Why are World Cruises on Maritime Voyages so cheap?

Evagoblog

I was looking on the VTG grid for World cruises and for Cruise and Maritime V (which are pretty cheap to begin with) they are up to 70% off, the only ones that have discounts that great are Oceania, which are pretty high to begin with so that's understandable.  Was wondering maybe it was become more Americans (including Canadians) take World Cruises so they prefer start near the U.S. (many of those cruises have very low discounts or are sold out) and since Maritime starts in the U.K. (mostly) people nearer that area don't take cruises that much or is it their quality of service and accommodations?  Will also post this also under their site on CC.

Edited by Evagoblog
Called wrong ship name

11 minutes ago, Evagoblog said:

I was looking on the VTG grid for World cruises and for Cruise and Maritime V (which are pretty cheap to begin with) they are up to 70% off, the only ones that have discounts that great are Oceania, which are pretty high to begin with so that's understandable.  Was wondering maybe it was become more Americans (including Canadians) take World Cruises so they prefer start near the U.S. (many of those cruises have very low discounts or are sold out) and since Maritime starts in the U.K. (mostly) people nearer that area don't take cruises that much or is it their quality of service and accommodations?  Will also post this also under their site on CC.

Apples and oranges...be sure that the number of cruise days are the same.  

The CMV sailings that I see are 'segments' of world cruises and are not much less than other lines on a 'per day' basis.

Also, as to percentage discount remember that, like automobiles, the sticker price can be outrageous so that the customer can be 'impressed' with the huge discount being given.

We also noticed the amazing (in a good way) prices for CMV's 120 day World Cruise.  We are talking about a "World" for as little as $100 per passenger day!    For those of us who love older cruise ships and are not seeking lots of amenities, some of the longer CMV itineraries are tempting.  But much of the cruising world wants huge, modern, glitzy, new vessels with all the bells and whistles.   We have a place in our heart for CMV since they rescue older ships, bring them up to necessary safety standards, and have decent prices.  This obviously works well in the English market (a majority of their customers) and its a line we would consider for a future cruise....perhaps even their "World."  And to do it on an old Sitmar ship makes it even more tempting.

Hank

We took one cruise with CMV in 2017 to the Baltic because the dates worked. We didn't expect much, but were surprised at how bad of an experience we received on their newest ship. We thought Princess quality was poor, but CMV were even worse.

It's the classic, you get what you pay for. Personally, I can't imagine going with CMV on a World Cruise, even if they paid me.

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We took one cruise with CMV in 2017 to the Baltic because the dates worked. We didn't expect much, but were surprised at how bad of an experience we received on their newest ship. We thought Princess quality was poor, but CMV were even worse.

It's the classic, you get what you pay for. Personally, I can't imagine going with CMV on a World Cruise, even if they paid me.

I have to agree with this. We did 42 days on Magellan London-Amazon-London - cheap as chips. Itinerary was fantastic - the on board experience not so good. After 42 days we were glad to get off the ship.

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I just might, especially if they paid me. 

But agreed, the standards - most particularly the ages and limitations of the ships  - are quite low.

We've sailed with them just once.

And that wasn't by design - we had booked a cruise on mv Discovery when it was owned by Voyages of Discovery. We'd sailed the ship with Voyages of Discovery a few times before - old and uncomfortable ship but a great crew (all from one Filipino village) and a great atmosphere. But between that booking and sailing date, C&M had bought the ship and the itinerary/bookings. Still a good experience, but different regime & different crew so not up to expectations.

One of their big-discount sales gimmicks is "second passenger travels at half-price". But that's from unrealistic brochure prices, so apply the old maxim - it's what you pay, not what you save.

But, as Hank's post, very good value. And interesting ports-of-call off the beaten track.

On the same subject, inexpensive on-board such as low drinks prices.

Mainly older and British passengers, with traditional needs but lower expectations - especially for activities and entertainment. Think retired lecturers and civil servants and such

Decent MDR food, surroundings & atmosphere.

As age & poverty catch up with us, they're a cruise line that we'd consider for the right itinerary.

But perhaps not a world cruise.

Just MHO as always.

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

Interesting comments on MV Discovery, as it must have been getting on in age. As Island Princess, she was a great vessel - spent 4 months on her in Alaska, Mexico and Trans-Canal, but that was 1979.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Interesting comments on MV Discovery, as it must have been getting on in age. As Island Princess, she was a great vessel - spent 4 months on her in Alaska, Mexico and Trans-Canal, but that was 1979.

Twin sister of "The Love Boat"

Many exterior shots in the show were of the then Island Princess.

Cabin scenes very definitely weren't shot on her.

Or on her sister.

Or in any cabin I've seen on any cruise ship.

More likely the cabin scenes were shot in a 747 hanger :classic_biggrin: 

Went to the great scrapyard in the sky about 6(?) or 7(?) years ago, long after she should have been retired.

But sometimes there's an affection for a ship ❤️. And for her crew ❤️. And for her vagabond itineraries. ❤️

Oh - and  for her ticket prices :classic_wink:

Great value... As long as you dont care about "shipboard amenities".    We did a 2 week cruise around the British isles  aboard the Astoria.   (Built in 1947)    Small ship, cramped ship, low ceilings and few bar/lounges/public spaces.  If you want entertainment..... FORGEABOUTIT.    

In summery, if you MAIN criteria is the itinerary,  it's a great value.   

48 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Or on her sister.

Went to the great scrapyard in the sky about 6(?) or 7(?) years ago, long after she should have been retired.

But sometimes there's an affection for a ship ❤️. And for her crew ❤️. And for her vagabond itineraries. ❤️

There was someone on the Princess cruise boards who did camera work on "the Love Boat". He had explained that the cruise rooms had to be so large in order to get camera equipment in it to shoot from different angles. I wished I remember his screen name - he was very informative. 

My Mom sailed on the Sun Princess in 1984.

I admit that I've never really looked at world cruise itineraries -- still working for the next few years, so no real point. But I did go take a look at the CMV one.  Is it normal to have so many sea days?  Seems they are passing by places that are frequent/good/interesting cruise ports on their route (in some areas) but not stopping, e.g. in the Med.  I do understand about distances in the Pacific.

Just wondering if that is one reason for the lesser cost...?

On 6/8/2019 at 5:59 PM, Evagoblog said:

Ships based in the UK have been doing world cruises for years, because the weather is too cold for the usual itineraries;  P&O's Aurora was specifically built for world cruising, and I think I heard the same for Oriana. Cunard are noted for this, and have added NY and Hamburg as starter ports over the past few years.

Even little Fred Olsen has always had tiny Black Watch doing a world cruise for years, but appears to have stopped now- does long trips instead. Perhaps C&M have filled that gap, for a small, old ship. They must be doing well, as I've read that they're adding yet another ship to their fleet shortly.

We're very interested in some of their itineraries, although not a worldie!

Cruised from Singapore to London last year as segment of world cruise. Fantastic itinerary, great prices. Why so cheap?  My thoughts, just for clarification, Elite on Princess, have cruised on Celebrity, RCI, MSC, P&O Aust, Carnival and booked on Cunard in Oct, so have an idea of what happens on cruise ships.

Food - Chefs were mainly Indian, quality average, afternoon tea scones were useful in Pirate zone, could have been weapons lol

Entertainment - some  good acts, some very mediocre. 

On board entertainment, trivia, bingo, lectures, very ordinary 

Ship itself, very dated, bit tired, have sailed on same ship when it was it was Pacific Pearl and it has gone downhill.

Staff - often very offhand

Itinerary, suited me but they bypassed a lot of ports in Med, my thoughts port charges too high.

would I sail with them again?  Yes, if price and itinerary ok. I do not need to have bells and whistles or be entertained all the time.  Research carefully, and if you are prepared to go with the flow for a good price, go for it.

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I admit that I've never really looked at world cruise itineraries -- still working for the next few years, so no real point. But I did go take a look at the CMV one.  Is it normal to have so many sea days?  Seems they are passing by places that are frequent/good/interesting cruise ports on their route (in some areas) but not stopping, e.g. in the Med.  I do understand about distances in the Pacific.

Just wondering if that is one reason for the lesser cost...?

Lots of sea days are normal on World Cruises or just about any cruise that involves a transpacific segment.  For most that book world cruises the sea days are a major attraction.  But you don't even need a World to run into the sea day issue.  We did an Oosterdam cruise from Seattle to Auckland and 12 of our first 14 days were at Sea.  The other two days were an overnight stop at Honolulu...where we almost didn't bother getting off the ship :).  So that was a 2 week segment with only one port :).

Hank

21 hours ago, John Bull said:

Or on her sister.

Affirmative, the Pacific Princess was used primarily for filming. I only worked on Island & Sun and we never had camera crews aboard, always the Pacific.

Memory is a little hazy, but I believe they filmed on Island one of the first years. I left in 1981, so no idea after that. Yes the cabin scenes and most alleyways were shot in the studio.

Recall reading about 6 or 7 years ago, she was detained by MCA on her first CMV voyage - issues with crew training.

Ran up onto the beach at Alang, India for scrapping in 14/15. Last winter I research the demise of all my old ships. Sadly none are left sailing.