Best excursions in Ketchikan

horseymike

We loved going snorkeling there on our first cruise to Alaska. If it's offered on your ship, I heartily recommend it. We booked an independent kayaking excursion there on another cruise, and that was also a lot of fun. On our third cruise, we took the public bus to Totem Bight. That was our least expensive excursion. We had time on all three cruises to walk along Creek Street.

Edited by geoherb

On 6/2/2019 at 10:09 AM, twangster said:

Boat ride in Misty Fjords was also a great experience.

For our late July cruise from Vancouver to Steward, first time for Alaska, we are planning for Ketchikan in doing a ship's tour involving "Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer Cruise", 4.5 hours, departure : 8 am, finishing12:30 pm.  This jet-boat journey to the Misty Fjords National Monument, also includes the Tongass Narrows, Ketchikan waterfront, Revillagigedo Channel, Behm Canal, Misty Fjords, New Eddystone Rock, Rudyerd Bay, waterfalls, and more. Any others having done this type of tour on such a jet-boat?  Or, other tips and insights as relates to Ketchikan?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 220,783 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

We just returned from an air excursion with Island Wings on May 29th. Michelle does and awesome job and the flight over Misty Fjords National Monument was second only to the flight around Denali and landing at base camp with Talkeetna Air Taxi. Michelle has bought another beaver and hired Adam to fly for her company. Very excellent record and many, many years of experience.

I second the floatplane experience in Ketchikan. We flew last week with Ryan McCue of Alaska Seaplane Tours, and had an incredible time with him. He also has long experience and a perfect safety record. One of the world’s most decent people. Ours was a bear tour, and we saw 3 bear nice and close for amazing photographs.

There is a new tour available in Ketchikan: Hump Island Oyster and Kelp farm.  It's a family and friends operation. Short van ride to the boat dock then short boat ride over to the farm.  Get first hand tour with oyster farmers.   Kelp Salsa and fresh oysters to sample.  Highly recommended.  We did it while on our Oosterdam cruise.  Unfortunately it is not wheelchair accessible.

I'm curious to hear answers to this as well.  We are going to be there in August and can't decide what we want to do. We had talked about doing one of the crab feast combo excursions, but as much as we love crab, we don't want to miss out on something better that we can't see/do anywhere else.  We just don't want anything that involves flying.

King Salmon fishing is open this year in Ketchikan Creek. This is not aways the case. I have read there is a tackle store on Creek St that rents rods, etc. If you have an adventuresome spirit, you could do this on your own. Or you could find a guide in the area.

On 6/3/2019 at 9:40 AM, TLCOhio said:

For our late July cruise from Vancouver to Steward, first time for Alaska, we are planning for Ketchikan in doing a ship's tour involving "Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer Cruise", 4.5 hours, departure : 8 am, finishing12:30 pm.  This jet-boat journey to the Misty Fjords National Monument, also includes the Tongass Narrows, Ketchikan waterfront, Revillagigedo Channel, Behm Canal, Misty Fjords, New Eddystone Rock, Rudyerd Bay, waterfalls, and more. Any others having done this type of tour on such a jet-boat?  Or, other tips and insights as relates to Ketchikan?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 220,783 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Just my opinion after enduring this excursion a few years ago but bring a book to read for the four hours of boat riding.  You will be too far from land to see anything since there are rules about approaching "wilderness-designated" territory.  You will pass a large rock that will make a good photo, go back to reading your book, spend 30 minutes in the fjiord, and go back to reading your book for the two-hour ride back to Ketchikan.

In my many visits to Ketchikan, my favorite excursion is the Crab Fishing with a stop to feed swooping eagles.

image.png.83c8ffc30d9e79883469c0acb8905b42.png

Although Bering Sea Crab is my favorite, my one disclaimer is it's not for everybody.  I have a vegetarian in my party who is not into it, and I know of at least one other tour who also feeds the eagles.  Then you may have other people who are anti- feeding the eagles, even if the tours managed to legally-loophole their way in. 

I second the floatplane tour with Island Wings with Michelle. We just got back last week and this was the highlight of our cruise. I was able to surprise DW with it for our 25th anniversary. Michelle is a consummate professional dedicated to the safety of her guests. Her passion for flying and sharing the incredible beauty of Misty Fjords was a joy to be part of. 

Hank

On 6/17/2019 at 7:58 AM, tetleytea said:

Although Bering Sea Crab is my favorite, my one disclaimer is it's not for everybody.  I have a vegetarian in my party who is not into it, and I know of at least one other tour who also feeds the eagles.  Then you may have other people who are anti- feeding the eagles, even if the tours managed to legally-loophole their way in. 

Honestly... on our excursion saw very few eagels even get a fish piece it was if they were practicing their flying skills, not really interested in the fish at all.

We just got back from the Misty Fjords Island Wings with Michelle.  OMG, amazing.  We landed on a lake, it was breathtaking!  Not Misty however, we had complete sunshine!!  Would have loved to do her hiking tour, time did not permit on our short docking time, we did the two hour tour.

On 6/17/2019 at 7:58 AM, tetleytea said:

I have never figured out how they get away with it.  Everything that I have read has said that feeding eagles is illegial.

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I have never figured out how they get away with it.  Everything that I have read has said that feeding eagles is illegial.

DON

They go onto Native American lands.  They have been given sovereignty, meaning the Feds have no jurisdiction.  The tour companies then just buy permission from the tribes.

2 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

They go onto Native American lands.  They have been given sovereignty, meaning the Feds have no jurisdiction.  The tour companies then just buy permission from the tribes.

Interesting.  Many Indian nations regard eagles as sacred and you can not even keep an eagle feather that you find on the ground.  However, they are willing to sell the rights for people to feed eagles on their native lands which leads to eagles that are human habituated and also dependent upon being fed by people instead of hunting.

Does this sound a bit two faced to you.  Wonder how much they would charge for the rights to trap eagles or to shoot them.

DON

The natives, in their judgement, might not think the tour companies feeding them when they do will harmfully habituate them.  Also, the bald eagle is venerated by the United States--not necessarily those tribes.

We did the flightseeing with Island Wings on June 13th. We flew with Adam on a gorgeous day, and it was spectacular!  An incredible experience!

We also did a flight around Denali with K2 Aviation in Talkeetna and had another amazing day. 

Both of these flights were worth every penny!!

Just recently did the Zodiacs in Ketchikan, and let me put it this way:   orcas.   Eye-level.   We were down on the water, and their dorsal fins were above eye-level for us.  It was surreal.

The tour itself was nothing fancy, and the wildlife encounter was by chance, but we did get to drive our own boats.

20 hours ago, ErLee said:

We did the flightseeing with Island Wings on June 13th. We flew with Adam on a gorgeous day, and it was spectacular!  An incredible experience!

We also did a flight around Denali with K2 Aviation in Talkeetna and had another amazing day. 

Both of these flights were worth every penny!!

Ditto on both of these tours. Amazing. Did Adam tell you that Michelle bought the plane pretty much for Adam. She thinks very highly of him as a pilot.