Trading Elite bar setup for coffee package

denmarks

Is there any indication on the statement available from the kiosks that you have 2 coffee cards. I thought I saw someone say it appeared with the full charge and then showed a credit. I plan to call room service upon boarding to switch out the bar setup for the coffee package. How will know if it has been activated other than asking at the coffee bar? 

What should be done it have every purchase show up in the statement with a credit after it to make it easy to keep track.

48 minutes ago, denmarks said:

How will know if it has been activated other than asking at the coffee bar? 

You have to ask, I haven't seen any other way.  You would think your onboard folio would show how many you have used, but it doesn't either. 

6 minutes ago, skynight said:

Just ask the barista how many coffees you have remaining. You might also be able to retain the slip used to prepare the drink if you ask.

Is it always possible to get the slip and does it actually contain the count?

I sent an email to Princess and just received a phone call on the subject. There is no way to get a printed record of coffee package usage. You must ask the barista. I recommended that it be included on the ledger or a printed receipt.

Do you think this is done on purpose to get people to order more than is in the package? It seems a simple programming change to log the purchase and then show a credit after it. 

2 hours ago, denmarks said:

I sent an email to Princess and just received a phone call on the subject. There is no way to get a printed record of coffee package usage. You must ask the barista. I recommended that it be included on the ledger or a printed receipt.

Do you think this is done on purpose to get people to order more than is in the package? It seems a simple programming change to log the purchase and then show a credit after it. 

No, I do not think is is a trick sales gimmick. Believe it is just the way programers think, no receipts, no paper. For coffee I don't think it's a big issue. Just ask the barista to swipe your card or medallion prior to it's use.If you run out they will tell you.

23 minutes ago, skynight said:

No, I do not think is is a trick sales gimmick. Believe it is just the way programers think, no receipts, no paper. For coffee I don't think it's aceours big issue. Just ask the barista to swipe your card or medallion prior to it's use.If you run out they will tell you.y

We had it  twice on  our 15 + cruises that the barista double punched the card for 1 cappuccino by accident. We noticed it right away and the problem was solved but what for recause would you have if they swipe the medallion card twice by accident? Is there a way for me to check apart from keeping a paper trail.

Theo

8 minutes ago, Renmar said:

We had it  twice on  our 15 + cruises that the barista double punched the card for 1 cappuccino by accident. We noticed it right away and the problem was solved but what for recause would you have if they swipe the medallion card twice by accident? Is there a way for me to check apart from keeping a paper trail.

Theo

I will just have to write down the date, time, and count every time I get a drink. If at some point the count is too low I would quickly go to the front desk. Do you have to tell the barista that you are getting the package drink and not paying? Does he actually see a count or just a reject when you run out?

12 minutes ago, denmarks said:

I will just have to write down the date, time, and count every time I get a drink. If at some point the count is too low I would quickly go to the front desk. Do you have to tell the barista that you are getting the package drink and not paying? Does he actually see a count or just a reject when you run out?

When they swipe your card or medallion it shows that you have the package and how many specialty coffees are remaining. If you just ask for brewed coffee the barisita knows you have the package when they swipe your card.

I assume it is the same issue when keeping track of the 15 alcoholic drinks per day with the PDP, but very few people are affected.

When the PDP was first introduced, Princess required you to sign a zero charge receipt and you received a copy.  It was a PIA.  

Stupid. Simple programming. It shows on the barrista's computer so they are tracking it and it could show on Princess@Sea or whatever you use to track your folio. Most likely simply the fact that Princess hires inept IT people. They people who do the different things don't talk with each other or work together. It's the same in many places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Stupid. Simple programming. It shows on the barrista's computer so they are tracking it and it could show on Princess@Sea or whatever you use to track your folio. Most likely simply the fact that Princess hires inept IT people. They people who do the different things don't talk with each other or work together. It's the same in many places.

I agree. I was a programmer for 20 years. They have an online system so the information is available at any point. It would be simple to print it on the ledgers printed at the kiosks. You must understand that the IT department gets its instructions from the user. They can not just add a feature on their own but can recommend it.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:39 PM, denmarks said:

I thought I saw someone say it appeared with the full charge and then showed a credit. 

That was my experience on the Royal last month when I exchanged my mini-bar set-up for the coffee “cards.” 

They explained that they put the charge on your folio until the mini-bar exchange is recorded. That’s so you can start using it immediately and your folio/Medallion shows you have the package. The exchange was recorded overnight and the charge disappeared. 

My question is: now that the new soda card includes coffee, will we be able to exchange the mini-bar for the soda/coffee package? 

8 minutes ago, denmarks said:

I agree. I was a programmer for 20 years. They have an online system so the information is available at any point. It would be simple to print it on the ledgers printed at the kiosks. You must understand that the IT department gets its instructions from the user. They can not just add a feature on their own but can recommend it.

Sadly the IT folks often have to contend with grandiose promises made by the Marketing people who have absolutely zero clue about the things they promise. I saw that a lot.

3 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

My question is: now that the new soda card includes coffee, will we be able to exchange the mini-bar for the soda/coffee package? 

Wow. Excellent question. I doubt anybody has the answer to that yet - possibly not even Princess. Oh, 'm sure someone at Princess must know but I don't have confidence that the information has been properly disseminated to the staff at large or even the phone reps.

Edited by Thrak

2 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

That was my experience on the Royal last month when I exchanged my mini-bar set-up for the coffee “cards.” 

They explained that they put the charge on your folio until the mini-bar exchange is recorded. That’s so you can start using it immediately and your folio/Medallion shows you have the package. The exchange was recorded overnight and the charge disappeared. 

No way.  Significant difference in price and what is included in the two packages.

10 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

I doubt it, they value that new package at $23/day, whereas the coffee only is $5.  Can't see them doing that, although now that I type it, the actual cost of that new package is probably $1/day to them if you drink a lot of soda/mocktails/coffee.  So maybe.

4 hours ago, ann141 said:

If you swap the Elite mini bar for 2 coffee packages can you start ordering immediately or do you have to wait for confirmation that it has been added to your card?

You have to give room service time to come swap it, then they add it to your account.  We usually call as soon as we board to ask for the swap, then after muster drill, it's done and we can start using it, that has been our experience.

11 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

No you will be able to swap your mini bar set up for 2 coffee grounds package but not the new soda and coffee package.

4 hours ago, ann141 said:

If you swap the Elite mini bar for 2 coffee packages can you start ordering immediately or do you have to wait for confirmation that it has been added to your card?

@Pam in CA answered this in post 14. Did you see that, or were you just looking for confirmation? I am not sure if the information she was given is correct but it makes sense.  To be sure, you can go to the IC with your cruise card (or medallion) and they can tell you if the package is already loaded onto your account.

11 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

Edited by Jersey42

10 hours ago, ann141 said:

It may depend on the ship. We swapped our Elite mini bar for the 2 coffee packages on the Star Princess Alaska cruise in April this year. I called room service right after lunch the day we boarded and they came shortly thereafter to take the mini bar things out. The person on the phone said it would take until the following day for the coffee cards to be activated. However, it took until the day after they said it would be activated  to finally be able to use the coffee cards.