AARP CARNIVAL GIFT CARDS

Hotdog 52

We've been taking advantage of some advice I was given from another CC user a while back. We book our cruises well in advance, usually a year or more. Instead of stocking up on a bunch of gift cards and paying on the cruise early on, we wait. If something happens and we can't go on the cruise, we don't want a bunch of money tied up in gift cards. We save the money that we'll use to buy the gift cards, then buy them as the final payment date gets closer. We just give ourselves plenty of time to have them shipped and account for any time we might need waiting for them to get more in stock.

10 hours ago, Kamananui said:

Ok, I signed up for The Rewards for Good Program and have earned 10,000 points so far.  Now if I order $1000 in gift cards, I can use this to pay for the drinks program and put a few on our S&S account?  Plus I can buy more to pay for future cruises, is that correct?

You can use the gift cards for pretty much everything. Paying on your cruise balance, Cheers, an internet plan, excursions, purchasing from the online Fun Shops, buy Cruise Cash (just remember that's non-refundable), etc.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 8:10 PM, jantoni said:

Final payment day is on June 28, should I be OK if I'm able to order them at some point later this week?

My final payment is the 21st.

I ordered the 6th and received the 11th.

$2700.00 worth.

23 hours ago, Da629 said:

You can call the rewards for good program and ask them to add the points to your account. I have done that twice, when they were missing.

Does anyone know how Carnival will send a deposit refund made with a gift card for a canceled cruise? I know they send in the form of gift cards, but will it be UPS, USPS, FedEx——and will I need (hopefully) to sign for them?

On 6/11/2019 at 9:40 PM, mexicobob said:

I am a member of AARP but have never taking advantage of this offer mainly because I was not aware of it.  
Something does not sound right to me.  You give them $450 and they give you a card worth $500.  How can they do this and not go broke?
Potentially sounds like a hassle also.  Maybe I am missing something. 

You need to earn points to be able to buy the cards. Easiest way is to take quizzes on their site. Members earn more points per quiz than non-members. Members pay membership fees. They make money. They run ads on their site. They make money. You also earn points by purchasing things through their site. They make money. etc.

AARP is far from going broke. And yes I purchase Carnival gift cards through them and 'earn' $50 dollars each time. I do not worry about their financial status. ☺️

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, 3redheads said:

Today is 10 business days since they mailed out my $300 in cards.  If I don't receive them today, they escalate the issue.  I ordered May 30th.  This is very frustrating.

And I just spoke with them and they said I would hear back within 5 business days, which is another week.  If they send new ones, I have to wait more time.  For those up against a time limit who are not ordering over $500, be advised this may happen.

3 hours ago, mara93 said:

Is the electronic version of the gift cards no longer offered? 

They were available a few months ago, but they didn't last long. Haven't seen them since. I was hoping that once peak cruising season rolled around, they'd get the e-cards back in stock, but so far no luck.

If I get the $500 gift card, bring it onboard, and apply it to my onboard account can it be used to pay the gratuities? I know some things (like OBC can’t be used for gratuities). Thank You! 

Edited by Methosage

2 minutes ago, Methosage said:

If I get the $500 gift card, bring it onboard, and apply it to my onboard account can it be used to pay the gratuities? I know some things (like OBC can’t be used for gratuities). Thank You! 

Yes, any Carnival expense before sailing or on board.

• Like 1

this is fantastic to learn!!! i LOVE finding ways to save $$ for vacations and this makes me so happy. i just signed up and can already buy 2- $500 which is enough to cover my cruise.plus i can charge it to my credit card and get my points on my card. double bonus for me. thanks for the tips. 

• Like 1

I read through this thread and did not see this question, so sorry if it was asked previously...

I just received my $500  AARP gift card, and will apply it to my S&S card.  If I do not use the entire amount, will I get a refund or credit for the remaining balance ? 

....or is it a "use it or lose it" type of credit ?

One more question...  If I go to the Carnival web site to check the balance of my gift card, it asks for a PIN number.  I do not remember AARP asking for a pin number, so I'm confused on how to set that up.  I called Carnival, and they were clueless  😄

2 hours ago, Barsnikel said:

I read through this thread and did not see this question, so sorry if it was asked previously...

I just received my $500  AARP gift card, and will apply it to my S&S card.  If I do not use the entire amount, will I get a refund or credit for the remaining balance ? 

....or is it a "use it or lose it" type of credit ?

You do not "lose" the remaining balance if you do not use the entire amount on the gift card.  The remaining balance remains on the card.  So if you have a $500 gift card and use $400 of it, the remaining $100 balance is still on the card.  

Edited by Florida Paesano
  • Like 1

I ordered a $500 card a few days ago.  It was shipped via USPS which is new to me for the $500 cards.  In the past for me, anything less than $500 was shipped USPS and $500 or over was shipped UPS.  Scheduled to arrive on Monday.  Just a heads up for those who order $500 or more and expect UPS.  Likely that they will continue to use UPS, but may use USPS for some $500 and over.

51 minutes ago, Florida Paesano said:

You do not "lose" the remaining balance if you do not use the entire amount on the gift card.  The remaining balance remains on the card.  So if you have a $500 gift card and use $400 of it, the remaining $100 balance is still on the card.  

That is true if you use only part of the balance pre cruise for purchases. If applied to the S&S card at checkin or on board, I assume you apply the entire balance (just thought of that possibility of partial use) and once applied is non refundable—normally.

Maybe you can but cruise cash ahead of time for a partial amt.

1 hour ago, Florida Paesano said:

When I apply a gift card to my account and don't use it all...which is almost every cruise...they send me a new card with the amount I didn't use. They do tell you to keep the old one just in case. But for me it's never been on the old one.

I have a final payment due soon and when I apply the cards and then go to pay remaining amount on a credit card, it shows the full amount due, not the amount minus cards. I’m probably missing something, so thought I would check here, before inputting cards a 3rd time.

Thanks

EDIT....Figured it out. Had to make 2 separate transactions.

Edited by crzndeb

It's on! I would call Carnival and ask them if the cards are showing up on your account. That's why I always print out the confirmation and save the card that I used. I put it in an envelope and staple it to the confirmation paper.