Americans on P&O

remharri

I'm sure this question has come up before. But I'm going to go ahead and ask again. 

How is it for Americans on board P&O. I'm looking at possibly booking the Iona for Norway next summer. It will be me (34) and my mother (60) and possibly my brother, his wife and his toddler. My brother and his family will be living in London for the next 3-4 years. 

Me and my mother have cruised a lot on NCL, RCCL and Carnival. So what are the differences that we might notice?

I've met Americans (a few) on P&O.  It's much more British than the lines you mentioned.  The decor isn't as glitzy, more restrained.  I love Andersons on Aurora, like a gentlemans club.  The food is defintely British.  The drinks are wayyy cheaper and no 18% surcharge either.  Don't expect to get the range of cocktails that you get on American ships either.  Entertainment is geared to the UK market. 

My favourite line is RCCL with Celebrity and P&O in joint second.  Having said that, my favourite ship is Aurora.  I'll be on Iona next year too, but to the Med.

2 hours ago, besberry said:

I've met Americans (a few) on P&O.  It's much more British than the lines you mentioned.  The decor isn't as glitzy, more restrained.  I love Andersons on Aurora, like a gentlemans club.  The food is defintely British.  The drinks are wayyy cheaper and no 18% surcharge either.  Don't expect to get the range of cocktails that you get on American ships either.  Entertainment is geared to the UK market. 

My favourite line is RCCL with Celebrity and P&O in joint second.  Having said that, my favourite ship is Aurora.  I'll be on Iona next year too, but to the Med.

Thankfully I'm good with just beer. 🙂 But don't mind a nice frozen drink by the pool, however, I don't think we'll be at the pool very often in Norway. 

Thanks for much for the feedback. I'm thinking of just booking it and experiencing something new. I've visited the UK and you guys are an ok bunch to hang with. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We tend to think you Americans are pretty ok as well.

we've had great fun on our trips and there seems to be Americans involved at some point!

P & O would be a good fit for you I think.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jomf said:

We tend to think you Americans are pretty ok as well.

we've had great fun on our trips and there seems to be Americans involved at some point!

P & O would be a good fit for you I think.

Waiting on a travel agent here in the States to get back to me so we can book in dollars. 

It's a great price on the Iona to Norway compared to the other cruise lines. 

5 hours ago, remharri said:

I'm sure this question has come up before. But I'm going to go ahead and ask again. 

How is it for Americans on board P&O. I'm looking at possibly booking the Iona for Norway next summer. It will be me (34) and my mother (60) and possibly my brother, his wife and his toddler. My brother and his family will be living in London for the next 3-4 years. 

Me and my mother have cruised a lot on NCL, RCCL and Carnival. So what are the differences that we might notice?

You will be on a brand new ship which usually has the best crew.

5200 passengers so plenty of company.

There is a great selection of beers and cocktails very reasonably priced with no gratuities added to drinks or your onboard account.

Most of us like Americans more than Europeans so you will be very welcome.

There are great entertainment in a selection of lounges.

We are looking to book Iona ourselves for next year and are D+ on Royal.

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

You will be on a brand new ship which usually has the best crew.

5200 passengers so plenty of company.

There is a great selection of beers and cocktails very reasonably priced with no gratuities added to drinks or your onboard account.

Most of us like Americans more than Europeans so you will be very welcome.

There are great entertainment in a selection of lounges.

We are looking to book Iona ourselves for next year and are D+ on Royal.

This made me laugh .. we love the Italians and Greeks . Read into that what you will … ha ha

7 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

This made me laugh .. we love the Italians and Greeks . Read into that what you will … ha ha

My late gran was Italian.

We have always got on extremely well with Americans who are always friendly and welcoming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

My late gran was Italian.

We have always got on extremely well with Americans who are always friendly and welcoming.

Have to add the Canadians and Aussies we have met on our Celebrity and P&O cruises.

Thinking about it we have also met some amazing Cypriots and a lovely family from Israel.

Love the mix :-)

Edited by Presto2

Have a look at posts on YouTube by ‘Sean and Stef’. They are US-based cruise enthusiasts who recently did cruises on Ventura and Azura, and have posted interesting YouTube videos/review from the viewpoints of Americans of the first cruise (so far - the second one may still be coming). Interesting stuff!

1 hour ago, tom_uk said:

Have a look at posts on YouTube by ‘Sean and Stef’. They are US-based cruise enthusiasts who recently did cruises on Ventura and Azura, and have posted interesting YouTube videos/review from the viewpoints of Americans of the first cruise (so far - the second one may still be coming). Interesting stuff!

Watching them now!

I got a quote finally from a TA - they are saying final payment for a July cruise 2020 is due December 6 2019. Is that normal for P&O to want their final payment over 7 months in advance?

1 hour ago, Highpeaklad said:

The formal nights are very formal on P&O you’ll need to bring a suit. 

I'll bring my cocktail dress - we hardly get dressed up anymore on cruises. But this would give us something to look forward to.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, remharri said:

Watching them now!

I got a quote finally from a TA - they are saying final payment for a July cruise 2020 is due December 6 2019. Is that normal for P&O to want their final payment over 7 months in advance?

No! In the UK, booking direct with P&O normally requires final payment to the made 13 weeks before embarkation date. Booking with a TA can stretch that out to 16 or 17 weeks beforehand. I've never heard of 7 months..... but perhaps that's because they do little business in N America.

Have you tried speaking to P&O and asking their advice on who to book with?

It is unusual for a final payment to be requested so far in advance, but that could be to do with the TA you are using. Keep in mind our T&Cs when booking are different than you may be used to, and so these might apply to your P&O cruise even though you are using a US agent. For instance, we can't cancel and rebook with no penalty if the fare drops. We can't retrospectively apply any offers that come out after booking. Having sailed on the US lines and frequented the forums I know this is normal practice for booking in the US! In the UK once you book that's it, unless you want to lose your deposit by cancelling and rebooking.

Tips are included with P&O and while you are welcome to tip extra it's not required or expected. I don't want to start a tipping debate here. Just know it's not the same tipping culture as the US so don't feel like you have to tip per drink or whatever.

Food will have a British slant but you will still see some American favourites. You will see a lot of Indian and curry dishes. There'll be some differences, for instance at breakfast our sausages are different to yours and baked beans are a staple! Bacon will usually be back bacon instead of streaky. Just going on the differences I have noticed when sailing US lines.

Just a thought. You do know that in the UK once you have paid a deposit you will not get that money back if you cancel. I know that your system is different and you can get it back. Just to mention it :-)

Just noticed that Squish the Whale has already mentioned this. Great mind :-)

Edited by Presto2

17 hours ago, Presto2 said:

17 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Have to add the Canadians and Aussies we have met on our Celebrity and P&O cruises.

Thinking about it we have also met some amazing Cypriots and a lovely family from Israel.

Love the mix 🙂

I often sail with a small cruise line with a multinational clientelle. British, German, American and French are the main national groups, followed by Australia and New Zealand and (other) European countries. From my experience all the various nationalities mix well with one notable exception, who keep themselves to themselves and decline to converse with lesser nationalities who do not share their language. I will not name the guilty party other than to say that it is not the British!

3 hours ago, SquishTheWhale said:

It is unusual for a final payment to be requested so far in advance, but that could be to do with the TA you are using. Keep in mind our T&Cs when booking are different than you may be used to, and so these might apply to your P&O cruise even though you are using a US agent. For instance, we can't cancel and rebook with no penalty if the fare drops. We can't retrospectively apply any offers that come out after booking. Having sailed on the US lines and frequented the forums I know this is normal practice for booking in the US! In the UK once you book that's it, unless you want to lose your deposit by cancelling and rebooking.

Tips are included with P&O and while you are welcome to tip extra it's not required or expected. I don't want to start a tipping debate here. Just know it's not the same tipping culture as the US so don't feel like you have to tip per drink or whatever.

Food will have a British slant but you will still see some American favourites. You will see a lot of Indian and curry dishes. There'll be some differences, for instance at breakfast our sausages are different to yours and baked beans are a staple! Bacon will usually be back bacon instead of streaky. Just going on the differences I have noticed when sailing US lines.

Thank you so much for all of this information. It looks like the TA had the final payment date wrong - it isn't due until March. From my research, the only way we can book is through 1 particular TA here in the states as they have a contract with P&O.

I love a good British breakfast, so nothing to worry about there as well as Indian food. Everyone loves a good curry! I'm getting pretty excited!  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, remharri said:

Thank you so much for all of this information. It looks like the TA had the final payment date wrong - it isn't due until March. From my research, the only way we can book is through 1 particular TA here in the states as they have a contract with P&O.

I love a good British breakfast, so nothing to worry about there as well as Indian food. Everyone loves a good curry! I'm getting pretty excited!  

You seem like you're the sort of person who does their homework and just goes and has a great time wherever :-)

Hope you enjoy IONA. We're not sure about her yet as she seems very big, but as we like Britannia and the larger Celebrity ships I am sure that we will give her a try one day. Look forward to reading your review in the future :-)

2 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

You seem like you're the sort of person who does their homework and just goes and has a great time wherever 🙂

Hope you enjoy IONA. We're not sure about her yet as she seems very big, but as we like Britannia and the larger Celebrity ships I am sure that we will give her a try one day. Look forward to reading your review in the future 🙂

Oh yes! I love to have a good time and try to make the best out of any situation. 

We love the larger Oasis class ships - so I'm sure we'll love this as well. 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Do you know if P&O drops their prices frequently? I have a feeling that the Iona prices won't drop too much since it's a newer ship.

4 minutes ago, remharri said:

Do you know if P&O drops their prices frequently? I have a feeling that the Iona prices won't drop too much since it's a newer ship.

Very frequently, using dynamic pricing. Very difficult to predict which way they’ll go, but there are some real bargains often near to sailing date. 

Downside though is you can never be sure, and you have to take pot luck on the cabin - no choice. A few other things such as dining choices and port transfers removed too. I wouldn’t recommend it.