Beds on the Anthem - hard?

Traveling on the Anthem in August, and I have to decide whether I need to bring an egg crate mattress pad as I needed to on multiple Grandeur sailings. Can anyone give me their thoughts/experiences with the bed comfort on the Anthem? Thanks for your help!

Yes!  It was after that cruise that we started hauling mattress toppers.  Both of us had so many pains after trying to sleep on the Anthem beds, it was coffee and ibuprofen everyday for breakfast and we are in good physical shape.  The bed felt like the floor. 😞

Edited by Esmerelda

Is there a difference between the mattresses in junior suites and above vs. regular cabins?

Also, if you bring a mattress topper, will a Queen sized one work, or should it be a King (obviously, for when the beds are made up together)?

19 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

First off, won't Royal provide egg crate toppers on request?

I think they do until they run out.   My mom is schlepping one on just in case they dont have any.  She has a fybro and a firm bed just wont work. 

37 minutes ago, ryano said:

I think they do until they run out.   My mom is schlepping one on just in case they dont have any.  She has a fybro and a firm bed just wont work. 

Thanks. We've never needed one but if we do I hope that they haven't run out.

Just to add,  we had 2 Balcony rooms on deck 8.  We my wife and I had beds together in our room with no topper and we were just fine.  The kids had beds separate also with no topper and I did not hear any complaints from them.  I was already aware of complaints about "Bed Hardness" on Anthem before we boarded so I was fully aware and ready to ask for them if needed, but I found the bed similar in firmness to our own bed.  Perhaps someone will suggest an email or number to call (Special needs?) to per-arrange a topper.  Or call as soon as onboard.  I assume if you are considering bringing a topper, you must not be flying in.  2 twin sized toppers would be easier to carry than one king size I think.

dp

It's too subjective a subject to even bother asking here.  Some love firm beds, some soft.  And they'll vary by ship and room.  If someone is afraid of a firm mattress then just bring what you might need but asking for opinions here is pretty much pointless.

21 minutes ago, dpostman said:

Perhaps someone will suggest an email or number to call (Special needs?) to per-arrange a topper. 

dp

I just emailed the special needs department at  special_needs@rccl.com requesting two egg crate pads.   I will let everyone know what the response is.

Im pretty sure they will tell me to request such an item after we board the ship. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 10:49 AM, ryano said:

I just emailed the special needs department at  special_needs@rccl.com requesting two egg crate pads.   I will let everyone know what the response is.

Im pretty sure they will tell me to request such an item after we board the ship. 

Thanks for the email address.  I ordered one from Amazon and I felt it would be too much for me haul around so I sent it back.

If they can't give me an egg crate,  I will ask for extra pillows or blankets to sleep on.  

Just off the Anthem a few weeks ago....I did find the beds to be a bit on the hard side, but was able to sleep ok.  I can see where someone who does not do well with firm beds could possibly have an issue.  The couch was VERY hard and found it uncomfortable to even sit on it for any length of time, IMO.  FYI:  I was in a balcony room on the 8th floor.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:49 AM, ryano said:

UPDATE - I requested an updated invoice last night as yesterday was our final payment date. It has "mattress toppers" listed as a "disability request".   This was done by the Special Needs dept.   Now whether or not we receive them without having to make an additional request remains to be seen  🙂  

Mattress topper .JPG

• Like 1