Drink package solution?

We are planning a family cruise that would require 2 cabins, myself, DH, DS, Adult Daughter & Boyfriend.  We are thinking of booking DH & boyfriend in one cabin and getting them both the drink package and then booking the other 3 of us in a separate cabin.  DD and Myself would not really drink enough to get the full value of the package so it would be better for us to pa as we go.  We are not looking at sharing the package with the guys but since I believe one person in a cabin cannot purchase the package without everyone doing so, I thought this would be a good solution.  Any issues with the cabin steward when he/she sees different people in the cabins?

Great timing to this question.  I'm about to book connected balconies for myself, DW, DD9 and DD13.  I was hoping that the fact I will be in one room with one of the DD on the reservations that I could buy the drink package without DW needing to buy one.  Sounds like this is the case.

Edited by Tinious
  • Like 1

Is that the rule now that everyone in the cabin must buy a drink package?  I was planning on buying the refreshment package for my daughter (one cabin) and also for hubby and son in the second cabin.  I've been waiting for a price drop, instead the damn thing went up by $6.!!  I was having trouble justifying the cost … but no way does the increased price make sense.  At this price, I may just buy it for DH only and will just limit the kids to one mocktail each day (assuming I can just buy it for one person).

" All guests of legal drinking age in the same stateroom and under the same stateroom booking number are required to purchase the same alcoholic beverage package."

Pretty sure it doesn't apply to non-alcohol packages.  I wasn't quite sure if booking two rooms under a single reservation would qualify here, but based on earlier posts, I think it means it's ok.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

Is that the rule now that everyone in the cabin must buy a drink package?  I was planning on buying the refreshment package for my daughter (one cabin) and also for hubby and son in the second cabin.  I've been waiting for a price drop, instead the damn thing went up by $6.!!  I was having trouble justifying the cost … but no way does the increased price make sense.  At this price, I may just buy it for DH only and will just limit the kids to one mocktail each day (assuming I can just buy it for one person).

It does not apply to non alcoholic packages

I was able to get a refreshment package and the drink package by calling RCCL directly.  Our packages have changed pricing many times over the last few months.  We got the refreshment package for $17.00 per day and the drink package for $48.00.

35 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

Thanks!  I just called and I should have asked Royal.  Apparently promotional pricing ended on the 29th.  Would have been nice if that was stated somewhere on their website 😞

Too cheap for my own good!

Prices constantly change. The general rule of thumb is to buy it whenever the price makes sense, and if the price drops you can cancel and rebook at the lower price

3 hours ago, albycruisin said:

We are planning a family cruise that would require 2 cabins, myself, DH, DS, Adult Daughter & Boyfriend.  We are thinking of booking DH & boyfriend in one cabin and getting them both the drink package and then booking the other 3 of us in a separate cabin.  DD and Myself would not really drink enough to get the full value of the package so it would be better for us to pa as we go.  We are not looking at sharing the package with the guys but since I believe one person in a cabin cannot purchase the package without everyone doing so, I thought this would be a good solution.  Any issues with the cabin steward when he/she sees different people in the cabins?

It is also a way to get the C&A discount on both cabins. 

I thought your beverage purchase showed up on your seapass (or whatever they call your card) so I don't see how people could interchange?  I was trying to find a creative way because I have free soda package and would like to upgrade to deluxe, but I don't believe I can trade my soda package (with $$) to someone for their deluxe package.  I know that sounds convoluted, but 2 friends are sharing a room and one wants deluxe and the other not - so I was thinking I could swap.  But will that work?  Because every time you order don't they look at your card and charge it?  (it's been 4 years since I cruised, so I don't know exactly how it works anymore)

19 hours ago, Queen of Oakville said:

Thanks!  I just called and I should have asked Royal.  Apparently promotional pricing ended on the 29th.  Would have been nice if that was stated somewhere on their website 😞

Too cheap for my own good!

Don’t worry it will go on sale again. Watch for another good sale around the forth of July.  They always seem to do their best sales on drinks etc. around the big holidays. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HappyCruiser said:

I thought your beverage purchase showed up on your seapass (or whatever they call your card) so I don't see how people could interchange?  I was trying to find a creative way because I have free soda package and would like to upgrade to deluxe, but I don't believe I can trade my soda package (with $$) to someone for their deluxe package.  I know that sounds convoluted, but 2 friends are sharing a room and one wants deluxe and the other not - so I was thinking I could swap.  But will that work?  Because every time you order don't they look at your card and charge it?  (it's been 4 years since I cruised, so I don't know exactly how it works anymore)

Won't work because the cardholder's photo shows up on the POS terminal when a crewmember swipes the card.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Won't work because the cardholder's photo shows up on the POS terminal when a crewmember swipes the card.

So let's say I have a Refreshment package and wife has DBP....I figure she's going to send me to the bar for her drinks.  So does that mean she has to go get them herself?  

2 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

So let's say I have a Refreshment package and wife has DBP....I figure she's going to send me to the bar for her drinks.  So does that mean she has to go get them herself?  

No you just have to have both your and her cards together.  I have done this without any issue.

Just now, Tree_skier said:

No you just have to have both your and her cards together.  I have done this without any issue.

Oh okay....if I gave the " Sorry honey, you have to get it yourself" excuse, it might have been a bumpy cruise 

9 hours ago, HappyCruiser said:

Just switch rooms with the person on paper.  You and the person who wants the booze package could be booked in one room and both get the booze package, then the other person gets your free soda package.

Once on the ship, Guest Services can either switch out your SeaPass/room keys, or give you a "door key only" and you keep your original SeaPass.  

They don't care where you actually sleep once you're on board.

This is our issue also. We have 4 couples in two side by side suites. One couple in one cabin wants the Deluxe package, the other couple doesn't. Same for our cabin. My wife and I want it but the other couple doesn't. We've already been discussing just changing the names of the two couples who want the package to change cabin assignments together. Then just change rooms once on board. My wife must room with her best friend so we definitely would have to change back. Just hope it's not too much trouble. 

56 minutes ago, dwayneb236 said:

This is our issue also. We have 4 couples in two side by side suites. One couple in one cabin wants the Deluxe package, the other couple doesn't. Same for our cabin. My wife and I want it but the other couple doesn't. We've already been discussing just changing the names of the two couples who want the package to change cabin assignments together. Then just change rooms once on board. My wife must room with her best friend so we definitely would have to change back. Just hope it's not too much trouble. 

Won't be any trouble at all.... everyone goes to Guest Services together and gets new keys made.  

38 minutes ago, dwayneb236 said:

Since we are in grand suites would this be something the concierge could do? I'm clueless about suites. 

Maybe, can't hurt to ask, but you might be directed to Guest Services.

On 6/1/2019 at 7:54 AM, Tree_skier said:

Don’t worry it will go on sale again. Watch for another good sale around the forth of July.  They always seem to do their best sales on drinks etc. around the big holidays. 

Thank you!  I will check around 4th of July.

On 5/31/2019 at 1:21 PM, awestover89 said:

Prices constantly change. The general rule of thumb is to buy it whenever the price makes sense, and if the price drops you can cancel and rebook at the lower price

I know to do this, I just never figured prices would increase.   Actually I don't think the price increased per se - they just took away what was advertised as a 30% discount.  I assumed this was a standard promotion and didn't expect it to go away.  Had they identified it as a promotional priced with an expiry date, I would have known better.

3 hours ago, Queen of Oakville said:

Thank you!  I will check around 4th of July.

I know to do this, I just never figured prices would increase.   Actually I don't think the price increased per se - they just took away what was advertised as a 30% discount.  I assumed this was a standard promotion and didn't expect it to go away.  Had they identified it as a promotional priced with an expiry date, I would have known better.

just to be fair, they don't have to tell you when promotional prices end. However, they did send out multiple emails over memorial day weekend. Also always expect prices to go up the closer to the cruise you get. There is mention of this all over the forum and facebook. 

7 hours ago, Queen of Oakville said:

They almost never advertise an expiry date.  When you see a price you like, book it.  If it goes down, you can cancel and rebook.