Travel Insurance

AllisonJames

There may be some stuff on our credit cards (I hope I never need to check) but we self-insure (that is, we don't buy insurance).  Two reasons:

1) Insurance is inherently a bad deal--otherwise those companies couldn't stay in business.

2) I've seen enough cases where insurance companies try to weasel out of paying claims... and succeed. Depending on what country you live in, "Insurance" is regulated at the national and/or regional level, but the regulations aren't there to protect policy holders. Insurance companies whose staffers whose jobs are to try to find ways to deny claims.

It's one thing if you tell me "I know insurance companies are turning a profit and I'm paying too much but I'm willing to pay a little too much just so I have the piece of mind"--that's your philosophical choice and I respect it. It's another thing for you to tell me all that, and still get stiffed. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t dare risk not being insured. In the worst case scenario, if one of us needed medical repatriation, it would probably cost us everything we have, including our house - not a risk we’re willing to take (especially given the figures quoted in earlier posts).

Our annual travel insurance, through the bank, covers us each for up to £10,000,000 for medical treatment including repatriation and is very reasonable - and gives us peace of mind.

2 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I wouldn’t dare risk not being insured. In the worst case scenario, if one of us needed medical repatriation, it would probably cost us everything we have, including our house - not a risk we’re willing to take (especially given the figures quoted in earlier posts).

Our annual travel insurance, through the bank, covers us each for up to £10,000,000 for medical treatment including repatriation and is very reasonable - and gives us peace of mind.

Totally agree, anyone that says that they don't need insurance are either very silly or very wealthy.

Edited by Bloodaxe

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

Totally agree, anyone that says that they don't need insurance are either very silly or very wealthy.

Couldn't agree more Eric. As you know, I had to cancel my May 28th cruise due to a very unexpected medical emergency. My Insurance company have been excellent and are processing my claim this week. They have covered my travel to Heathrow, my flights and the complete cost of the cruise and have been very helpful. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2019 at 8:39 AM, artistdld said:

Does anyone know what the Azamara "CruiseCare" insurance package costs?  Thanks so much.

COST OF VOYAGE CRUISECARE PRICE
$4,001–$4,500 $339
$4,501–$5,000 $379
$5,001–$5,500 $419
$5,501–$6,000 $459
$6,001–$6,500 $539
$6,501–$7,000 $569
$7,001–$7,500 $599
$7,501–$8,000 $639
$8,001–$8,500 $679
$8,501–$9,000 $709
$9,001–$9,500 $749
$9,501–$10,000 $789
$10,000+ $799

One benefit of cruisecare is they have "cancel any reason" insurance-- you get 75% back as a credit against a future cruise if you can't make a cruise but your reason doesn't satisfy the criteria for a full refund.  You can get that option on private insurance policies, but it usually adds several hundred dollars to the premium (although of course with private insurance you get cash back, not a credit for Azamara). 

"
Cancel for any reason" is super important!! The last 2 cruises I have had to cancel was because my DH had a "pre-existing" condition...which is NOT covered by the "credit card" coverage..based on visits with those diagnosis in play!! I learned a very important lesson!!! LuAnn

1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

"
Cancel for any reason" is super important!! The last 2 cruises I have had to cancel was because my DH had a "pre-existing" condition...which is NOT covered by the "credit card" coverage..based on visits with those diagnosis in play!! I learned a very important lesson!!! LuAnn

Pre-existing condition coverage is different than "cancel for any reason" policy.  For us, "cancel for any reason" coverage is simply too expensive.  We purchase plans that have pre-existing coverage as long as the policy is purchased within two weeks of the deposit for the trip.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hiccups said:

Pre-existing condition coverage is different than "cancel for any reason" policy.  For us, "cancel for any reason" coverage is simply too expensive.  We purchase plans that have pre-existing coverage as long as the policy is purchased within two weeks of the deposit for the trip.

'Cancel for any reason' coverage does not cover 100% – so for those complaining that Azamara wouldn't cover airfare change costs between 365 and 331 days = no help.  But the Allianz policy that US travel agents sell has the 'Pre-existing condition Waiver' even if taken out at final payment, as long as you are able to travel on that day.  We take out that policy when we buy airfare, for a minimal amount of coverage, then increase at cruise final payment to cover all non-refundable costs – the total cost is the same, but we keep our money as long as possible and if we cancel early we can choose whether to invoke the insurance [if covered] or eat any minor costs and roll the policy over to our next cruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

'Cancel for any reason' coverage does not cover 100% – so for those complaining that Azamara wouldn't cover airfare change costs between 365 and 331 days = no help.  But the Allianz policy that US travel agents sell has the 'Pre-existing condition Waiver' even if taken out at final payment, as long as you are able to travel on that day.  We take out that policy when we buy airfare, for a minimal amount of coverage, then increase at cruise final payment to cover all non-refundable costs – the total cost is the same, but we keep our money as long as possible and if we cancel early we can choose whether to invoke the insurance [if covered] or eat any minor costs and roll the policy over to our next cruise.

Thanks Jazz...I too finally figured that out!!! :)  LuAhn

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I didn’t realize one could increase the amount of coverage  after one bought the insurance.    That’s been my annoyance at buying insurance through cruise companies (not Azamara necessarily).  My experience has been to get the pre existing condition waived, they always charge you based on the entire cruise amount at the time you book... when there often is no penalty with some cruise companies to cancel.  Then later we buy air and pay for pre- and post-cruise expenses which aren’t included.  

Your experience seems to solve the problem of not paying up front for things you don’t need. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

The biggest problem with buying through the cruise company is that their 'any reason' coverage doesn't even pay in cash, just in a credit toward a future cruise.  OTOH their policies are generally cheaper than this Allianz policy that I buy.

I have had good experience with Allianz – in 2017 DW was diagnosed with A-Fib two weeks before we were scheduled to fly to the Italian Lakes District for a hiking trip with Backroads.  Her doctor advised against travel until he could get her stabilized – and Allianz paid us every penny with no trouble.  That ratified my policy of always taking out a policy for every major trip.  [It also coincidentally paid back all the premiums we had paid out up to that point!]

• Like 1

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice...just closing the loop.  I did get a quote for an annual policy from Allianz but the cost was too expensive for only a few trips a year — with Allianz, you have to get the highest level to get the total trip coverage needed to cover the total cost of an AZ cruise as the lower levels only provide around $3,000-$5,000 per trip. So I just went with s single trip policy with the online broker I always used.  I had a minor over the holidays due to a trip delay and have no complaints about the process — very prompt reimbursement!

Maybe an annual policy will work for us when we can travel more often.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 11:30 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I had heard of doing this, but we had always just priced a policy based on our expected trip cost and paid upfront.  Just had an experience this week that will have me re-thinking this, at least if we're booking with Celebrity.  I don't think it's applicable for Azamara's Choice Air program, but  X has a "book now, pay later" policy for Flights by Celebrity that allows you to take advantage of price drops in airfare, but locks you in at the booking price if the fare increases.

Anyway, we booked our November Caribbean cruise with flights on X about three weeks ago, and based on the airfare at the time, purchased our insurance.  We've since had two price drops in the airfare for a total of almost $600.  Out of curiosity I re-ran the numbers for our insurance, and while it doesn't look like our policy price would have changed in this instance, it's something to keep in mind for the future.

Not sure this was mentioned...but Allianz (according to my TA) recently has allowed TAs to book/cover only the cost of the cruise...not the entire trip with the policy. Since we pretty much always use "miles"...at least to travel internationally...as well as "free nights" at Hyatt and IHG hotels...that type of coverage is good for us...only the cost of the cruise itself. Since the last 2 cruises we had to cancel were due to "pre-existing" conditions I think I will have to book this type of coverage for the future...as "we" age...those "unexpected" things...even though "pre-existing" do seem to "pop up"!! and lesson learned...that wonderful "credit card coverage" that I "blindly" thought would "cover me".. this "60 day clause" about a visit/note etc about a "condition" before the INITIAL payment...came into play...My BAD for not reading...understanding the "fine print"!!! I have no one to blame but myself!!! LuAnn

Edited by LuAnn

We use a credit card with travel insurance to cover trip costs (granted we need to get a new one due to the major loss of these travel benefits w/ Citi cards). Sometimes our trip costs may exceed the limits of the credit card travel insurance but I am ok risking the difference in coverage limits and the actual cost of our trip. My credit card also has evacuation coverage but I don't think it is enough. 

We then add on a separate medical plan for every trip. I consider this an absolute necessity when traveling. The medical & evacuation only plans are often quite cheap (at least at our ages). I can't imagine traveling without medical and evacuation coverage.  It is one thing to risk the cost of your trip but unless you are a millionaire you may very well be risking everything you have if you travel without a medical and evacuation plan. I think most people who think they can go without this have no idea how much an emergency medical evacuation can cost.

This route has been by far the most affordable that I have found for us and I have spent a lot of time researching the matter.

Just an FYI...we have a "Medicare Advantage" plan...which covers us any where in the world...with out that...I would buy healthcare coverage...and the plan we have...also covers a "ship" evacuation plan as well. Before being old enough for this type of coverage...we did "insure" ourselves" differently! There just "might" be an advantage to being older....not sure about that yet!!! ;) :)  LuAnn