Euro vs Kuna vs USD

Going to Italy, Croatia, Greece and Montenegro.  Which is the best currency to use? I have heard that in Croatia is Kuna only? Can you use Euro in all ports, or USD? First time in Europe for me.

The Euro is the currency in all those countries except Croatia.

Word is that the kuna is the only currency accepted in Croatia, but we have used euros there in a couple of places.

Certainly more chance with euros than with USD.

But credit cards are widely used in Croatia.

So I suggest you rely on plastic for significant purchases like meals & souvenirs and obtain just a few kuna, mebbe $20-worth per person per day, for coffees, ice-creams, local buses and such.

And take ashore some of your euros and CAD as a back-up.

The euros might be accepted at outlets

You'd have to change your CAD at an exchange bureau, but that avoids the double-whammy of more commission on top of the commission you'd have already paid for euros or USD.

JB :classic_smile:

We did exactly what John B suggests.  There were signs in some shops with prices in euros.  If I remember correctly, the price to walk the wall was in kunas only, although credit card was the way to go.  We took about $20 in kunas and used it for ice cream at the end of the day.

Don't be surprised if you try to tender US currency in Europe and are met with a look of absolute disgust.  Rule of thumb, if you wouldn't take their currency in the US, why would you expect them to take ours there?  It would fall under the "Ugly American" umbrella.

A handful of places in Dubrovnik will take Euros--usually at a poor exchange rate. Plan on using Kuna and plastic.  Some places in Europe won't take a credit card that isn't chip and pin.  Have your bank issue you one.

• Like 1

I just did a land trip to Croatia.  You will not find anyplace that will take US dollars.  The only place I ever found that would take US currency in Europe was a carpet shop in Casablanca, which is Africa, but it was on my Europe cruise. Only some stores in Dubvronik ( the tourist main street) advertised they would accept Euros.  Restaurants and the museums in town, will not take Euros. For one day, if you are only in Dubvronik, I wouldn't exchange any money as all the places there will take a card. I didn't try to use a card at the ice cream place so that may be the only limit in the old town.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 8:39 PM, DKNE said:

Going to Italy, Croatia, Greece and Montenegro.  Which is the best currency to use? I have heard that in Croatia is Kuna only? Can you use Euro in all ports, or USD? First time in Europe for me.

Just got off the 6/23 sailing of  the NCL Star that did a stop in Dubvronik, we found the taxi cabs and the three random stores we made purchases all took Euros. The exchange rate was probably 90% of the going rate, dang the Taxi cab fares were posted in Euro's at the port, LOL.  They ain't stupid, don't take Euros, lose a sale, but YMMV. 

On 7/4/2019 at 4:01 PM, chipmaster said:

Just got off the 6/23 sailing of  the NCL Star that did a stop in Dubvronik, we found the taxi cabs and the three random stores we made purchases all took Euros. The exchange rate was probably 90% of the going rate, dang the Taxi cab fares were posted in Euro's at the port, LOL.  They ain't stupid, don't take Euros, lose a sale, but YMMV. 

Thank you! I am going on the Norwegian Star next week. How did you like the ship? Any tips you have to share? First time on Norwegian and first time to Europe!

3 hours ago, DKNE said:

Thank you! I am going on the Norwegian Star next week. How did you like the ship? Any tips you have to share? First time on Norwegian and first time to Europe!

My review for NCL looks like it hasn't posted so top 4 quick thoughts?

1) Make special dining as early as you can and spring for it, we found main dinning room very average to below avg.

2) Plan tendering ports carefully, in two of the ports if you weren't on a tour or have premium expect/plan to get off around 2 hours after tendering start

3) O'Sheehan's was our choice late night place, good eats but limited and slow service if it is full, the daily evening specials good.

4) On our sailing Kotor, Mykonos, Argostoli and Corfu were so easy to DIY, we only did ship tour Santorini

On 7/7/2019 at 5:16 PM, chipmaster said:

My review for NCL looks like it hasn't posted so top 4 quick thoughts?

1) Make special dining as early as you can and spring for it, we found main dinning room very average to below avg.

2) Plan tendering ports carefully, in two of the ports if you weren't on a tour or have premium expect/plan to get off around 2 hours after tendering start

3) O'Sheehan's was our choice late night place, good eats but limited and slow service if it is full, the daily evening specials good.

4) On our sailing Kotor, Mykonos, Argostoli and Corfu were so easy to DIY, we only did ship tour Santorini

Thanks!! We aren't planning on doing specialty dining.

We have 3 excursions booked for Santorini, Mykonos and Athens through shore excursions, do you think they will allow us off the ship early, as we didn't book with NCL?

2 hours ago, DKNE said:

Thanks!! We aren't planning on doing specialty dining.

We have 3 excursions booked for Santorini, Mykonos and Athens through shore excursions, do you think they will allow us off the ship early, as we didn't book with NCL?

If you don't have a tour thru NCL then you have nothing special.  You will need to get their early for tendering ticket, and even then as the first one you still are behind the elites and tours.    At Kotor they didnt' start doing the regular tendering till a good hour and half after the whole process started.

The NCL does have a some kind of reward / tier system for repeat customers, I can't claim to know, but they did mention on those with those higher tiers had both priority tendering ( no ticket needed I think, and I think seperate route/queue for both tendering and disembarkation, a very valuable perk, just like airline zone 1 boarding for elites, LOL )

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 10:21 PM, chipmaster said:

If you don't have a tour thru NCL then you have nothing special.  You will need to get their early for tendering ticket, and even then as the first one you still are behind the elites and tours.    At Kotor they didnt' start doing the regular tendering till a good hour and half after the whole process started.

The NCL does have a some kind of reward / tier system for repeat customers, I can't claim to know, but they did mention on those with those higher tiers had both priority tendering ( no ticket needed I think, and I think seperate route/queue for both tendering and disembarkation, a very valuable perk, just like airline zone 1 boarding for elites, LOL )

Back from our cruise. We actually had tender boat #1 for both Kotor as well as Santorini.  I don't recall hearing higher tiered guests being able to leave the ship early. I guess we were lucky 🙂

6 hours ago, DKNE said:

Back from our cruise. We actually had tender boat #1 for both Kotor as well as Santorini.  I don't recall hearing higher tiered guests being able to leave the ship early. I guess we were lucky 🙂

how it works that you are able to join end of queue at any time

crew will check your keycard to make sure you are at that elite level

no tannoy announcements