Safes

LukeyC

8 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

I've always opted to never use a hotel or ship safe; just always keep everything elsewhere.  But figured with passports and other items I would like to utilize the cabin safe.  Is there a daily fee or charge for usage? 

No.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

Please re-read. I am agreeing that you need to enter a pin every time you open and again when you close it - and also that there is no lock button. 

I am only saying that the pin is not reset every time you do so unless you change the pin each time.  The same pin remains in the safe memory if it is not changed. 

But again - yes, you need to enter it each time it is opened and closed, and there is no lock button.  (Never have been on any RCI ship in our experience).

What difference does it make if the pin is in there, if you have to enter a pin every time you lock the safe??????

10 minutes ago, SRF said:

What difference does it make if the pin is in there, if you have to enter a pin every time you lock the safe??????

Because you originally said you have to set the pin every time you use it - I was only saying that you do not set it every time as it remains in memory until it is re-set,  but agree that you do have to enter it every time.

Mostly semantics I guess and certainly not (as indicated) a challenge - or a debate....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

When we’ve had a safe where you have to enter the pin every time you close it, you can change the pin every time you close it, just by entering a different number.  I found this out the hard way, by accidentally keying in the wrong number as I locked it.  Fortunately it flashed the number up in confirmation just as it locked, and I was able to open it again and close it with the number I wanted to use.

On 6/9/2019 at 11:57 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

Because you originally said you have to set the pin every time you use it - I was only saying that you do not set it every time as it remains in memory until it is re-set,  but agree that you do have to enter it every time.

Mostly semantics I guess and certainly not (as indicated) a challenge - or a debate....

How do you know it remembers it?

If you have to set it, and it does not display the old one???????????

13 minutes ago, SRF said:

How do you know it remembers it?

If you have to set it, and it does not display the old one???????????

If you set it and then close it and lock it, if it did not remember the pin how would it open the next time? 

Not worth discussing any further.  You believe what you want and I will do the same.

Have a good day.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

13 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

If you set it and then close it and lock it, if it did not remember the pin how would it open the next time? 

Not worth discussing any further.  You believe what you want and I will do the same.

Have a good day.

When you input your pin and close it, it locks. You input the same pin and it opens. To close it and lock it again you need to enter a pin and you may use the same number you used before or you may use a different one. So you may not have to set the pin every time you use it but in essence that is what you are doing. You need to input 4 numbers to lock it and the safe doesn't care what those numbers are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

When you input your pin and close it, it locks. You input the same pin and it opens. To close it and lock it again you need to enter a pin and you may use the same number you used before or you may use a different one. So you may not have to set the pin every time you use it but in essence that is what you are doing. You need to input 4 numbers to lock it and the safe doesn't care what those numbers are. 

We are saying the same thing.  You do not have to reset it, but entering different numbers when locking it does.  But the pin is retained in memory as that is how you are able to open it once locked.

And we really have run this to its end I think, but thanks for your input.

Here's the keypad of a safe very similar to the one on the Jewel and as you can see there is a digital display above.  Somehow or other we couldn't get into ours so we made a call to whoever on board and one of the crew appeared with a hand held gizmo which he plugged in to the safe and unlocked it.  Simple enough to reset a new code after he was gone.  

Related image

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

We are saying the same thing.  You do not have to reset it, but entering different numbers when locking it does.  But the pin is retained in memory as that is how you are able to open it once locked.

And we really have run this to its end I think, but thanks for your input.

Yes, it is retained in memory to open it but once it's open there is no need for the number to be retained. And you are welcome.🙂

On 6/13/2019 at 4:49 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

Have a good day.

It remembers it for you to unlock.  

SOME safes, you can lock without entering the PIN every time.  You just hit Lock and it Locks.  Enter the PIN and hit Unlock and it Locks.  Time after time.  These remember the PIN.

Others require you to enter the PIN every time you lock it.  You can use the same one or a different one.    You keep saying they remember the PIN, how would you know?  As every time you lock it, you have to enter a PIN, and THAT PIN is used to unlock it.

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Well, after 35 posts all I know is you have to enter a PIN before you close the door.  😀😀😀

Not for all safes.

I have stayed in a lot of different hotels, with different safes.  Some require that you enter the PIN every time you lock it.  Like the safes on Grandeur.

Other do not.  You can just hit Lock button and it displays the PIN and locks the safe, then the PIN disappears.  You can unlock, lock, unlock, lock, and only enter the PIN to unlock.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, it is retained in memory to open it but once it's open there is no need for the number to be retained. And you are welcome.🙂

How do you know that?

And what difference does it make that it remembers it, if you have to enter a PIN to lock it??????

27 minutes ago, SRF said:

Not for all safes.

I have stayed in a lot of different hotels, with different safes.  Some require that you enter the PIN every time you lock it.  Like the safes on Grandeur.

Other do not.  You can just hit Lock button and it displays the PIN and locks the safe, then the PIN disappears.  You can unlock, lock, unlock, lock, and only enter the PIN to unlock.

I was just trying to make a light hearted comment that we have spent a lot of posts talking about entering PINs.   Guess it might have come across as serious.  Anyway, I want out of this debate!  Mrs Ldubs will give me the PIN if she thinks I need to know.  LOL

OK, I'm going to come clean because I don't want anyone losing sleep over how or when the PIN is memorized.  In reality, there is a guy at a desk in a dark corner of deck 1.  His job is to write down each digit as you enter the PIN.  Then he pushes a button to lock the door.  When someone enters the PIN to open the safe, this same guy confirms the number and pushes a button to open the door.  

He is known as the SAFEty Officer.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SRF said:

How do you know that?

And what difference does it make that it remembers it, if you have to enter a PIN to lock it??????

Because I can enter an entirely new number and it will lock. If it remembered the old pin and required it then there would be an error given if I entered a new pin. And you are right, it doesn't really matter one way or the other.

7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Because I can enter an entirely new number and it will lock. If it remembered the old pin and required it then there would be an error given if I entered a new pin. And you are right, it doesn't really matter one way or the other.

There are two types of safes I have seen.

One, it remembers the PIN, and you can lock it without entering the PIN.  You either hit a button labeled Lock, or the # key.

They other type requires a PIN every time you lock it.  If you do not enter a PIN, it does not lock.  No Lock button.  Hitting # does nothing.  You can use the same PIN or a different one each time you lock it.

Obviously the first one remembers the PIN.  The second could remember the PIN, but for what reason (you need to enter a PIN each time you lock it)? And how could you tell (you have enter a PIN to lock it)?

8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If a person is in a hurry a wrong digit might be entered. Miss one by just one number and you won't be able to open it without security's help. You won't know that a wrong number was entered and will think the safe is broken. 

I much prefer just closing it without having to enter the number again as it avoids accidentally entering a different number and not being aware that it has been changed.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:59 AM, twodaywonder said:

4 digit pin. On three different cruises the battery in the safe went dead. 20-30 min for them to either charge the battery or replace it. So we have learned. If you need items to go on shore. Get them out of the save early. Some new ships have very small safes (Not Carnival) and other nice and large (Celebrity) for my wife to put her purse in and other items. 

Wow, she must have very nice handbags 🙂

4 hours ago, clo said:

Wow, she must have very nice handbags 🙂

As most women. She has a few. She takes one particular one so it will fit easily in the safe. Does not like the hassle of carrying it around all day. Just takes the ships card and her glasses. Keeps them in her pocket. Going ashore. Charge card, some cash and the drivers license. Purse stays.

4 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

As most women. She has a few. She takes one particular one so it will fit easily in the safe. Does not like the hassle of carrying it around all day. Just takes the ships card and her glasses. Keeps them in her pocket. Going ashore. Charge card, some cash and the drivers license. Purse stays.

No, I meant they must be very 'nice.'  I've never locked one up.  

15 hours ago, SRF said:

There are two types of safes I have seen.

One, it remembers the PIN, and you can lock it without entering the PIN.  You either hit a button labeled Lock, or the # key.

They other type requires a PIN every time you lock it.  If you do not enter a PIN, it does not lock.  No Lock button.  Hitting # does nothing.  You can use the same PIN or a different one each time you lock it.

Obviously the first one remembers the PIN.  The second could remember the PIN, but for what reason (you need to enter a PIN each time you lock it)? And how could you tell (you have enter a PIN to lock it)?

I am obviously referring to the second type. As you say, it could remember the pin, but for what reason? 

15 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

If a person is in a hurry a wrong digit might be entered. Miss one by just one number and you won't be able to open it without security's help. You won't know that a wrong number was entered and will think the safe is broken. 

I much prefer just closing it without having to enter the number again as it avoids accidentally entering a different number and not being aware that it has been changed.

Yes, that is a possibility with that type of safe. You set 1234 as your pin the first time, the second time you are in a hurry and you set 1235. I know my own predilection for hitting the wrong key so I take great care when setting the pin to make sure that I'm selecting the correct number.