Celebrity ships are sailing full?

Mynki

I've read that Celebrity ships are sailing at full capacity or very close to it a lot over the last two years. When looking it appeared to be true. 

However Edge certainly isn't as has been discussed elsewhere. And as we're in Florida on vacation for august I've just looked at Equinox sailings out of interest. With just a couple of months to go a well known third party website is reporting the percentage of rooms currently available :-

3rd august 41%
10th august 46%
17 august 36%
24th august 41%
31 august 44%

I know the fishy site can be wrong at times so but a cursory check on Celebrity UK's website suggests that these figures are accurate showing huge numbers of cabins still available. I also appreciate august is not a good time to sail in the Caribbean. But these figures seem very high to me. Is this normal at this time of year? 

3 hours ago, Mynki said:

With just a couple of months to go a well known third party website is reporting the percentage of rooms currently available :-

3rd august 41%
10th august 46%
17 august 36%
24th august 41%
31 august 44%

I know the fishy site can be wrong at times so but a cursory check on Celebrity UK's website suggests that these figures are accurate showing huge numbers of cabins still available. I also appreciate august is not a good time to sail in the Caribbean. But these figures seem very high to me. Is this normal at this time of year? 

There's still 50 - 80 days remaining before any of these dates.

6 bookings per day on any of these dates would result in:

3rd august 41% - 300 more bookings
10th august 46% - 342 more bookings
17 august 36% -  390 more bookings
24th august 41% - 438
31 august 44% - 480 more bookings

The only answer to whether if this is normal can only be answered by a Celebrity Revenue Mgmt and Yield employee. Chances are they would not post that info here.

Anyone else would just be speculating

• Like 1

Several weird things going on with certain cruises.On the Infinity.   We have the April 16th 2020 booked and a few months ago they stopped taking bookings for the April 16th cruise.  When I called they said the bookings were closed for maintenance.

Then I called a couple weeks ago because in addition to the April 16th 2020 they added the April 6 2020 cruise bookings to the maintenance.  No one knows why they stopped taking bookings.  They are still taking bookings on the April 11th cruise.  And the ship is chartered for the April 20, 2020 sailing.

The percentages shown are not reflective of the total number of cabins available. It’s a percentage of the cabin categories available. If there was one single C1 cabin open, it would show that as an entire category with availability. 

I also doubt Caribbean cruises in August are a good metric to judge overall performance. I myself would rather not go bake in the FL and Caribbean heat and humidity in August. Late August is also when summer travel comes to a halt. 

4 hours ago, Mynki said:

I've read that Celebrity ships are sailing at full capacity or very close to it a lot over the last two years. When looking it appeared to be true. 

However Edge certainly isn't as has been discussed elsewhere. And as we're in Florida on vacation for august I've just looked at Equinox sailings out of interest. With just a couple of months to go a well known third party website is reporting the percentage of rooms currently available :-

3rd august 41%
10th august 46%
17 august 36%
24th august 41%
31 august 44%

42 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

The percentages shown are not reflective of the total number of cabins available. It’s a percentage of the cabin categories available. If there was one single C1 cabin open, it would show that as an entire category with availability. 

I also doubt Caribbean cruises in August are a good metric to judge overall performance. I myself would rather not go bake in the FL and Caribbean heat and humidity in August. Late August is also when summer travel comes to a halt. 

So

4 hours ago, Mynki said:

3rd august 41%
10th august 46%
17 august 36%
24th august 41%
31 august 44%

Sometimes you can check by doing mock bookings on the celebrity website.  Check each category-  However, many people wait to book a couple of weeks before the sailing to get great deals- also I believe they hold back some rooms for VIP's and passengers who want to change cabins.  Also the Move Up program also helps to fill remaining cabins.  Also, it is great if the ship isn't completely full!  No chair hog problems or problems making reservations for specialty restaurants and shore X's!

Edited by Cruise a holic

On Edge class ship.The revenue increased even the Passengers decreased.Why Celebrity care.🙄

As long as Suite passengers willing to pay for higher prices and enjoying their cruises.

I don't think Celebrity care.

Edited by CAicruiser

22 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

So

Sometimes you can check by doing mock bookings on the celebrity website.  Check each category-  However, many people wait to book a couple of weeks before the sailing to get great deals- also I believe they hold back some rooms for VIP's and passengers who want to change cabins.  Also the Move Up program also helps to fill remaining cabins.  Also, it is great if the ship isn't completely full!  No chair hog problems or problems making reservations for specialty restaurants and shore X's!

Hi, I'm aware of all that. When searching for Caribbean sailings over the last few years (Over winter) the amount of rooms available are nowhere near the numbers available at around two months out.  

I use the Celebrity UK site to validate exactly which cabins are available as it details all of the inventory that can be booked there and then. 

Edited by Mynki

I have done similar analysis in the past.... looking at an online site and comparing it to celebrity... to help validate that specific cabins are actually available.  Now someone pointed out to me that more cabins might be sold than show up... because of those who have reserved a 'guaranteed' cabin class. Those would not be reflected... so while... say 50 A1 cabins might show up as being available... there could be 50 people who have paid less for a guaranteed veranda cabin.  However, I can not believe there are huge numbers of people who purchase guaranteed cabin... well in advance of the trip... but I could be wrong.   Still I think if you track by cabin type over time... you can get an idea on how fully booked the ship is... just not totally accurate because of these outstanding cabins. We sailed on one of Edge's inaugural cruises and I noted about 150 IV cabins remaining..days before sailing. It did seem to me that the ship was not full..some people were upgraded upon arrival...

59 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

How many categories do you believe there are on Equinox? Using this image I count 33 with 27 detailing open cabins. The site reports 41% category availability. So can you explain how that works?

cf.jpg

I  appreciate with the guaranteed categories such as W, XA and Z may skew results. 

2 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

While I don’t believe they are sailing full, that site has been having issues for a while now. I wouldn’t put much faith in it. Some HAL prices haven’t moved in a year. 

I read that hence my comment in the opening post. That being said I've still had regular emails when tracking specific Celebrity cruises via the email alerts so it may be that just part of the site has stopped working? 

However I've just taken a look at the 28th august Equinox sailing on the Celebrity UK website. It shows 693 open cabins as of today. I did not include guarantee options, obviously. If you work on double occupancy (Yep, I know there could be more as some rooms accommodate 3 and 4 pax) that equates to 1386 pax. 

She carries 2850pax fully loaded. So 41% of 2850 is 1168. So it looks like there is actually more capacity available on that sailing as to what the third party site is reporting. The ship appears to be around 48.5% empty as of now. People must really hate the heat and humidity....

14 minutes ago, Mynki said:

However I've just taken a look at the 28th august Equinox sailing on the Celebrity UK website. It shows 693 open cabins as of today. I did not include guarantee options, obviously. If you work on double occupancy (Yep, I know there could be more as some rooms accommodate 3 and 4 pax) that equates to 1386 pax. 

She carries 2850pax fully loaded. So 41% of 2850 is 1168. So it looks like there is actually more capacity available on that sailing as to what the third party site is reporting. The ship appears to be around 48.5% empty as of now. People must really hate the heat and humidity....

Again, this is 80 days, 2 and a half months from now, using data from an unofficial 3rd party website.

What point are you trying to make?

2 minutes ago, AdGuyMG said:

Again, this is 80 days, 2 and a half months from now, using data from an unofficial 3rd party website.

What point are you trying to make?

Errrrrr.... The numbers in post 12 which you have chosen to quote come from www.celebritycruises.co.uk which is an OFFICIAL Celebrity website. 

There's a clue in post 8 but don't worry if you can't understand my post. Just scroll onto the next thread and enjoy your day. :) 

1 hour ago, Mynki said:

Hi, I'm aware of all that. When searching for Caribbean sailings over the last few years (Over winter) the amount of rooms available are nowhere near the numbers available at around two months out.  

I use the Celebrity UK site to validate exactly which cabins are available as it details all of the inventory that can be booked there and then. 

What are you finding the rates of open cabins to be for other  cruises lines using the same time frame & itineraries?  

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

What are you finding the rates of open cabins to be for other  cruises lines using the same time frame & itineraries?  

I'm only really following X, Ponant and Ritz Carlton at the moment. You can't really compare itineraries or cabin numbers of those two with X. :) 

I think it's hard to draw conclusions without knowing what these numbers looked like in the past.  Even then, pricing is certainly a factor, too.

Percent of the ship sailing full is also misleading if the cabins end up occupied but were practically given away by the time the sailing rolls around.