Dancing of the ships 2021

Gettys84

Wanting to book our spring 2021 cruise, have Bermuda on the Sunshine for fall of this year and Breeze and Mardi Gras booked for next year.  We really had a great cruise on the Horizon in April and would like to go on the ship again.  Anyone think they will move the Horizon or Vista to Port Canaveral?  You can only book the Mardi Gras and Horizon out to April of 2021. Side note, I will need an 8 day to turn platinum, seems dumb to book a seven day and be 1 day short from some nice perks!  Seems like Port Canaveral is more of a 7 day cruise port vs 8 day being offered in Miami.

Edited by Gettys84

I would go with booking the 8 day to reach the milestone since it's just one day difference. There are some 8 days out of PC, I was just looking at a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Radiance in Apr 2021. Though I know that's not a ship you asked about, but it was 8 days. 

I would guess that unless they move the Mardi Gras some where else, the Vista class ships won't be coming to PC. Of course that's based on nothing and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Do any of the other NA ports have LNG available? If not, it'll probably be a while before the Mardi Gras goes any where other than PC. But I'm basing that only on the availability of LNG, so really it's just a guess.

Based on previous years, the rest of the schedule for 2021 will likely be released towards the end of this year. Sunshine did 8 day cruises out of Port Canaveral the last several years. As already mentioned, Radiance will be doing 8 day cruises in the future, so 7 days is not the only longer cruise option from Port Canaveral. 

I doubt you you will see a Vista class ship sail out of Port Canaveral any time in the near future. I think the only change you might see in several years is Vista class ships rotating between Miami, Galveston and Long Beach. Of course the one big unknown at this time is where the new XL ship will be home ported in 2022. Depending where it is based will likely lead to a trickle down effect with ships changing home ports. 

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Of course the one big unknown at this time is where the new XL ship will be home ported in 2022. Depending where it is based will likely lead to a trickle down effect with ships changing home ports. 

Do you know which Carnival US ports have the capability for LNG? I thought I read somewhere that Canaveral was Carnival's only port that could not only refuel but was large enough to accept these mega ships. 

7 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

I predict that Carnival Breeze will come to Miami and Carnival Magic will either go to New York (which I am hoping), most likely move to Fort Lauderdale or possibly reposition to New Orleans. 

Breeze is moving to Fort Lauderdale and Magic is moving to Miami. The key question is how long will that last.  When Mardi Gras starts sailing next year, four of Carnival’s newest ships will be based in Florida (Mardi Gras, Horizon, Breeze, Magic). My guess is at some point they will move one of the Dream class ships to another port/state, but I doubt it will be New York.  

Another big question, like the previous poster mentioned, will there be a port other than Cape Canaveral capable of supporting the new XL ship in 2022.  Logistically it might make sense short term to base both ships in Port Canaveral. One ship could do 7 day cruises Saturday to Saturday while the other ship does 7 day cruises Sunday to Sunday. 

The other big question is if/when will Carnival retire/sell their older ships.  Carnival has not removed a ship from their fleet since Holiday in 2009. Since 2009, they will have added 8 new ships by 2022.  

On 6/2/2019 at 6:28 PM, Gettys84 said:

Wanting to book our spring 2021 cruise, have Bermuda on the Sunshine for fall of this year and Breeze and Mardi Gras booked for next year.  We really had a great cruise on the Horizon in April and would like to go on the ship again.  Anyone think they will move the Horizon or Vista to Port Canaveral?  You can only book the Mardi Gras and Horizon out to April of 2021. Side note, I will need an 8 day to turn platinum, seems dumb to book a seven day and be 1 day short from some nice perks!  Seems like Port Canaveral is more of a 7 day cruise port vs 8 day being offered in Miami.

After my April B2B, I will be only 16 days short of Platinum. I keep looking to do a B2B after that, but they only come to 14 days. I may have to actually book a 16 day Journey cruise, but there was only one that I saw. Hoping more will be added, as Id love to get my perks on that cruise.

After 7 days Breeze cruise in July, I will only be 5 days shorts of Platinum, Will book the Mardi Gras or another ship out of Port Canaveral for 7-8 days cruise for 2020.

I also need 8 days to be Platinum on RCL, But enjoy Carnival much better.

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

My guess is at some point they will move one of the Dream class ships to another port/state, but I doubt it will be New York.  

I think it was the Carnival Dream or some other Dream class ship had an issue docking at New York due the lifeboats or the position of the gangway at the terminal. The ship had to remove a few of the lifeboats and everyone had to get on/off the ship using the gangway on deck 0 instead of the regular terminal gangway on the other decks. 

Dream had a problem in San Juan with the lifeboats and couldn't dock.  Perhaps they had a problem in NYC, but I was on that Transatlantic, and I don't remember it or any delay in debarking.  EM

3 hours ago, Bookbug53 said:

Do you know which Carnival US ports have the capability for LNG? I thought I read somewhere that Canaveral was Carnival's only port that could not only refuel but was large enough to accept these mega ships. 

It will be interesting to see how Carnival plans to refuel the Mardi Gras when she arrives in New York. Most likely they use a barge similar to the current fueling barge they use in all ports 

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The other big question is if/when will Carnival retire/sell their older ships.  Carnival has not removed a ship from their fleet since Holiday in 2009. Since 2009, they will have added 8 new ships by 2022.  

Those clunkers need to go!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

I think it was the Carnival Dream or some other Dream class ship had an issue docking at New York due the lifeboats or the position of the gangway at the terminal. The ship had to remove a few of the lifeboats and everyone had to get on/off the ship using the gangway on deck 0 instead of the regular terminal gangway on the other decks. 

There was an article when the new management is set to run both Manhattan and Redhook it was mentioned the piers would be adjusted to support the Dream Class.

5 hours ago, Bookbug53 said:

The Port of Galveston has actually been making a lot investments in LNG and I remember a while back reading that  Rodger E. Rees(Port Director/CEO for Galveston) was quoted saying goal was to make Galveston the largest export port of LNG in the country(after all in Texas we have lots of the stuff with the Permian Basin). When he came from Port Canaveral he also mentioned increasing revenue from additional cruise traffic by attracting larger ships like Oasis. I'm not sure if anyone has really out these two together, but I think it primes Galveston for one of the new LNG ships.   

The cruise industry has proven to be a cash cow for the Galveston Port Authority. Its the fastest growing port and they are getting ready to build its third cruise terminal.  Right now its the 4th busiest port in the US, but there is a lot a talk about it dethroning Port Everglades currently in the #3 spot. 

Edited by wo5m
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Breeze is moving to Fort Lauderdale and Magic is moving to Miami. The key question is how long will that last.  When Mardi Gras starts sailing next year, four of Carnival’s newest ships will be based in Florida (Mardi Gras, Horizon, Breeze, Magic). My guess is at some point they will move one of the Dream class ships to another port/state, but I doubt it will be New York.  

Where did you get this information from? For now, I only know that for Spring 2021, the Breeze will be repositioned to Fort Lauderdale and Magic will move to Miami, but nothing for Summer 2021, which I was speculating.