved over $900. AARP Rewards for Good, Allstate Drivewise, Streetwise, Newegg (sometimes) and many grocery stores have them at 10% discount. There are promo codes put out regularly. We started a small group on FB and it has grown to help people find the promo codes and other discounts. Anyone can join who would like to. Carnival Cruise (Tips, Gift Card Discount Info, and General Information).

Edited by Da629

11 hours ago, HeyNowMama1315 said:

You just click through some quizzes and articles. You can get 0/10 correct and they still give you the points. 5000 points buys you the $500 gc for $450 (plus a bit of change for tax)

You mean a bit of change for shipping ... there is no taxes on these purchases

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Da629 said:

I love saving money on the gift cards. We have 4 cabins on our next cruise and have saved over $900. AARP Rewards for Good, Allstate Drivewise, Streetwise, Newegg (sometimes) and many grocery stores have them at 10% discount. There are promo codes put out regularly. We started a small group on FB and it has grown to help people find the promo codes and other discounts. Anyone can join who would like to. Carnival Cruise (Tips, Gift Card Discount Info, and General Information).

What is streetwise

StreetWise is a stand alone driving app. You earn points by safe driving practices. It is currently being phased out or revamped...so I don't think they are taking new subscribers.