Jim_Iain Live!!! - B2B Summit New England and Bermuda Jun 5 & 16th

Jim_Iain

2 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

Love it when the Summit sails through 10-15 foot seas. You really feel you're sailing on the ocean.  Haven't been on a QM2 transatlantic for awhile - but best (or worse depending on who likes it or not) was day of cruising with up to 40 ft seas.  We filmed the waves near the forward bow down at the game table area on deck 2 and watched the waves breaking over our heads through the windows.  Unfortunately, at least a 1/4 of the passengers didn't make it to dinner that night.  Very few dancers in the ball room on dance floor, too.  Everyone was hanging on the hand rails in the halls and they put barf bags around the ship.

Thank you again for sharing your pictures and comments on your cruises.  We are enjoying them tremendously.  Your pictures are much better than the ones we took and giving me some good photo ideas for our next trip to Bermuda.

We chased the tail end of a hurricane up to Canada on QM2.  We thought she was a very stable  well performing ocean liner!  Best location was  midships lower decks. When we do our TA crossing that's the ship we will choose!  But even ocean liners do move with the seas.

hope things calm down for Summit...

The sea day  seafood lunch at Q sine looks great...!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jcpc said:

It's very windy here on the East Coast today.  You may be experiencing that wind out to sea which might be causing the higher than typical seas.  The wind started yesterday afternoon and cleared out the rain and humidity we were having all week.  Beautiful, clear air today with temps in the mid-70's and a very low dew point.  Hopefully that weather holds for the remainder of the week but the prediction is for heat and humidity to hit the east coast by Monday.  Hopefully you don't encounter that humidity on your port calls in Boston and Maine.  Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

Thanks much.  It will s 2:30 pm now and the seas are starting to calm down and winds subsiding.  

Really looking forward to Boston and nice weather.  We are watching the weather and it is looking beautiful.   

Been a wonderful cruise.   I can’t say enough nice things about the food and staff. 

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are clipping along at 21knots working our way through some heavy seas 12-15 ft waves and 25-35 mph winds.  

Ship it is rocking and rolling but should subside by this evening. 

I slept like a baby last night 

E4E20308-DC4E-42C4-AFA5-CB4FAC617524.thumb.png.233496c138d6282bb538870ebb6b5072.png

A few years ago on our first Bermuda cruise, the way back we had very rough seas (22 ft waves like you).  Summit still offered the champagne afternoon tea.  Well DH & I were one of 5 tables as everyone else cancelled.  It turned into as much champagne and teatime treats as we wanted.  The ship was not crowded!

7 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

Looks really like a nice luncheon.   I had the Villa Maria wine onboard recently.  Bought a bottle when I got home.  

Have you been on QM2?  Would love to see your pictures/comments.

Good to see Villa Maria offered its  grown locally in  Marlborough two hours away from here but we have great wine too . I like their Pinot Gris tried that as a  supermarket sample last week.

16 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

Looks really like a nice luncheon.   I had the Villa Maria wine onboard recently.  Bought a bottle when I got home.  

Have you been on QM2?  Would love to see your pictures/comments.

Never sailed any other line than Celebrity.  We liked the product and never seen the need to change.  That my happen soon as an African Safari is on the bucket list. 

10 hours ago, bunnyette said:

A few years ago on our first Bermuda cruise, the way back we had very rough seas (22 ft waves like you).  Summit still offered the champagne afternoon tea.  Well DH & I were one of 5 tables as everyone else cancelled.  It turned into as much champagne and teatime treats as we wanted.  The ship was not crowded!

Yum.  We would have been there with you. I enjoy feeling the sea.  

The seas calmed down yesterday afternoon and the weather has turned beautiful.  Last night I remarked that it didn’t even feel like we were at sea. 

• Like 1

Arrived Boston about 7:00.   They started calling numbers shortly thereafter.  So much for sleeping in.   We initially got a sheet to go through immigration with a number 37 which is scheduled for 9:10. We later got a letter from Retreat to just come at any time and they will expedite our clearance.  

258D7B22-0E7E-46B9-8B34-5A32BACB3834.thumb.jpeg.68a72550c5a9499fa748a857315495c7.jpeg

BF1BFECE-B5FC-40B3-A269-0BE8DAD20BA9.thumb.jpeg.a6c09cb3d468abb229241c3e6b17e5fc.jpeg

8E8958C0-AFE6-4495-9DC8-FFF643FD5F9C.thumb.jpeg.88378e13570076ee7e606730e01dde4e.jpeg

We decided to grab a coffee and breakfast in the Retreat and probably going to clear shortly

Today we are taking an excursion to the Kennedy Library.  Lesson learned, one should do some research.    I bought the excursion then last night looked and the Library is only 3 miles away.   Would be an easy walk or $10.00 Uber ride   Oh well,   It may  be a great tour  E6CBE881-CD8B-4FCD-945E-B6A4D0484239.thumb.jpeg.f59c009d6512abf4b47c8a5010922eaf.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

Immigration took all of 2 minutes.  They are runny ahead of schedule and just called 54 at 9:10.  

Process was scan  card at enter the hand passport to CBP agent he holds passport up and looks at your face.   They you get a hot pink sticker on your sea pass and your cleared to go ashore at your discretion.  

Edited by Jim_Iain

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Immigration took all of 2 minutes.  They are runny ahead of schedule and just called 54 at 9:10.  

Process was scan  card at enter the hand passport to CBP agent he holds passport up and looks at your face.   They you get a hot pink sticker on your sea pass and your cleared to go ashore at your discretion.  

Beautiful day here in Boston today! Enjoy the Kennedy Library

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

That my happen soon as an African Safari is on the bucket list. 

Africa will get under your skin. That won't be a one off visit. I have a few friends who have done camera or hunting safaris. All felt the need to return asap. :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cynbar said:

Beautiful day here in Boston today! Enjoy the Kennedy Library

It is beautiful and going to be nice and warm.  I needed a couple things at CVS Pharmacy so just got back from walking to the one on Broadway, about 1 mile away. 

After retuning to the ship I changed into shorts and a T for the rest of the day.  Perfect weather with low humidity is a real treat. 

1 hour ago, Mynki said:

Africa will get under your skin. That won't be a one off visit. I have a few friends who have done camera or hunting safaris. All felt the need to return asap. 🙂

All I need to do is get serious about booking it.    

Finally got the menu, picture and cookbook from the Chef’s Table.  I chuckled when I got to the room.   They just don’t know what to do with a male couple.  Our table mates asked and if we were brothers.  Which I politely correct answered - no he didn’t s my husband of 30 years.   They chuckled and it at least broke the ice.   We really enjoyed getting to know them.  

Then Celebrity delivered 2 pictures and 2 cookbooks.  

0B1EB555-BF4C-4AD0-8961-F7E3A8195B49.thumb.jpeg.f4f0027b3b850e3da2e8ddf9c2e8c24b.jpeg

EB8D2384-BC4F-40E3-BC0B-0469C3B7D1E1.thumb.jpeg.16225fbe8ade984417a18be524a0a459.jpeg

12FED572-82C2-46BA-9D48-42DD4AE16F3F.thumb.jpeg.e62839ce5e20c238aa2cb66f91c712a9.jpeg 

1 hour ago, papadave said:

Congratulations on being the first gay couple to go on a cruise ship!

LOL.  

It never ceases to amaze me the questions we are asked.  A couple months ago someone asked what the relationship was between Iain, Marcia and me.   

I politely said Iain’s my husband and Marcia’s our girl friend.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Jim!

So much fun continuing to cruise on Summit with you! And thank you for being my guinea pig to the Chef's Table.

I admit to being a bit of a critic when looking at the pictures. Most of the dishes came out fairly equivalent to the pictures that were posted from Chef Boulud's evening, the exception being the sea bass. Was it really flavorful? There just seemed to be some components missing from this dish, specifically the blistered cherry tomatoes.

Good luck with the cookbooks and packing them. In case you are wondering, I weighed mine when I got home. It's 7 lbs 2 oz, so between you and Iain that is a little over 14 lbs of additional weight to carry! 

It was also interesting to compare the recipe posted by ChicagoPaul (the Moroccan chicken) with the recipe as printed in the cookbook, My Best by Daniel Boulud. Yes, my darling DH got both cookbooks for me as an anniversary surprise gift! ChicagoPaul's recipe posting has instructions for a commercial kitchen preparation; it's really interesting to see how the galley supports Chef Boulud's vision for the dish. If you stopped following his trip report to Alaska, you might want to check out the last few posts for the Moroccan Chicken. Very enlightening!

I've been on several armchair safaris and thoroughly enjoyed each and every one! I'm so excited to be going on one with you and Iain!!!! Did you know that Celebrity offers safari excursions as part of some post- and or pre-cruise tour packages? I've been reading a bit about them and they sound well researched and very interesting! I haven't come across anyone who has personally done one, though I would sure like to! I've been thinking more and more that it would be a wonderful excursion and more suited to me than the Galapagos (because I'm a non-swimmer and the Galapagos with its Zodiak's does concern me a bit).

I found it difficult to walk my steps aboard the Summit, as well. How many steps have you managed daily? Boston will definitely up your average, I'm sure.

7 minutes ago, Member123 said:

Jim!

So much fun continuing to cruise on Summit with you! And thank you for being my guinea pig to the Chef's Table.

I admit to being a bit of a critic when looking at the pictures. Most of the dishes came out fairly equivalent to the pictures that were posted from Chef Boulud's evening, the exception being the sea bass. Was it really flavorful? There just seemed to be some components missing from this dish, specifically the blistered cherry tomatoes.

Good luck with the cookbooks and packing them. In case you are wondering, I weighed mine when I got home. It's 7 lbs 2 oz, so between you and Iain that is a little over 14 lbs of additional weight to carry! 

It was also interesting to compare the recipe posted by ChicagoPaul (the Moroccan chicken) with the recipe as printed in the cookbook, My Best by Daniel Boulud. Yes, my darling DH got both cookbooks for me as an anniversary surprise gift! ChicagoPaul's recipe posting has instructions for a commercial kitchen preparation; it's really interesting to see how the galley supports Chef Boulud's vision for the dish. If you stopped following his trip report to Alaska, you might want to check out the last few posts for the Moroccan Chicken. Very enlightening!

I've been on several armchair safaris and thoroughly enjoyed each and every one! I'm so excited to be going on one with you and Iain!!!! Did you know that Celebrity offers safari excursions as part of some post- and or pre-cruise tour packages? I've been reading a bit about them and they sound well researched and very interesting! I haven't come across anyone who has personally done one, though I would sure like to! I've been thinking more and more that it would be a wonderful excursion and more suited to me than the Galapagos (because I'm a non-swimmer and the Galapagos with its Zodiak's does concern me a bit).

I found it difficult to walk my steps aboard the Summit, as well. How many steps have you managed daily? Boston will definitely up your average, I'm sure.

I was impressed with the sea bass.  It was very tasty and well balanced. I don’t particularly like olives but found the sauce well balanced and the briney taste was perfect. 

I have gotten in about 20,000 steps but didn’t even try yesterday.  

Ill look at Celebrity  Safaris but normally find them way overpriced.   I may take their tour and back engineer it.   

Pictures of the Chef's Table are great!  You two look good.

An African Safari is on my bucket list, too.  Do you already have one booked? If so, care to share the info?

And, all your pictures of Bermuda tell me it is definitely time for me to get back there and explore all over again as it's been awhile.

Enjoy Boston!  It's a lovely day.

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Finally got the menu, picture and cookbook from the Chef’s Table.  I chuckled when I got to the room.   They just don’t know what to do with a male couple.  Our table mates asked and if we were brothers.  Which I politely correct answered - no he didn’t s my husband of 30 years.   They chuckled and it at least broke the ice.   We really enjoyed getting to know them.  

Then Celebrity delivered 2 pictures and 2 cookbooks.  

Oh my goodness, crazy, considering they are celebrating Pride on most of their ships!

First of all congratulations on 30 years together. I always remember my mum (who is now 85) and I having a wonderful conversation with a couple in Blu and the older gentleman thanking my mum for speaking to them - I think we both just looked in amazement as why wouldn’t we as they were both such interesting gentlemen. As mother and daughter we too got two cookbooks at a Royal Chef’s Table - I wonder if we will get two if we do this dinner in three weeks time on Edge?! 

Wendy 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ecslady said:

Pictures of the Chef's Table are great!  You two look good.

An African Safari is on my bucket list, too.  Do you already have one booked? If so, care to share the info?

And, all your pictures of Bermuda tell me it is definitely time for me to get back there and explore all over again as it's been awhile.

Enjoy Boston!  It's a lovely day.

I have not yet started planning a Safari.  We have some friends who took one last year.  They did not do it as part of a cruise.  They were at tintswalo Safari Lodge 

http://tintswalo.com/safari/

Rather pricy but they said was very impressive.  

6 minutes ago, wendyam76 said:

Oh my goodness, crazy, considering they are celebrating Pride on most of their ships!

First of all congratulations on 30 years together. I always remember my mum (who is now 85) and I having a wonderful conversation with a couple in Blu and the older gentleman thanking my mum for speaking to them - I think we both just looked in amazement as why wouldn’t we as they were both such interesting gentlemen. As mother and daughter we too got two cookbooks at a Royal Chef’s Table - I wonder if we will get two if we do this dinner in three weeks time on Edge?! 

Wendy 

Maybe you identified the key.  Different last names get you 2 books.